Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the sarcasm- I just need to vent. I just finished installing a new audio system in my 2006 Ody and couldn't believe how difficult it is to install new speakers. Rather than simply putting in replacement grills, Honda forces the owner to remove most of the interior trim panels in the vehicle in order to gain access to the speakers.

Most of the trim panels are also very large which makes it more difficult to remove and reinstall as compared to smaller panels.

The center pillar trim pieces need to be removed and that entails replacing the plastic buttons that are part of the airbag system. The seatbelt slider button covers need to be removed and mine stopped working as soon as the cover was taken off. I dropped my Ody off today to get those fixed and to have them replace a couple of fasteners that broke. They wanted $340 for the work! They wanted to charge for 1.5 hrs of labor which was well in excess of the 15 minutes it took me to snap things back in place.

The slider buttons hold onto a metal key piece that pushes in and out. The tech would rather not put the 4 pieces of the button together, so they charge for the entire assembly! We're going on vacation soon and need the vehicle all together properly so I authorized the work after negotiating them down to $180. But all of this work is a result of someone who shouldn't be designing vehicles. How difficult would it have been to make grill covers that snap in and out?

·
Registered
513 Posts
I am confused: On my 2007 I just needed to pop The rear speaker grilles and the front door panels off. No pillar trim or anying else.

Did you do anything other than change the speakers?!?

Nicolas

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I only replaced the speakers. On the 2006, the speaker grills don't come off separately. I have the service manual and it indicates the rather complicated steps to gain access to the speakers. It literally consists of removing the side panels after removing the door sill plates, removing seat belts, removing seat pillar panels, etc.

I confirmed the lousy design with the dealership. Someone must have figured it out by 07.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I only replaced the speakers. On the 2006, the speaker grills don't come off separately. I have the service manual and it indicates the rather complicated steps to gain access to the speakers. It literally consists of removing the side panels after removing the door sill plates, removing seat belts, removing seat pillar panels, etc.

I confirmed the lousy design with the dealership. Someone must have figured it out by 07.
Sorry to come back on this, but the parts shops show the rear side panels for 2006s being the same as 2007s:

Part Detail

Parts 9 and 18, shown in the middle, are the grilles. Yours is different?

Nicolas

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That's interesting. Mine don't come out at all. I confirmed that especially once I had the trim panel removed. The service manual also had the step-by-step procedures to gain access to the speaker.

I looked at the front door panels on that same page and noticed that those are depicted correctly without removable grills.

My Ody is at the dealership right now. I can take some photos when I get it back tomorrow.

·
Registered
513 Posts
So, did you figure it out? Curious to know if the 2006s are different.

Nicolas

1 - 6 of 6 Posts