Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although there were some threads about this early in the 3rd gen's life, it wasn't really possible to get a complete perspective until many years later. Now that the 3rd gen has been around for almost two full decades, I think we have a more complete perspective about what there is to like and dislike about this generation. Curious to hear y'all's thoughts.

I'll start.

• When compared to the 2nd gen, it doesn't look all that dated (especially the 08-10 design)
  • Very reliable with just a few main issues that are common and well documented
  • Available without VCM
  • Good build quality, you can tell that despite it being assembled in the USA, it was made with the special care and attention to detail that the Japanese are known for
  • I really like the interior quality, both the carpets and the seats
  • Good hauling ability from an interior space perspective, especially with the foldable center tray
  • Most OEM parts are still reasonably easy to find
  • With the exception of the LX, the key fob and key are two separate units, which is good from the perspective of simple fob replacement
Dislikes:
  • Tire lifespan is not that great (although this is true for basically all minivans)
  • The brakes leave plenty to be desired
  • Paint quality could be better
  • CD player doesn't have MP3 decoder for 05-07 models

·
Registered
1 Posts
I owned a 2012 EXL for 3 years and now have been driving a 2008 EX for several months.
Likes: I feel the 2008 model provides better handling than 2012, giving you confidence especially in high speed.
Like the trey in the front row can be retracted so it’s so easy to go to the back if needed.

Dislikes: the power steering is heavier to maneuver compare with newer model.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Owned a 2002 before I sold it for a 2010, both EXL. Both are very similar IMO. But the 2002 seems more nimble on driving it. Feels lighter as expected in older cars with less electronics.

The 2nd gen feels like better storage in the back when seats are folded and middle row taken out. But I believe they are the same size. Also the 2nd gen has a flat floor board then the 3rd.

Of course the 3rd gen is much quieter with more sound proof material vs the 2nd.

Windows are different. 3rd gen you can operate 4 windows except the far rear ones. 2nd gen had to prop the far rear one for vent.

3rd gen has a floor storage since the spare that gets moved to the back window. I seriously don't know how they fit a spare there.

3rd gen with a 110v plug in the rear seat for external input to the entertainment system. none on 2nd.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I miss the keylock on the tailgate and passenger door. With the 2nd (& 1st) gen I could leave the remote at home or in my bag, now I have to fumble with the remote. Found the sliding door mysteriously open, must have the wrong button at some point.:oops:
Do like the quieter ride.
Better cupholders. :coffee::giggle:(y)
Absolutely love being able to open/close all 4 windows with the key or remote! :love:

Reactions: WiiMaster

·
Registered
564 Posts
  • 8-passenger seating (particularly on the early models with the stowable jump seat)
  • Sound quality is pretty good

Dislikes:
  • Thousand-dollar motor mounts
  • Brakes
  • Ancient GPS system

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
Like about 3rd Gen:
Has just enough gadgets that makes drivers/passengers comfortable, but not OVERLY so that things will be too expensive to fix or go bad.
Runs well - my '06 on original engine/tranny is at 175k and it is one with "weak" transmission.
My leather seat held up GREAT even with my little kids abused heck out of them - one day I caught one of the kids jamming the pen to the seats repeatedly - now they are adults. :(
Other than usual issues, did not suffer from "unknown" issues requiring a lot of fixes.
Very reasonable cost of extended warranty (when I did have it - now expired of course) - $1400 for 8 yrs 115K miles bumper to bumper $0 deductible. GPS screen, Motor mounts, PS pump crapped out among other things during the warranty period - GPS screen alone was $1100 replacement at the time and I understand many got Motor mounts replaced under warranty and I believe PS pump had recall warranty but peace of mind was worth $300 extra - if any - it cost me eventually.
Comfortable ride, roomy.

Do not like about 3rd Gen:
Voice control NEVER worked right for me.
Braking is heavy but it is heavy car.

·
Registered
4,800 Posts
Dislikes:
Body rust at the rear fenders near the wheel wells. Both sides. This seems to be a very common rust spot.
Accessory power outlets are only powered when key is turned on.

Common issues such as side door rollers and rear latch, VCM, water intrusion, random alarms, ….

·
Registered
283 Posts
My previous vans were 1995 Mercury Villager (same as Nissan Quest) and 2005 Chrysler Town & Country (still own). We also own two V6 Accords.

Likes: Honda J35 engine power and torque is awesome. The same engine in an Accord makes for a quick car. Handling of the Ody is very car like. Considering its a van the cornering feel is excellent. Power sliding doors and liftgate are very convenient. Leather interior is pretty sturdy. Still looks modern. Really comfortable for 7 people on long drives. Handles nice fully loaded. I wish I had switched to Honda years ago.

Dislikes: Odd Honda specific quirks like VCM, front spool valve leaks, timing belt not chain and strange electrical gremlins none of my other cars have.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I don't have anything to compare it.....Van is awesome.

Pros:
  • Roomy
  • Good fuel economy
  • Relatively easy to work on
  • Ride quality (including acceleration)
  • Looks good after all these years.
Cons:
  • VCM of course
  • Oil consumption/burning
  • Rust in the rear quarter panels (seems like Honda trademark). Granted, may be with extra care one could avoid/slow it.
  • VSA that is tied to TPMS (can't turn VSA off if TPMS light is on).
  • Gaps in interior panels. I bet I can put gloves into gloves compartment without opening the lid.
  • I would add combination of interference engine and timing belt. I prefer at least timing chain with some clear warning sign that it needs to be replaced (hopefully never).
  • Second row seats are breaking back heavy. And kind on unwieldy. Never ejoyed taking them in and out.
  • Wrestling with plastic parts and fasteners can be frustrating, but I guess this applies to all vehicles nowadays.
I had never owned other minivans when we got ours and it was an eye opening experience. The pleasure of going on long trips doubled due to aforementioned ride quality (I guess seats also help) and huge cargo space, and you can sleep in the thing comfortably if you find yourself freezing in a tent.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Dislike: I have a 2002 Mazda B3000 with 304k miles, and I never mess with it, it just keeps driving. However, my Odyssey feels like if I put the wrong transmission fluid or wrong part then it'll break. I've replaced so many parts, mostly due to the timing belt, and I keep wondering when the next thing will go wrong. EGR valve, some belt tensioner, a battery going out like clockwork every 2 years, etc. My Mazda? I can't remember the last time I changed a part. The van eats tires, too, but my Mazda will go 70k easy on the same set.

