Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
can someone tell me whats acoustic glass on the touring models..when you go to the honda website
the ex-l and below dont have acoustic glass...

thanks
Lemon

·
Registered
739 Posts
Its a special sound absorbing laminate. Luxury cars usually have them. I'm sure the Ody only has it on the windshield.

·
Banned
728 Posts
lemonlib said:
so its in the glass???
The windshield is made of 3 laminated layers; glass/composite sheet/glass. This allows Honda to use a thinner (and hence lighter) windshield while still maintaining the same sound deadening qualities.

I've driven both vehicles at highway speeds and didn't notice a difference, although 6spdtl will say his experience is different.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
What's the consensus, does everyone actually think that this works? To me it doesn't seems like it would actually do anything. Maybe just another selling gimmick?

·
Registered
150 Posts
My view is that the cabin is very quiet. Is it solely due to acoustic glass? No. But I believe that acoustic glass is one of the many things Honda has implemented to quiet its cabin on the Touring models.

·
Registered
1,217 Posts
mi_sat said:
My view is that the cabin is very quiet. Is it solely due to acoustic glass? No. But I believe that acoustic glass is one of the many things Honda has implemented to quiet its cabin on the Touring models.
But, my question still is, would such a thin layer between the glass laminate actually do anything. To me it wouldn't but I'm no glass expert. We have a '06 EXL-RES, how much quieter is the 2011 compared to mine?

·
Registered
316 Posts
Originally posted by jackrabbit000 We have a '06 EXL-RES, how much quieter is the 2011 compared to mine?
Can't speak of the acoustic glass windshield in the touring model, however, the 2011 EX-L is already much quieter than my 2005 EX.

·
Banned
728 Posts
bar10dah said:
Can't speak of the acoustic glass windshield in the touring model, however, the 2011 EX-L is already much quieter than my 2005 EX.
I guess "quiet" is a relative term. I've been trying to decide between an Odyssey and a Sienna (both 2011's).

For me the Odyssey is a 9.5 /10, but I'm sadly disappointed by the interior noise, in particular, road noise.

I did another road test today. First I drove 1/2 hour in a 2011 Sienna LE V6 AWD and then a 2011 Odyssey Touring.

In town, there was a 2 to 3 db difference in interior noise between the two (Sienna was quieter). On the highway at 70 mp/h, there was a difference of 5 db (again the Sienna was quieter).

I'm really bummed about the interior noise in the new Odyssey. I have no doubt it is better than the old one, but it falls short of the Sienna.

For those who don't think 5 db is much to talk about, consider that 10db is effectively a doubling of the noise level. So, the Odyssey is about 50% noisier on the highway than the Sienna I drove. In addition, it is about 30% noisier than the Sienna in the city.

I currently drive a 2008 Sienna and the Honda is no quieter than that model.

I really love the Odyssey but fir me, it would need to be quieter before I would but one. I'm not sure if I will pick a Sienna, but if I buy a mini van, I doubt at this point it will be the Honda.

As to the acoustic glass, maybe it helps some, but it doesn't drop the interior sound level appreciably over the EX-L. They both tested the same on the same roads (EX-L/Touring). :(

·
Registered
7 Posts
oh boy, cant wait until the windshield has enough chips to impair vision when there are oncoming headlights and it's time to get the insurance company to replace the windshield.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Shazzam said:
***snip***As to the acoustic glass, maybe it helps some, but it doesn't drop the interior sound level appreciably over the EX-L. They both tested the same on the same roads (EX-L/Touring). :(
If acoustic glass works, it would stop the intrusion of noise radiating from surrounding traffic, not from the road surface. A better test would be to find a parking lot next to a freeway and measure the noise level in the cabin of an EX/L and a Touring.

·
Registered
157 Posts
On a side note, does anyone have an idea of what the acoustic glass would cost to repair?

I assume it's more than the average windshield, but I'm curious by how much.

·
Banned
728 Posts
davedrivesody said:
If acoustic glass works, it would stop the intrusion of noise radiating from surrounding traffic, not from the road surface. A better test would be to find a parking lot next to a freeway and measure the noise level in the cabin of an EX/L and a Touring.
That would be kind of tough to measure don't you think? Sound doesn't just travel into the cabin through the front glass. It comes inn through the sides and the rear as well.

From my test driving down the road, there was no difference in the interior noise between the two trim levels. Road noise, wind noise or whatever, they both had the same interior noise (measured) and subjective. Maybe the acoustic glass is saving weight, but it isn't doing much else with respect to sound.

·
Registered
9,235 Posts
Shazzam said:
That would be kind of tough to measure don't you think? Sound doesn't just travel into the cabin through the front glass. It comes inn through the sides and the rear as well.

From my test driving down the road, there was no difference in the interior noise between the two trim levels. Road noise, wind noise or whatever, they both had the same interior noise (measured) and subjective. Maybe the acoustic glass is saving weight, but it isn't doing much else with respect to sound.
Yes, sound does come from all around, not just the windshield. I assume Honda made only the windshield from acoustic glass because that's the largest single glass area in the van.

So, I refine my suggested test to park facing a busy freeway and then measure the interior noise. Traffic noise can easily be over 100db, so effective noise reduction should be noticeable. If it isn't, then acoustic glass really is another gimmick as mentioned above. But we can't discredit it without testing it first.

This site claims that it is quieter.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts