Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i rebuilt my trans and want to also do the 3x drain and fill. how many miles (or how long) do you have to drive between each drain and fill? highway or local roads? is this this correct? fill, drive, drain and fill, drive, drain and fill, drive, drain and final fill? any input is appreciated. thanks.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I did that exact drain and refill procedure today. Drove it a 4 miles each time thru all gears and reverse. I found plenty of small metalic fuzz on the drain plug and my tranny was rebuilt 37,000 miles ago third one . Installed new crush washer. I'll cross my fingers! 3 qts each time

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
Correct. Like all the other treads say, get it to run through ALL of the gears and get to freeway cruise speed to engage the torque converter. This has all been covered before.

If you 2000 running again?

OF

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
finished putting the van back together. and started the 2000 ody today. noticed a ticking noise that increases with rpm. don't remember if it was there before. haven't driven the thing in like a year. oh well i hope its ok. this is the last chance, if this thing isn't ok. i'm selling it.

·
Registered
253 Posts
My ATF is at the low mark on the dipstick. Does anyone know how much to add to get it back up to just under the upper mark? Otherwise, I figure I will have to clamp on my fill hose/funnel to the dipstick tube, add half a quart, disconnect the fill hose, drive it some, measure new level and repeat.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Correct. Like all the other treads say, get it to run through ALL of the gears and get to freeway cruise speed to engage the torque converter. This has all been covered before.

If you 2000 running again?

OF
What if you can’t get the car over 50 mph? Will that speed engage the torque converter?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I changed drained and filled once so far. It shifts better but still when it gets warm has trouble shifting. I will drain 2x more and see if it changes. Am I wasting my time?

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
I changed drained and filled once so far. It shifts better but still when it gets warm has trouble shifting. I will drain 2x more and see if it changes. Am I wasting my time?
By all means finish the two remaining drain-and-fills. It's an easy and inexpensive first-level strategy toward restoring transmission performance.

(Second-level strategy is testing switches and solenoids. Third and last is rebuild.)

Dave

·
Registered
992 Posts
By all means finish the two remaining drain-and-fills. It's an easy and inexpensive first-level strategy toward restoring transmission performance.

(Second-level strategy is testing switches and solenoids. Third and last is rebuild.)

Dave
Even if the solenoids are functioning properly others have reported restored performance after cleaning the solenoid screens.

·
Registered
2,891 Posts
Actually a 'flush' in an 03 Ody is 4 drain and fills. It's in the owner's manual, page 308.
"Do this three times. Then drain and refill the transmission a final time." 3 + 1 = 4 :D

If you have it done at a Dealer, I believe they do it all while its on the lift and just go through all the gears and TC lockup while it's up there. Quicker, but not really better. Time is money!!

If your fluid was pretty dirty, do the 2nd one shortly after the 1st and around 10 miles or so, being sure to go into TC lockup and all gears including Reverse.

If it now looks pretty clean, do the next two in about 100 mile increments to allow the new additives in the atf to 'slowly' dissolve the varnish type buildup in the tranny. At least that is what a lot of people in here suggested. Makes sense to me.
I believe the amt of fluid it takes to go from the low mark to the full mark is 8 oz. A slight (1/8-1/4") overfill is not going to hurt anything.
BTW, many on here recommend doing a single drain and fill every 30k or so AFTER you get the fluid looking good.
Buffalo4
PS: Number of drain and fills and % of new fluid: 3 1/2qt/drain and fill: 42,66,81,89 ----14 qts total.
PPS: BTW, I just use the Valvoline MaxLife Dex/Merc atf and think it does great!

·
Registered
7,323 Posts
What if you can’t get the car over 50 mph? Will that speed engage the torque converter?
Our 2002 and 2003 EX Odys will engage 5th gear at just over 45 mph, probably close to 47 mph as indicated by the GPS, with TC lockup.

OF

·
Registered
9 Posts
Any time you're driving the torque converter is engaged.

In a car with a manual transmissions, the engine is connected to a transmission with a clutch, which is engaged all the time you're driving. A torque converter on an automatic essentially takes the place of the clutch on a manual vehicle. A torque converter uses fluid to transmit power to the transmission, keeping the engine from stalling and allowing it to change gears on its own. Do a search for torque converter and you'll get dozens of articles explaining what they are and how they work.

The basic reason why you have to do a drain & refill several times is because the transmission / torque converter holds several (8-12?) quarts of fluid, but you cannot drain all of it out. A torque converter is toroidal, or donut shaped, kinda like a tire. If you've ever tried to remove water from an old tire you'll know it's very frustrating. No matter how you turn and position it, there's always some water left in it. When you do this Drain & Refill, you're diluting the fluid several times so that after 3 D&Rs, you have mostly good fluid.

Also, you do not have to make a point of driving any specific distance or making sure you go through all the gears. Driving just a around the block will circulate and completely mix in the new fluid with the old in just a few minutes of driving.

·
Registered
8,304 Posts
Any time you're driving the torque converter is engaged.
Yes, quite right.

However, the point here is that the torque converter lockup clutch should be engaged between ATF drain-and-fill cycles. This ensures thorough mixing of new and old fluids.

TC lockup may occur in 3rd or 4th with the 4-speed, 3rd, 4th, or 5th with the 5-speed. Driving at freeway speed is the easiest way to ensure that TC lockup clutch has engaged, as well as all the gear clutches.

Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts