Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We just got our 02 Ody last week. Soon we will have our winter and here in Canada it can get very cold and we usually get lots of snow ... Since the tires are new, do you think they will be fine for the winter or do you suggest to get winter tires anyways and please mention what kind are best in your opinion. I saw in a different post someone using "Michelin Artic Alpins". What do you think ? Thanks ! Merci !

Louise
02 GG Odyssey LX

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Artic Alpines are a great winter tire and tend to wear longer than the Bridgestone Blizzaks.
I personally am going to leave the Michelin symmetrys on this winter as they have a fairly good snow rating and excellent tread pattern. I normally just drive in the city with occasional trips out to Banff and Jasper in the winter and have never needed anything more than a good all-season tire.

If you are in a rural area or mountainous area of Quebec then a snow tire may be necessary.
Can't wait to try out the traction control as this is my first vehicle to have it.

·
Premium Member
1,211 Posts
Take a look at Tire Rack. They have a few articles to read about winter tires.

They sell the 215/65QR16 Blizzak WS-50 for $85. Steel wheels for $42.

Blizzak WS-50:

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX w/stuff
'93 Nissan Sentra SE-R with more stuff

·
Registered
114 Posts
The OEM Michelins do quite well in the snow - with or without TCS. But irrespective of tire, be careful with that 4400 lbs that you are trying to change direction or slow down...

·
Registered
483 Posts
I am very pleased with the Hakkapellita 1. These are the tires I use for the Ody & Civic. It can be studded too if it's not illegal in Quebec. I got it for Cdn$159.00 each (excluding taxes) installed 225/60/16. I believe these tires are made in Finland.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i use michelin artic alpins and am very please with the performance. we drive from vancouver to kamloops every other month and they work great on the coqihalla highway

------------------
2000 lx,fern grey,remote starter, single disc cd player,roof rack with cross rails, bra, hidden hitch,csa 5 spoke alloy wheels,15% film over oem privacy glass and artic alpine tires on the oem steel wheels.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I just installed a set of Artic Alipins mounted on steel wheels from TireRack, they were the best price for a delivered set. I did not go with their covers, instead ordered a set of LX covers to give it a better look. So far a very quiet tire (of course no snow yet).

·
Registered
185 Posts
I had assumed I was going w/the Arctic Alpins but the guy at TireRack said everyone there bought the Blizzaks and they could get anything they wanted. Of course he probably gets commission...

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by chan_man:
I just installed a set of Artic Alipins mounted on steel wheels from TireRack, they were the best price for a delivered set. I did not go with their covers, instead ordered a set of LX covers to give it a better look. So far a very quiet tire (of course no snow yet). </font>
I got those last year. I was amazed at how quiet they were and they handled very well on dry roads.

I went with tirerack's wheel covers - they were not that attractive IMHO. I'm looking to get some LX covers myself.

[This message has been edited by robr2 (edited 11-06-2001).]

·
Registered
37 Posts
We have made 4 winter trips from Ontario to the Pacific Northwest and BC on Blizzaks.

Weather conditions have ranged from the length of Wyoming on glare ice in 80 MPH winds to 8 inches (20 cms) of snow in northern Idaho.

They go through anything.

The treadwear on the second set was much better than the first. There are now 4 models for specific driving needs.

Warning: Do not overinflate.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you all for your replies. We were hesitating between Bridgestone Blizzaks & Good Year Ultra Grip Ice. The Toyo G-02 were also in our top 3 choices but since we don't do that much driving in the winter we decided on the Good Year Ultra Grip Ice. They are suppose to be excellent in snow & on ice. I read good revews on them and were recommended by a lot of garages. They were also less expensive. So far, I like them: excellent tread pattern, pretty quiet, ... I will soon find out how they do in the snow & on ice.

Louise,
02, Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone tried the Michelin's 4x4 Alpine?

I can't find any review on that?

In addition, do you think its a problem if I use 215/70R16?

Thanks,
Dao

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hockey Pucks!!!!!!!!!! (Hakkapellita)
Blizzaks "multi cell compound" is only in the first 45% of the rubber, ie: when the tire is half wore out, it's just another tire!! Although....they hold the road like glue for the first couple years!! Michelin alpins are just as good as the Blizzak, but they wear terribly! Hockey Pucks are fairly cheap, wear great, and go through ANYTHING!!
FWIW
John

[This message has been edited by 2002EXL (edited 12-08-2001).]

·
Registered
108 Posts
Got Hakkapelleta Q on the '01 Odyssey and Hakkapeliita NRW on our Audi A4. We always try to use Hakkapeliita on our cars for winter tires. The Q cost about $120 per tire from Steelcase Tires in Markham (excluding taxes, last year).

·
Registered
629 Posts
Blizzak vs Blizzak

Any tried the Blizzak DM-Z3 (winter dueler)? Its their
light truck snow tire. I can get these in a 205/70R16
which is only 3% larger in diameter. Its either that
or the WS-50 Blizzak in 215/65R16.

I like the DM-Z3 since it look to have a more aggressive
tread pattern than the WS-50.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I ran Blizzak Winter Duelers on a minivan and they're superior to the Blizzak WS-50's, but I put WS-50's on the Ody due to avaiable sizes. I run Goodyear Ultra Grip Ice on a small car, good handling on snow & ice and a quiet ride, better wear than Blizzak's. The artic alpins have a very closed tread pattern and Michelin claims they're really designed as an ice tire instead of a snow tire. Good for city driving where roads get cleared quickly. More than 3-4" of snow and no great. The tread has lots of small edges for biting ice, but no block pattern for deep snow. The lugs don't clean well in deep snow. I ran aplins for years, they wore well for a snow tire, but were loud and sang with a bit of water on the road.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Hi Dao, 215/70R-16 is not the correct size -- a little too big -- but I think it will work. The speedometer will be a little off, too.

215/65R-16 or 225/60R-16 would be the ideal size.

I think the 4x4 Alpin is marketed more for trucks (SUV, pickup, etc.)

ddao said:
Anyone tried the Michelin's 4x4 Alpine?
I can't find any review on that?
In addition, do you think its a problem if I use 215/70R16?
Thanks,
Dao

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not much of a difference either way

The original size 225/60R16 is 26.7" diameter and 783 RPM

A 215/65R16 is 25.9 and 803
215/70R16 is 27.9 and 746

So the 215/70R16 is 4.4% larger
and the 215/65R16 is 3% smaller

Not much of a difference either way...