What do I like? For our large family, the van is perfect. Cavernous space. Smooth ride. Paid for. Cruises like a dream down the interstate, engine humming along at 70+mph like it's barely trying. Had a friend with an Expedition recently ride with us, and they couldn't believe how smoothly it rode, especially for a 2010 with 217k miles. Oh, and cup holders everywhere.

When we get our next vehicle, I intend to keep the van as my daily and run it into the ground. Maybe convert it to a camper for when I take trips.

·
Registered
1,353 Posts
2006 EXL-RES

Can carry 8 passengers
RES sound system is actually pretty good
2nd row window sunscreen shades
In floor storage
Location of shift lever
Pretty decent reliability (on ours)
Fold down 3rd row
Like view from front seat how the hood drops off
Good gas mileage
Fairly quiet

Dislikes:
No backup camera
Leather seats are hard as a rock
Tiger stripes in thin silver paint
Steering wheel lighting almost non existent
Upper glove box has huge gap
Lower glovebox alignment way off
Heated seats take forever to heat up
Pull out cup holder is a total joke
Cup holders on tray are useless
Lower hidden drawer near floor is really loose
VCM
No auto on headlights
No ac condenser grill protection
No timing chain
Interior lighting if manually turned on, stays on and doesn’t time out

·
Registered
55 Posts
My likes/dislikes have been widely covered by others. Let me add some more personal opinions:

1. Like: as a tall driver it is pretty damn close to a perfect driving position for me, with very comfortable seats. This plus the cavernous capacity make it the ultimate road trip machine. Miles just melt away on the highway. This is a huge plus to me.
2. Like: overall build quality and solidity. It feels like a premium vehicle. Its design occurred in the heyday of the minivan, and predates the financial meltdown of 2008 - before cost cutting took its toll.
3. Like: powertrain. Engine and transmission work very well together for the most part and I think they will last as long as I care to own the vehicle.
4. Like: easy DIY maintenance on some key things. Oil, trans fluid, air filters, etc are all easy.
4. Dislike: little things seem to go wrong on a regular basis. None are a big deal by themselves, but collectively they wear on me. Many I can deal with myself, others require a shop for impressive amounts of money. I guess this is part of owning a 15 year old vehicle but it's a constant flow of issues, and more than other older cars I've owned in the past.
5. Dislike: body rust. Frame seems to avoid rust quite well but the body is starting to look a bit rough. Trying to ignore this cosmetic issue but it does annoy me.
6. Like: Odyclub. Whatever issue you have, chances are someone here has had it as well, and very often they have posted a video on how to fix it. The people here are generally awesome!
7. Dislike: fuel economy in the city, particularly in winter. 11 mpg is a tough pill to swallow at these prices.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
4,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
6. Like: Odyclub. Whatever issue you have, chances are someone here has had it as well, and very often they have posted a video on how to fix it. The people here are generally awesome!
I think this is really a testament to how consistent the issues are with Honda. There's generally only a few common issues with very few issues that haven't been seen before.

·
Registered
116 Posts
A few things I don't like about 2006 EX-L:

Location of oil filter - have to put something underneath otherwise oil everywhere??
No auto on headlights - this is really annoying in 2022 and must have been in 2006 too!!
VSM and related BS!
Brakes are kind of weak but manageable.
Timing belt - WTH!!

Things I like:

Surprisingly handling is pretty good considering it's a minivan.
can sit 8!
Love to use it as a pick up truck after I remove middle row seats!!

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Location of oil filter - have to put something underneath otherwise oil everywhere??
It was that way on the 2nd Gen as well. At least it wasn't in the back of the engine like on my 1st Gen! You could fashion a splash shield (there's a thread or 2 somewhere about this) or put a plastic bag around the filter when you remove it. I cut the bottom out of a 1 gallon jug and let the filter and the oil drop into it.
Agree with your pros!

Reactions: alpha1976

·
Registered
116 Posts
It was that way on the 2nd Gen as well. At least it wasn't in the back of the engine like on my 1st Gen! You could fashion a splash shield (there's a thread or 2 somewhere about this) or put a plastic bag around the filter when you remove it. I cut the bottom out of a 1 gallon jug and let the filter and the oil drop into it.
Agree with your pros!
I actually found something even better that is available at least in our kitchen. 12 oz plastic bowl! Fits easily and perfectly!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got a used EX (good thing because I was ignorant of the VCM dumpster fire) and it's pretty good. The only things I despise are the interior lights that will kill your battery (was not a problem with my 2001 sienna) and the A-pillars are atrocious to see around. You can almost hide a semi behind the driver side pillar if it's coming from the wrong angle.
Mpg isn't the best but that's not the selling point with a family hauler.
It has good 'get up and go' to its favor.
Audio system isn't that great but that's why Crutchfield exists. Drop in a good replacement radio and make sure you Amp it with 50W RMS per channel at least.

Maintenance wise, it's reasonable. I found a decent and trustworthy mechanic to do all the dirty work for me. Would I pay $30-40k for it new? Hell no. I'm glad I only paid $6k for mine.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts