Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
okay, I can tell you'll what not to do.

Do not buy MA audio LCD monitor, poooorrrr quality stuff.

Do not buy from auctions: after spending $600.00 got a defective product and no where to return.

better get a factory installed dvd.

·
Premium Member
2,140 Posts
Hi Shareef,
Sorry to hear about your woes.
Would you mind sharing a little more of your experience so others can avoid the particular screen and vendor (ebay or other auction seller) you have experience with?
Hope you can get your stuff resolved.
Good Luck.

------------------
-Shin John
'01 DEP EX, and I'm workin' on it! (slowly)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
hi Shinjohn:

first I went against your advise and ordered from ubid.com the 8inch MA audio flip down screen. First the flip down latch was not working as it would not hold the screen. Tried everything, the dome lights were not working. The picture quality was ok. Overall a bad product. paid $350.00 plus $300 for installation. Had to unistall it and will try to call the manufacture or deal with ubid
I will go with Icon stuff, the one that DAL has recommended.
My advise get factory DVD, no hassle or grief.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I would agree with shareef - for the technically challenged (like me) I would (a) go for the factory DVD first, and if not, (b) go to a reputable installer/dealer, vs. trying to order from the web.

(a) wasn't an option for me, because I couldn't get an ELX-RES without an inordinate wait (when I bought the van in late Dec)...opted for an ELX instead at which overall was a good buying experience, for a vehicle discounted only 600 below sticker. (Dealer even loaned me a new accord v6 for two weeks while I waited...but that's another thread).

(b) was the proven path, listed in another discussion forum, and I got the Panasonic 6.8" display unit with the in dash Pana 700 DVD player. All in all, wound up paying 1350 when said and done with tax *, which was about 200 bucks more than I anticipated, and nearly the same as getting the RES in the first place! (1500 option). The good thing was I was able to get the unit installed at a reputable (but pricey) car stereo dealer, to avoid the hassle of defective equipment, etc.

Pana units are being discontinued, but from a price/performance perspective much better than the Audiovox equivanent -which would cost over 1400 at Circuit City/Best Buy.

Pros of this option:
- Install is very clean, DVD fits right in the dash under the Honda head unit.
- Picture quality excellent.
- Any problems, bring them back to the stereo shop.

Cons:
- Display unit clearance - blocks 1/2 of the rear view mirror when in the down position. Removing the center headrest from the rear seat helps a bit.
- Pana DVD unit does NOT play DVD-Rom or CD Rom media.
- Display unit is 4:3 ratio.
- Remote from the DVD cannot turn the display unit on/off or adjust the volume.

Overall, I'm reasonably satisfied, but if I had to do this again I would have gone with the factory RES.

I plan to upgrade the speakers later, but I think that may be a bit easier.

* Dealer didn't break out material and labor, so I paid tax on the whole thing. (including tax on the installation labor!) Was surprised bout this, so I inquired and found this is standard practice in ohio (unless you buy from a chain store like circuit city)

[This message has been edited by Minivandad (edited 02-24-2002).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Sorry to hear the MA Audio didn't work out.

I just bought a 5.6" Cyclone (Legacy) LCD monitor off EBay from Tundra Electronics. I have mixed emotions about the buy.

Tundra was great to deal with, but I would advise if anyone is interested, check ALL their auction prices. They sell lots of monitors so anyone who bids gets one (dutch auction). I got my 5.6 for $98.50 after shipping. I could have bought from Tundra it just before or after for $115. They often sell the same thing with varying starting bids, so shop around.

Quality-- it's so so. I would NOT recommend this monitor to anyone that wants dynamic colors from wide angles. I bought mine for the 2 yr old to watch Bob the Builder on road trips. We use a VCR from the house and it works fine. The colors are washed out a little, but for $100, I'm satisfied.

The monitor came with the cables needed to plug it all in and small built-in speakers.

Just wanted to post my thoughts on the "poor man's IVES" in case anyone was interested.

------------------
Dave
Future 04 EX-L Owner
99 Ford Explorer XLT Sport
89 Mustang GT Conv

·
Registered
910 Posts
I bought my Jensen flip down screen on ubid for $54 + shipping. Overall I am satisifed with it but of course there is no comparision with my Pioneer screen. But for $54 it's worth a try.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts