Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,

I posted yesterday on my 2003 which had died on the Ohio Turnpike.

We have made it home to NJ, and the van is at a shop in OH awaiting full diagnosis. In the interim I have located another well recommended shop to do the transmission replacement.

First, I wanted to explore the remote possibility that Honda of America would extend any goodwill towards this repair. Given that the van would need to be towed to a Honda dealer there and that I would incur this additional cost (remotely), I wanted to inquire if anyone has an opinion of the actual probability that they would help cover this repair. If the chance is (as I expect) low, I will stay with the recommended mechanic I have found, but if there is a reasonable probability Honda would assist I would have the van towed to a dealer.

Does anyone have an opinion on this?

The van is a 2003 EX we have had since new. It has 82000 miles, and received scheduled maintenance (although not at dealers).

Thanks in advance,

Jon

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Goodwills are now getting sparse. Honda will NOT even talk to you unless the van has been looked at by a Honda Dealer.

Also, even if you do get the tranny replaced, it is going to die so if I were you, I wouldn't even bother as your out of pocket costs will be very close to the private garage charges as I doubt honda is going to pick up 100% of the tab.

So, the only decision you need to make is whether you want to spend the money to get it fixed or not and once you feel you need to get it fixed, go for a gator or the other highly recommended cheaper alternative.

·
Registered
2011 Odyssey LX, 120k miles
1,919 Posts
My 3rd dealer-replaced AT was done in March 2010 at 179k miles. Owned since new.

I was able to get a break from Honda before actually taking it in. Other than warranty work by the dealer I had done everything myself (but saved receipts from cases of Z-1 ATF I bought from the dealer) on this car. I got a weird story from Honda regarding "retail" vs. "warranty" parts, so I've just included my notes from back then below.

Talked to Sergio Suarez at Honda Cust Svc - 800-999-1009 x117760 on 2/26/10 - no goodwill due to high mileage, but said that no parts are currently available as "retail". Only available as "warranty" http://www.odyclub.com/forums/images/smilies/confused.gif- in that case, the total cost would be ~$3200 rather than the $3820 I was quoted ($2700 part + $1120 labor). Confirmed 3 year/36k warranty.

Dealer called - cost will be $3250.94 including part, labor, fluid, tax for the A/T replacement. Said that Sergio was paying for the fluid, which meant I'd get the 3 year/36 month warranty (???). Everything is brand new other than the A/T case (solenoids, all internals, etc.). I explained the retail-vs-warranty story from Sergio, but he was un-phased. The part is not available. They will check every week to see if one is available. Whenever one comes available, I'll get it at this price.

2 weeks later, Sergio Suarez called to see if my A/T had failed/stranded me. Seems he was trying to prioritize the few parts he had available. Mentioned that if we needed a rental for a few days he could cover that. Discussed pricing a little more … the price is set now, and won't change. The warranty vs. retail part thing is maybe not accurate - basically any time Honda is involved, I get the warranty price. Also, he confirmed that he was paying for the ATF, which meant I'd get the 3/36 warranty. Pricing was something like 8 hours * $130/hr + $2015 for the part (would be $2100 including $85 ATF, but Honda's paying for that). So $1040 labor + $2015 part + $186 tax at 9.25% on $2015 = $3,241. Close enough to the $3250.94 actual cost that I think it's right.

*** So all of the above was done before anyone other than me saw the car, and without me actually going in anywhere. I never even had any CEL or codes to report. All was based on torque converter whine and occasional 1-2 flare symptoms that I reported over the phone. Also, the whole process took a few weeks, waiting for call-backs, etc. after the initial person who took the call basically denied any assistance. So in a short-fuse situation like you've got, patience may not be an option.

2 weeks later the AT was replaced at the dealer. I paid the $3106 bill (~$150 less than it was supposed to be, and it included replacement of the rear main seal, which I also requested). But before I left, almost as an afterthought, I figured I'd pop the hood for a quick lookover, using the flashlight I brought with me. I had trouble shooted the thing myself, so was well aware of where everything should be. I noticed that the solenoids were clearly not new (had some dirt on them). I asked the service guy who called over the tech to confirm, then called over the service manager, discussed that I had been promised new solenoids (was promised everything new except the case). I ended up getting the full $3106 refunded on my credit card. Didn't even charge me for the rear main seal. Then they steam cleaned the engine compartment because I had pointed out where ATF must have sprayed out during the installation. Pretty much made my day.
http://www.odyclub.com/forums/images/smilies/biggrin.gif

So I've been lucky enough to have 3 $0 cost dealer AT replacements now.

I would guess that the best you may be able to hope for from Honda is some marginal assistance like free ATF so the warranty is 3/36, or maybe a 20% discount. But it IS worth giving them a phone call.

Regarding Honda vs. other rebuild, I don't really have any experience with Gator, etc. My 3rd Honda AT lasted almost 90k miles with obsessive maintenance. When my next one comes due, I'll take a close look at the alternatives again - just like I did this last time, when I ended up going with the Honda-assisted dealer deal.

Good luck.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks so much both for the detailed replies.

I have asked that the van be towed to another shop given that the mechanic at the one it had been towed to from the turnpike had only worked on one other Honda and did not seem to have very much knowledge of the issue. Given what I have seen here and elsewhere I believe the decision will be either repair or replace the van, depending upon the cost estimate from this new mechanic. Found him through the CarTalk recommend a mechanic pages and after speaking to them it was clear they had done many Odyssey trannies. I am interested in the Gator option, but don't know about the shipping, etc..

JB

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Not sure about Gator and shipping but Jasper the more expensive one has authorized shops all over the coutry. When my Accord's tranny had bit the dust, I had actually called Jasper and spoken to them. They will recommend a shop anywhere in the country.

My BIL in FL chose to go the Jasper route for his 2001 Oddy as his indy immediately asked him if he was open to getting a Jasper. I told him go for it. Gator is cheaper and does get rave reviews here too. I recommend you call both Jasper and Gator and ask them the exact price shipped to the shop where your Oddy is gonna be.

Also, call Honda and speak to 'em. The worst that can happen is they say take it to the stealer or downright No goodwill. I'd still call 'em but almost all posts on here (except oldskewel here) have reported that the car be taken to a dealership before they'd even consider goodwill.

In my prior post, I was trying to convey that if you pay for the Honda one, its still gonna die so go for Gator or Jasper who do modify the tranny internals to stand up better to heat. Honda just slaps on the bad design tranny and charges you an arm and a leg in doing so.

·
Registered
178 Posts
we took our '03 with 79k miles to the dealer after it threw a P0730 code. The dealer recommended a new transmission (as did another independent shop). Dealer quote was $5,400 with a new engine computer, and a lifetime warranty. They contacted Honda who agreed to chip in $1k - reducing our cost to $4,400.

We called two other shops and got quotes of $4,400 and $4,700.

Given it also needed a couple of grand worth of other repairs and was due for a timing belt, we bought a new one.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I just went trough this with my '03 Acura TL with 102K when the tranny went out. Same tranny as the 01-04 vans. They quoted me $5300 for the whole job but the service manager immediately told me that he would see what Honda could do. He came back 5 days later and told me that Honda offered to do a 50/50 as good will. So the new price would be around $2200 including ECU and 3/36 warranty.

pat

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would call AHM, our tranny blew 2 years ago on Friday before the 4th of july at 95k mi and I drove it to an amco shop ( an all together painful experience ), had the tranny replaced with their rebuilt one and started a case with AHM. We bought it certified and the dealer had done the service before purchasing it . Most service has been done at a local acura dealer because of location . AHM sympathized with me after pleading my case and eventually we came to an agreement of 45% reimbursement . I would have rather had honda do the whole job because i think they would have been more apt to take more of the burden, and i wouldnt have had to go back to amco 2 times to get it correct and not throwing any codes .

1 - 8 of 8 Posts