Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is going on back there?If i sit in the 3rd row and have to raise that thing it would hit the roof? What was wrong with standard headrests?

·
Registered
513 Posts
If you mean that they don't stick out above the seat back, that is so you can stow the seat without having to remove them. I think the 1st gen had it so you needed to take them off.

Much prefer it this way, as I rarely sit back there... :)

Nicolas

·
Registered
346 Posts
And they retract downward when unoccupied so you can see out the rear without headrests in the way when no one is in the rear. I guess you've never had a European car with retracting rear headrests that when unused intrude into the seat area to prevent a human sitting there without raising them for protection, yet permitting a better view out when not used.

·
Registered
513 Posts
homer's van said:
And they retract downward when unoccupied so you can see out the rear without headrests in the way when no one is in the rear. I guess you've never had a European car with retracting rear headrests that when unused intrude into the seat area to prevent a human sitting there without raising them for protection, yet permitting a better view out when not used.
That is such a smart feature! I remember seeing a Mercedes with that (I think) and being blown away at how well thought out it was...

I think they mostly do "fall back in the rear tray" headrests nowadays...

Nicolas

·
Registered
32 Posts
Those are so much fun when the retraction is controlled by a button near the driver. Unending entertainment on long trips.

Rich

homer's van said:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you raise the headrest for an adult it must go so high up to not hit you in the back. It seems to be to much. There is no auto feature from the front seat so if the 3rd row passinger does not drop the rest it is totaly blocking the rear view for no reason. My 02 with the headrests dont block a thing.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Sounds like you need a different vehicle; this level of dissatisfaction seems disproportionate to the safety functions and style compromises (window size, view) represented by the subject matter of your post and it makes me suspect that you are not happy with the van if spending this much concern on an issue that rarely arises among this group of vocal owners who raise every nit.

Disclaimer: I have no idea what type of headrests the '02 (or '11, for that matter) have in comparison for effectiveness and function.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
richlishtrey said:
Those are so much fun when the retraction is controlled by a button near the driver. Unending entertainment on long trips.
That would be great to have in th Odyssey! I would use that "feature" when my in-laws were riding in the back. :stupid:

Right now when they're visiting and ride in the 3rd row I call my MIL's cell phone and watch her scramble to find the phone. I hang up right when she finds it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
richlishtrey said:

Rich
haha on our e320 it's controlled by a button, hit the button and you hear the "thunk" of the head rest falling back...

i recall the s-class mercedes would automatically come up when you put your seat belt on...not sure tho.

·
Registered
32 Posts
It was a rental Volvo with headrests that fell FORWARD! The thunk was on the rear seat occupants' heads.

Good times.

Rich

eneka1 said:
haha on our e320 it's controlled by a button, hit the button and you hear the "thunk" of the head rest falling back...

i recall the s-class mercedes would automatically come up when you put your seat belt on...not sure tho.

·
Registered
650 Posts
windycityody said:
What is going on back there?If i sit in the 3rd row and have to raise that thing it would hit the roof? What was wrong with standard headrests?
I said the same thing I think many commenting dont know what your talking about but I do. The 3rd gen I really like you can raise them but dont have to raise them to sit back there in comfort. But on the new one with the headrest in the lowest position you have to raise them because they will be in your back if you dont. The middle seat rear headrest is fine its the 2 outer ones that I dont like. Very weird looking design.

·
Registered
513 Posts
I thought we were talking about 3rd generation Odysseys, not the new ones...

Nicolas

1 - 13 of 13 Posts