Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
No, I'm not going to overfill it on purpose. Just wondering if there is any harm if one adds too much.

Motor oil, for example when you overfill it, will boil over and/or foam up. So that's not good.

Will ATF do something similar?

·
Registered
513 Posts
Too much ATF will foam up, so the transmission can slip - this happened to me in a previous car. I think the slipping may not be good for the transmission, as it probably means extra wear on some parts...

Also, it has happened to me in another previous car where the ATF started coming out of a vent on top of the transmission and dripped on the exhaust, creating a lot of smoke.

Nicolas

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
I saw a guy's Ford Explorer do the spilling out the vent deal do to an ATF overfill. It leaked onto the exhaust pipe and ignited :eek:

ATF is supposed to do everything, as in hydraulic torque transmission, operate hydraulic power circuits, perform heat exchange and lubricate bearing surfaces and gear faces. It can only do this if it is in a pure liquid state. Air entrained ATF (foam) does none of these well. One can possibly damage many things in a transmission due to an overfill.

OF

1 - 4 of 4 Posts