Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello guys, in my 03 EX-L I get 21-23 mpg with 70/30 highway/city driving, I do drive like grandpa most of then time and not go over 2-2500rpm off the lights and cruise at 70-75 on the highway, is low 20s good for this van? I personally think it is pretty good as I currently have and had in the past mid range/luxury sedans with V6 and V8 that get similar mpg, also this van takes 87 vs others requiring at least 89 or 91. I think the Ody is daily driver friendly, what do you guys say? What is your MPG like in different situations?

·
Registered
1,015 Posts
I get about what you get with 70/30 mixed driving and around 17 in town. The best I have gotten over the last 71,451 miles that I have data for is 25 mpg, the worst was 13.65mpg and the average is 18.73 mpg. The 13.65mpg was while towing on a trip to Yellowstone with 5 people in the car, and a roof top carrier.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I've been getting 13-17 mpg lately on the '04, consisting of mostly campus/city driving. When I go to/from school for the holidays (~200 miles, probably 95% highway) I get close to 20. I know my hood pins (since the latch broke) and ham antennas on roof aren't doing any favors for aerodynamics, and some of my driving habits certainly aren't helping either. In total I've got about maybe 150 extra pounds with me at all times in the form of tools, coms equipment, and electronics.

I'm currently at 133k, and it's got me wondering what might be causing the lower mileage. Could it be the slightly overdue valve adjustment? Alignment I've been meaning to get? Time to put some seafoam through the engine and try and clean up some gradual buildup? Overall the engine seems like it's running like it should, no noticeable lack of power or anything abnormal, and no big extra power draw (other than my sub, but that's almost always set pretty low). Maybe elevation has a part in it? It's roughly 2000 feet over sea level here at school, and 1k to 500 back at home.

This has me thinking.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've been getting 13-17 mpg lately on the '04, consisting of mostly campus/city driving. When I go to/from school for the holidays (~200 miles, probably 95% highway) I get close to 20. I know my hood pins (since the latch broke) and ham antennas on roof aren't doing any favors for aerodynamics, and some of my driving habits certainly aren't helping either. In total I've got about maybe 150 extra pounds with me at all times in the form of tools, coms equipment, and electronics.

I'm currently at 133k, and it's got me wondering what might be causing the lower mileage. Could it be the slightly overdue valve adjustment? Alignment I've been meaning to get? Time to put some seafoam through the engine and try and clean up some gradual buildup? Overall the engine seems like it's running like it should, no noticeable lack of power or anything abnormal, and no big extra power draw (other than my sub, but that's almost always set pretty low). Maybe elevation has a part in it? It's roughly 2000 feet over sea level here at school, and 1k to 500 back at home.

This has me thinking.
Ouch, those are quite low numbers, with pure highway driving, these vans get like mid 20s maybe even 26-27. The tires need to be at 40 psi, a tune up can help too. Even I am planning on doing some seafoam treatment to get some gunk out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The wife drives like a Rally Racer pretty often, and gets around 20-21, this is city/stoplight driving combined with high speed (70-80mph highway driving) in my area.

She loves the v6, had a 1st gen ody for 10 years before getting this 2003 one in 2019.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The wife drives like a Rally Racer pretty often, and gets around 20-21, this is city/stoplight driving combined with high speed (70-80mph highway driving) in my area.

She loves the v6, had a 1st gen ody for 10 years before getting this 2003 one in 2019.
The V6 is the reason I drive mine, I am the youngest one in my family driving a minivan, I just love the power, handling, and overall its very easy to drive along with not being terrible on gas.

·
Registered
59 Posts
On a road trip, started on a full tank dropped about 1000' to sea level, warm to hot day and a small breeze at my back.
Van has about 177,000 miles, I got 793 km (492 miles) to the tank. My Canadian math with our gallons gave me 32mpg.
I was impressed, had 5 liters left (just over a big gallon). I am heavy and have a ski coffin on the roof (full).

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have been monitoring mine for the last 4 mo now. Averaging 23-25 mpg with 80/20 hwy/city driving. Dipped some since getting cold with winter last month. Generally 65-70 mph on cruise in hwy, mostly in D3 on short city roads if speeds are well below 35 mph (every morning I have a 3/4 mile busy city road from the subdivision till the freeway ramp) with frequent stop and go traffic.
Valve adjustment/spark plugs changed 30 k miles ago, new Michelin tires 6k miles ago, keep it 36 psi. Need to do wheel alignment soon.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts