Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the genuine Honda Brake pad set in front of me. Between the Odyssey service manual the parts from the set, I see where everything goes. BUT there is this small squeeze bag of compand included in the brake set.

What is this compound? My first guess was it is anti-squeal compound that goes between the pads and disks, because that compound was included with the brake pads that I used on our honda civic. But now I see that 'Molykote M77' or 'Daikalub 528D' grease is required between the pads backs and slims, so the compound maybe this grease.

Thanks for the help,
BrianB

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Yep,
The stuff you speak of is the Molykote M77 (should be dark gray/black, gritty, and greasy). Comes with each set of pads. Can't buy this stuff separately.... Make sure it goes on all surfaces of shims and back side of pads.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

[This message has been edited by shinjohn (edited 01-18-2002).]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Best not put it between the pads and the disks. You'll have a heckuva hard time stopping.

If you misplace it, you can purchase a similar product at almost any autoparts supply. DUTCH

·
Registered
596 Posts
But, Dutch, think of how long those greased pads would wear, Hee! Hee!

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">
Best not put it between the pads and the disks.</font>
But I bet the grease on that spot will keep the brakes from squealing. Is stopping really that important? : - )

BrianB

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by DUTCH:

If you misplace it, you can purchase a similar product at almost any autoparts supply. DUTCH
</font>
True, but I hear the "equivalent" stuff is not as good at preventing squeals. Just what I've been told.....

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
58 Posts
I don't have the tube in front of me, but the one I purchased at NAPA has worked A-OK through two front brake pad replacements at 60k on each set. No squeals, no groans and no clunks. DUTCH

1 - 7 of 7 Posts