Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a used 2000 Ody LX w/ 105k miles. Just noticed that when driving over uneven (not-smooth) pavement, there is a rumbling noise from the front of the car. The sound is not a rattle but a medium-pitch rumble -- as if someone is holding large sheet of metal and is shaking it. I'm having a mechanic check it out Tuesday but am feeling anxious. Any guesses?

Thanks.

·
Registered
97 Posts
oc92037 said:
Just got a used 2000 Ody LX w/ 105k miles. Just noticed that when driving over uneven (not-smooth) pavement, there is a rumbling noise from the front of the car. The sound is not a rattle but a medium-pitch rumble -- as if someone is holding large sheet of metal and is shaking it. I'm having a mechanic check it out Tuesday but am feeling anxious. Any guesses?

Thanks.
After reading your most recent posts, it seems like you are always anxious when it comes to the Odyssey.

Please calm down...we wouldn't want more OdyClub members panicking, it might be contagious. :stupid:

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Re: What is the Rumbling Noise from the front?

theodydude said:
After reading your most recent posts, it seems like you are always anxious when it comes to the Odyssey.
Yer right... working on chillin out...

·
Registered
97 Posts
What's the mileage on your Odyssey?

The Odyssey is a BEAUTIFUL van. Take care of it and it will pamper you.

The transmission goes out eventually but once you have it repaired you can have atleast 3-5 years peace of mind if you have it replaced at Gator or better yet Jasper.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
theodydude said:
What's the mileage on your Odyssey?
105k.

The transmission goes out eventually but once you have it repaired you can have atleast 3-5 years peace of mind if you have it replaced at Gator or better yet Jasper.
What are "Gator" and "Jasper"?

The dealer replaced the transmission at 90k miles.

·
Registered
3,430 Posts
The thing that seems to add rumble is tires. My van was quiet until I had new tires installed, the next set will be Michelins. The van seems to be very particular with it's footwear :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I finally had a chance to take it to another independent mechanic and they test drove it and inspected it up on lifters and said the problem is that the brake calipers are a bit loose, that it's nothing to worry about. It didn't occur to me to ask further about how loose calipers are actually OK but ... I drove away feeling OK about their explanation. They also said the front struts are somewhat worn, so that makes the front shake a bit more than normal, but also said it's not quite necessary to replace the struts yet.

Just in case anyone cares to opine on this....

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
I finally had a chance to take it to another independent mechanic and they test drove it and inspected it up on lifters and said the problem is that the brake calipers are a bit loose, that it's nothing to worry about. It didn't occur to me to ask further about how loose calipers are actually OK but ... I drove away feeling OK about their explanation. They also said the front struts are somewhat worn, so that makes the front shake a bit more than normal, but also said it's not quite necessary to replace the struts yet.

Just in case anyone cares to opine on this....
The mechanic is right that loose calipers are not a problem, but they can be fixed fairly easily. Either replace the sliding pins or wrap them in brass stock. You don't have to live with the rattling noise.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, sounds like an honest mechanic.
Yes, I was impressed by this. And no charge for the diagnosis, either.

The mechanic is right that loose calipers are not a problem, but they can be fixed fairly easily. Either replace the sliding pins or wrap them in brass stock. You don't have to live with the rattling noise.
Good advice! Would you care to estimate how much labor is needed for this?

And I don't know what "wrapping in brass stock" means but I would guess that replacing the pins is the more permanent solution?

The aforementioned mechanic said I should replace the calipers and that they are about ... I forget ... something like $150 each? (He said this while standing under the car, and did not look it up on a computer, so it's approximate).

I'm wondering which I should do -- replace the pins or replace the calipers.

Thanks.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
You're right, replacing the pins is the more permanent solution.

If the holes in the calipers are worn, the calipers would have to be replaced too.

But I would start with just the pins. They cost around $11 each IIRC and labour should be maybe 15 minutes per side. If you DIY, it involves removing the wheel, removing the old pin and installing the new.

BTW, the cause of the pins wearing is lack of lube maintenance. So make sure the new pins are lubed during installation.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
But I would start with just the pins. They cost around $11 each IIRC and labour should be maybe 15 minutes per side. If you DIY, it involves removing the wheel, removing the old pin and installing the new.

BTW, the cause of the pins wearing is lack of lube maintenance. So make sure the new pins are lubed during installation.
Sorry for being ig'nant but ... do the pins just screw in/out w/ common tools?

And what type of lubricant do I use? Do I just slather it on? What holds the lube in?

I'm not a total newbie -- years ago when I was a starving grad student I changed brake pads on my car... and lived to tell about it!

·
Registered
6,077 Posts
I've had this problem too and solved it by replacing the 2 caliper bolts. The parts # were 45235-S0X-013 and 45262-S0X-003 and they only totalled $7.42 USD plus tax. I bought from YourHondaParts.com.

·
Registered
10,112 Posts
Sorry for being ig'nant but ... do the pins just screw in/out w/ common tools?

And what type of lubricant do I use? Do I just slather it on? What holds the lube in?

I'm not a total newbie -- years ago when I was a starving grad student I changed brake pads on my car... and lived to tell about it!
OC, asking a question is not being ignorant - it's being interested. :)

The pins are held by 8mm bolts. You will also need an open-end wrench to hold the pin as the bolt screws into it. No special tools required.

Lube the pins with silicone grease.

Torque the bolts to 27 foot-pounds.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts