Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have a 2005 but always curious about other people's car seat configuration :) We have a 3 yr old, 2yr old and 1yr old. We used to have 2 Graco Comfortsports in the 3rd row with a Graco snugride infant car seat in the 2nd row passenger seat. This config allows the wife to sit in the 2nd row drivers side while I chauffeur. We are expecting our 4th in Aug and were planning to put the new baby in the 2nd row drivers side but worried about how the wife would tend to the kids from the front passenger. We could use the plus 1 seat but even tho my wife is tiny, it would be uncomfortable. We ended up replacing the 2 gracos in the 3rd row with 3 Diono Radians. Tight fit but all are snug and secure. This allows us to keep the 2nd row drivers side open for the wife.

·
Registered
12 Posts
We have a 2004 EX-L and put our two daughters (ages 2 and 7) in the second row captains seats. the bench in back is rarely used, but we leave it up to keep the rear well open for groceries. if we ever take the dog on a long trip with us, I'll have to see if the captains chairs can go to the back row and leave the middle open for the dog crate.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Van Trim: EX-L
Kids: 2 (3.5 year old and 17 month old) plus a bun in the oven
Car seats: 2 (Britax Roundabout and Roundabout 55)
Infant seats: 1 (Graco Snugride - not currently installed)

We have both convertible seats in the second row. The 3.5 year old is forward facing on the driver side and the 17 month old is rear facing on the passenger side. Baby #3 is due this summer. We plan to put the infant seat base in the second row in wide mode. It'll either go in the middle or we will move one of the convertible seats to the middle and have the infant seat on the outside. We currently keep the third row upright so we can use the well space for shopping trips.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Tony, congrats on the one on the way! Keep in mind that with the infant car seat in the middle seat, you (and your wife) will have to lift the infant carseat over a convertible seat and stretch to place the infant car seat in the base. Depending on your arm reach and strength, it could get tough and down right difficult especially as your infant gets older/heavier. When we had 3 in the back of our SUV, we had the infant car seat behind the driverside, forward facing for our oldest in the middle and rear facing convertible on the passenger side. The typical routine was open the drivers side door to let in the oldest who would walk to the middle seat and pull herself up to be seated. Then we would put the infant carseat in the base, then close the drivers door and walk around to passenger side with middle child and place in rear facing convertible. As the oldest got older, she was able to pull herself up and buckle her straps so it was only the infant and middle child that needed assistance.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Those with more than one kid, what arrangement do you use?
Since there are 6 sets of latches, there are many possible configurations so you may want to tell us your concerns so we can be more specific. We have two kids, 3.5 and 1.5. They are in the captain seats, despite the fact that the middle seat is the safest seat in the car, b/c it is easier to strap them in by both parents at the same time in this arrangement. On road trips, we may do something different depending on whether we need to carry additional passengers and have easy "access" to the kids by one of the parents. Some car seats are bigger than others in a way that does not necessary increase safety and comfort but these large car seats will make it difficult to put three in a row. There are videos on line that detail this for Odyssey so do a search.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Tony, congrats on the one on the way! Keep in mind that with the infant car seat in the middle seat, you (and your wife) will have to lift the infant carseat over a convertible seat and stretch to place the infant car seat in the base. Depending on your arm reach and strength, it could get tough and down right difficult especially as your infant gets older/heavier. When we had 3 in the back of our SUV, we had the infant car seat behind the driverside, forward facing for our oldest in the middle and rear facing convertible on the passenger side. The typical routine was open the drivers side door to let in the oldest who would walk to the middle seat and pull herself up to be seated. Then we would put the infant carseat in the base, then close the drivers door and walk around to passenger side with middle child and place in rear facing convertible. As the oldest got older, she was able to pull herself up and buckle her straps so it was only the infant and middle child that needed assistance.
Thanks! And thanks for the recommendation. We will probably end up putting the infant seat on the driver side of the middle row and move the front facing convertible to the middle.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Our 4 month old is rear facing in the middle of the second row. Our nearly 3 year old is on the passenger side facing forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
2012 with 3 kids

We just purchased our first minivan ever becaus of the 3 kid kanundrum.

2012 Odyssey EX-L
3 kids: 4, 15mos and 1 due in April

This is how we will place them:

4yo in the rear middle - he can buckle and unbuckle himself; this should be the 2nd safest place (next to the 2nd row middle but we've removed that seat).
15mo in the 2nd row pax side - he will be attending a school with curbside drop off starting this summer and they want them on that side
newborn will be 2nd row drivers side for easy access

Both 2nd row kids will be in Narrow Mode for increased safety. It's only an extra inch, but in a side impact that might make a difference as the airbags deploy. This still gives ample room for the 4yo to traverse the center isle.

I can imaging a time when we may go 3 across in the 2nd row for long road trips if we need the extra cargo area. But itll only be a temporary thing.

·
Registered
19 Posts
3.5 year old in forward facing Britax Frontier behind the driver's seat
18 month old rear facing in the center of the second row in Britax Blvd

We like to leave a captain's seat open in the second row for easy access to the third row when needed and so that my mother-in-law has a comfy, easily accessible seat.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have a 2005 EX-L, I have the plus-one installed, I have our 9-month old behind the driver in a rear-facing seat that latches in to a removable base (the brand and name escapes me ATM) and our 23-month old in a FF Eddie Bauer toddler seat behind the passenger, both using the tethers to secure the seats. The third row is not normally in use, but whenever the niece and nephew (age six and four respectively) ride with us, they both go in the back in their boosters. Not a very exotic setup, but it works. Either of us can fit in the plus-one seat if need be to sit back there, and the niece and nephew can squeeze behind the passenger seat when we slide it forward to get in the third row even though with the car seat in it the back doesn't flip forward much. Hope this helps and good luck!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts