Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone!

I am happy that I found a forum dedicated to Ody. Hope you can help me decide which trim should I get based on your experience.

I am looking to purchase 2012 Ody EX or EX-L, so far I am leaning towards the EX-L. While talking to the Dealer, they said they can offer the 2011 Ody Touring with a price tag of the 2012 EX-L (good deal?). The only thing that I don't think I need are the Navi (I have a portable one, plus having a build-in Navi may add to maint. cost) and the 15GB HD (don't think I still store a lot music). I also heard there's a Transmission problem on the 2011 Ody (not sure if it's fixed in 2012).

Any suggestions on which trim I should get? 2012 EX, 2012 EX-L, or 2011 Touring?

Thanks!

·
Registered
96 Posts
I am in Canada as well and I purchased a 2011 EX-RES. I intentionally stayed away from the 6-spd tranny and it does look like there might be some operating issues. Not so sure it is mechanical like the previous Odyssey's exhibited (Bearings and clutch packs) but still it does worry me a bit to put immediate confidence in a brand new transmission design. I would say the price match between the 2011 touring and the 2012 EX-L is a good deal but you said you don't need Navi.....I would probably just take the EX (no leather though) but with the RES especially if you have kids. Also if you like XM radio the EX-RES trim does NOT come with it. I installed an aftermarket XM radio afterwards and it took me about an hour. The radio was $19.

Watchman

·
Registered
235 Posts
get EX_L w/o Navi and Res..EX to me is plain but if you don't need leather/tailgate/sunroof then go with EX.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Owner of a 2011 Canadian Touring for 14 months. Not a single problem with the transmission. Only problem so far was a dead battery (which the dealer replaced) and a recall by Honda to replace faulty wiper blades. I don't think there are widespread transmission problems with the 2011s.

If you want all the technology and bells and whistles...blind spot warning, auto headlights, RES, NAV, sound system with more speakers and watts, larger tires and rims, etc..go with the 2011 Touring. Otherwise strick with the 2012 EX-L.

What are your color choices anyway?

:huh:

·
Registered
884 Posts
I purchased a 2011 EXL RES just as the 2012s were arriving. If someone had offered me the deal you describe I wouldn't have been able to resist.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I got an EX-L. The only thing it has that I do not like is the leather interior. We prefer the cloth, but we wanted the back up camera, the sunroof, the power tailgate and the cool box. I guess the leather is good for clean up with kids, but we generally do not eat/drink in the car besides maybe water, so that was not too much of a worry. We did not want navigation or the RES (have nav on the phone and handheld units). Plus kids need to suffer a little bit on a longer trip, growing up with 5 kids in my family, we had black vinyl seats and no a/c in the AMC Matador, so they have no idea how nice they have it!

·
Registered
395 Posts
While talking to the Dealer, they said they can offer the 2011 Ody Touring with a price tag of the 2012 EX-L (good deal?).

Thanks!
Yeah but you could always bargain to get an EX-L for the price of EX, an EX for the price of LX, etc. It all depends what features are really important to you. The only thing that I would like to have on the Touring is the Blind spot warning system, which is a safety feature. I have a portable GPS and know that most Garmin GPSs work much better than Honda's. I have iPad and iPod on which to show movies, play games, and read books, so a RES is not essential. I am under the impression that most car manufacturers do not know how to handle electronics, and electronics are thus usually the first one to cause problems. I thus try to stay away from cars loaded with electronics. (Electronics is the one major trouble spot on 2011 Odyssey, as reported by Consumer Reports) For all these reasons, we ended up getting an EX-L. I do find the leather seats important for kids because they are easier to clean. They also do not get stained as easily as cloth.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Personally we always do the EX because we prefer cloth. The only thing that was wearing out on our 05 EXL was the leather on the driver's seat. Every other vehicle we have had with cloth still looks like new for many years.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought the 2012 EX-L w/RES, and am very happy with it. Had we had the extra money, the Touring would have been in play. If you, like me, hold on to your vehicle for numerous years, jump on the '11 Touring. The added goodies are worth it! As to the transmission issues mentioned, purchase the Hondacare warranty and you are good to go for up to 8 years.

·
Registered
176 Posts
I happened to buy used and after researching and talking to people the only one I wanted was the Touring. The NAVI is a little dissapionting? maybe but the Back up Camera is one of the best. Only the Nissan has a better unit. The object warning system is something we really appreciate to have. Homelink is a huge plus along with hands free for phone and all controlls.

Leather is a lot of extra work, heated seats are a huge plus and I've found using meguires wipes weekly really keeps the seats clean and soft

Go for the best You'll never regret it.

·
Registered
687 Posts
Another thing to consider. The 6 speed transmission on the Canadian Touring (US Touring Elite) is slightly more fuel efficient than the 5 speed found on the EX-L.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts