Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to adjust the black plastic triangle part that is just ahead of each side mirror. It seems to sit too deeply so I think it is causing noise...

So, what is it, and how do I take it off?

Nicolas

Attachments

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Are you talking about the wind whistling that some experience above 40 mph?
Yes and no: There is a lot of noise at speed, so I am looking at the cowl, the side moldings, and now this part.

And the way it is now the front is pushed. Can't have that... ;-)

Nicolas

·
Registered
613 Posts
Try washing the car with either the van running or hooked to a charger and the HVAC system on full fan outside air, if you see bubbles you have an air leak. You can look at the service manual for how to remove but those sorts of things are normally not adjustable, although perhaps you could use some washers or something, also I doubt that's the source of noise.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You can look at the service manual for how to remove but those sorts of things are normally not adjustable, although perhaps you could use some washers or something, also I doubt that's the source of noise.
So what's it's name? :) I have tried finding it in online parts places, no luck, and I don't have the bit of the manual that covers "it", whatever "it" is called...

Nicolas

·
Registered
174 Posts
If that piece was part of the door, like it is on most cars (where the side view mirror mounts) it's called a sail panel, like on a sail boat.

You can try to gain access to the back of it by removing the interior A-Pillar trim (the uprights from the dash to the headliner) & see if there's any exposed nuts.

I have to agree with DD, if it stuck *out* from the A-pillar, I could see it making noise, being recessed, I doubt it.

Edit: The rear most pillar or panel behind the rear doors that attach the rear 1/4 panel to the roof is also known as a sail panel, but is usually referred to as the canopy sail panel.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If that piece was part of the door, like it is on most cars (where the side view mirror mounts) it's called a sail panel, like on a sail boat.

You can try to gain access to the back of it by removing the interior A-Pillar trim (the uprights from the dash to the headliner) & see if there's any exposed nuts.

I have to agree with DD, if it stuck *out* from the A-pillar, I could see it making noise, being recessed, I doubt it.

Edit: The rear most pillar or panel behind the rear doors that attach the rear 1/4 panel to the roof is also known as a sail panel, but is usually referred to as the canopy sail panel.
Thank you, I'll have a look around to see if ail panel rings a bell... EDIT: A quick look only returns information on the triangle plastic part that is IN the car, on the inside of the side mirror, not the part that is forward of the mirror on the OUTSIDE. Did you mean the outside part? I did... :)

My concern with it is that since it is recessed the rubber weatherstrip at the front of it is pulled in so does not make contact as it should at the front. I figure if I can bring it out a bit I could resolve that.

I'll try and get a pic...

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I had a deeper look at this still unnamed part and it looks like it is bolted to the fender... I don't think I'll be taking that apart, so there. :-/

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Found it! they are called... garnish assemblies, front pillar corner!

Part numbers, if anyone is interested:

75490-SHJ-A01 GARNISH ASSY., R. FR. PILLAR CORNER
75495-SHJ-A01 GARNISH ASSY., L. FR. PILLAR CORNER

Nicolas

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you still think you're getting noise from there?
Honestly, I don't know. What I do know is that on our previous car, a 2000 Subaru Legacy, a similar part could cause a lot of noise if it was off by a couple of millimeters. (see here for details... What Is That Wind Noise In My Subaru? - Seattle Subaru Repair )

So while I am not crossing it off my list of to-dos*, I just don't feel like taking the fender off...

Nicolas

* Front cowl cover (probably will silicone it), windshield side trims (silicone), loose roof gutter (replacing clip, may glue it somehow), body panel vibrations (will use sound dampening tiles)...

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, but I saw it a while back but 07s have that part glued on, not snapped on. So nothing to do there...

As a note, one thing that was on my to-do list was lubing the weatherstrip around the doors, and that REALLY helps. I bought a tube of Shin-Etsu Grease last year and it is great for lubing all the rubber, it really prevents squeeking.

Another thing I forgot is adjusting the doors: The back of the front doors on our van stick out and the weatherstrip there is not pushed against the body much.

Nicolas

·
Registered
174 Posts
Another thing I forgot is adjusting the doors: The back of the front doors on our van stick out and the weatherstrip there is not pushed against the body much.

Nicolas
You will probably discover the doors are in alignment with a little of the trailing edge sticking out. If it's causing this much aggravation, how about a body shop?

There's also those Leak Doctor guys I see around here & there. Check with any local car dealer, these guys are mobile.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
You will probably discover the doors are in alignment with a little of the trailing edge sticking out. If it's causing this much aggravation, how about a body shop?

There's also those Leak Doctor guys I see around here & there. Check with any local car dealer, these guys are mobile.
We have a misunderstanding: I like to fiddle. :) Giving someone else money to fiddle does not give me as much pleasure as fiddling myself.

Nicolas

1 - 16 of 16 Posts