Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new Odyssey 3 weeks ago & we wash it once a week. My husband wants to use "Armor All" Protectant on our van. A maintenance guy at the Honda dealer told me to not use that inside the van because it can make the dash or other parts crack after awhile. My man says he wont use it inside the van but wants to use it on exterior parts (plastic & rubber). Can that do any damage after awhile? I would like to have you opinion on the product. If you use it and if you had bad experience with it. Thank you for your advice.

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by OdyAngel:
We got our new Odyssey 3 weeks ago & we wash it once a week. My husband wants to use "Armor All" Protectant on our van. A maintenance guy at the Honda dealer told me to not use that inside the van because it can make the dash or other parts crack after awhile. My man says he wont use it inside the van but wants to use it on exterior parts (plastic & rubber). Can that do any damage after awhile? I would like to have you opinion on the product. If you use it and if you had bad experience with it. Thank you for your advice.</font>
IMHO, I've NEVER had any problems with Armor All on my cars through the past 20 years. I've used it on the interior and exterior. No cracks at all, no problems. And this is after going through 9 vehicles. I'm sure there are others that will disagree with me but to each his own.
I apply it to our Ody on the dash,panels,trim,S2K antenna,etc. except the spoiler.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
564 Posts
Years ago I used Armorall too. Never had any cracking problem, but I also didn't like the slippery, greasy feeling it left, the dust-attracting nuisance, the short time the "protection" lasted, etc.

I now use 303. IMHO it lasts longer, looks better, feels better, protects from UV, is less slippery, makes old ugly vinyls and rubber items look and act almost like new. And nobody tells me it will crack anything
At least give 303 a shot and see if you like it.

Since I had a gallon of Armorall left over from when I used to use it, I still use it to spray into the wheel wells, and under the car when I'm detailing it.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">IMHO, I've NEVER had any problems with Armor All on my cars through the past 20 years. I've used it on the interior and exterior. No cracks at all, no problems. And this is after going through 9 vehicles.</font>
9 cars over 20 years. Even allowing for owning more than one car at a time, that tells me that you don't own cars very long?

What's the long term--10, 15 years--effect of using ArmorAll on a dash, for example? Something that stays with the car?

·
Registered
1,441 Posts
I agree with above comments, that it will get greasy, even sticky over time, and it is almost impossible to remove once applied. Also, the sun will vaporize the stuff off the dash and coat the inside of your windshield and windows with a hard to remove film.

Also, when applied to the tire sidewall (or fenderwell), you run the risk of getting it on the edge of the tread, and this can be dangerous if you have to swerve.

The only time I would use it is when I was getting ready to sell a used car that really needed spiffing up.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Hi, Odyangel. I used to use ArmorAll, too, but for the reasons stated above I gave it up.

There's no use for ArmorAll that isn't far surpassed by some other product, especially 303.

ArmorAll may or may not cause cracks in the vinyl, but used on tires it turns a nasty shade of brown, and it does cause outgassing that films the windows.

Use it on the vinyl in your car, park the car in the sun for an hour and spend the next week trying to get the inside of your windows clean. 303 doesn't do this and doesn't appear or feel greasy, and it lasts much longer.

Try it. You won't use AA again.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you all for your comments. The "303" product sounds good. We will try that instead, if they sale it in Canada.

Louise,
02,GG LX

------------------
02 Ody LX (Fern)
93 Accord LX (Blue)
87 CRX SI (Red)
85 CRX (Red)

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by hachiroku:
Originally posted by adam1991:
9 cars over 20 years. Even allowing for owning more than one car at a time, that tells me that you don't own cars very long?

What's the long term--10, 15 years--effect of using ArmorAll on a dash, for example? Something that stays with the car?
</font>
Well, our ever-so-famous adam, if the punks didn't steal 2 of my prized cars, and if I didn't total one of them, then that "ratio" wouldn't be so high now, would it ?
So dude, you wanna start somethin' with me too ?
It's people like you that keep this board so "colorful".

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with stuff,just S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Chill.

I simply pointed out that you may not have experience with the LONG TERM effects of Armor All, and was asking if anyone did.

Some of us plan to keep our cars for a long time, and would hate to see the dashboard crack.

So my question stands.

·
Registered
192 Posts
OK... I'm staying out of the above "exchange", but have used AA for many years. I used it on two cars (that satisfy the "long term" condition), both in the family and used for ten years each. The AA was used on the dash, interior parts and exterior trims. I truly believe it saved these parts from further damage by the sun and elements. When sold, both vehicles' interiors looked pretty good considering the hard years put through these cars.

Yes, AA is messy stuff and cruds up the windows pretty bad. I don't think you can go wrong using it, but I'm sure there are better products out there.

Where do I get 303? Does it have more of a name or is it just called 303? Who makes it? Can you use it on all surfaces? Do dogs dream in color?

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by cmt4:
OK... I'm staying out of the above "exchange", but have used AA for many years. I used it on two cars (that satisfy the "long term" condition), both in the family and used for ten years each. The AA was used on the dash, interior parts and exterior trims. I truly believe it saved these parts from further damage by the sun and elements. When sold, both vehicles' interiors looked pretty good considering the hard years put through these cars.

Yes, AA is messy stuff and cruds up the windows pretty bad. I don't think you can go wrong using it, but I'm sure there are better products out there.

Where do I get 303? Does it have more of a name or is it just called 303? Who makes it? Can you use it on all surfaces? Do dogs dream in color?
</font>
It's called 303 Aerospace Protectant. This link http://www.303products.com/home.htm will get you to their site and you can look for retailers there.

------------------
Chuck
Click here for Ody pics, mods and fixes on FotoTime.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
I used to use Armor All. Used it on my '86 Accord for 7 years or so. Then stopped using it out of laziness and because I got sick of the outgassing issue. No problems with cracking, etc.. but can't really say it helped or hurt either. I think if you use a sun shade to keep the sun off the dash, and you don't use harsh cleaners on your vinyl that would dry it out, I (IMHO) don't think its an issue. Since I garage my cars now, I don't use anything to protect the dash. I just dust and quick wipe frequently. Thought about using 303, but decided, nah...

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

·
Registered
564 Posts
SJ -

You've GOT to try 303. If they sold it in bigger-than-gallon size, I'd get that. In my auto-detailing kit, this is one of three products I can't do without. I really can't say enough good things about it. I use it on my motorcycling and boating fabrics as well, and it makes a huge fading difference.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2001 Civic EX - currently the BIG car.
1997 EV1 - "This is NOT your father's golf cart"

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hey Sir D,
Does it smell lemony fresh?

Man, I just keep on ridin' that, huh? Just think... it's a case of beer now... import too!

Ok, Ok, back to the topic. I just like that "clean" feel now. Unadulterated vinyl and plastics. I don't like anything on my trim at all these days. If you noticed on my Zaino pics, no tire dressing either. Some people were probably a bit aghast, but that's what I've come to. I'm anal about paint, and I try to vacuum and keep the interior as clean as possible, using dusters, damp MF cloths, and my Bissel "Little Green Machine" for upholstery. I may try 303 at some point, but just haven't seen the need these days. Maybe I'll get my wife to give it to me as a Christmas gift or something.... That would solve the problem of me not wanting to buy it, and her finding me "that perfect gift". Boy, I'm a real romantic, huh? LOL.

-SJ

p.s.- glad you are still contributing!!
Question: Can you fit a couple of sets of golf clubs in the back of that EV1? That'd defintely be a requirement for me before I'd even consider it!!!

------------------
DEP '01 EX no-navi

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 10-29-2001).]

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
For what it's worth, I've been using 303 on tires and external trim for about 4 years now. Good stuff. I get mine from CampingWorld.com. Their prices are good, and they always seem to have coupons for 10% off or $1 shipping. Doesn't hurt that my wife works near one of their locations...

I rarely use anything but warm water on the interior. My windows get dirty enough as it is. Plus, when the dash is shiny, I get more glare.

·
Registered
596 Posts
The real answer to the dashboard glare problem is a nice dark, preferably dull black dashcover. Yeah, yeah, but do you like to see the road ahead. If so, that is the way to go. You might be surprised what you will be able to see and what you might have missed, like the little kid lost in the glare. If you have a handy seamstress around the house (I do) you might just make a pattern and have her stitch one for you. That way, you can choose the best material for the job. Just thinkin'.....

As for tire dressing, 303 is really the thing for those who do not want their tires to appear "dressed". When I get mine coated, I take an absorbent cloth and wipe all the excess off and when completely dry, they just look like new tires.

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
1 - 20 of 24 Posts