Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
570 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is 22mm popular? Before I invest in two (longer) sockets (1/2 and 3/8) for my bar and torque wrench, can someone tell me if size 22mm is sort of a common size?

On other Honda cars that run on 19mm. I have yet to encounter a car that does not use it. Ford, Chevrolet, Nissan, Toyota, etc. So 19MM was a good investment for me.

Just don't know if 22mm is more Ody specific.

Can you give some examples of cars that you know that uses 22mm?

·
Registered
7,507 Posts
Drew, 19mm = 0.748", which essentially is a 3/4" socket. I've used 3/4" SAE sockets on 19mm lug nuts with no rounding or fitting issues. Yes, it's a popular size on all sorts of vehicles.

22mm = 0.866", which essentialy is a 7/8" socket. A 7/8" socket will work on a 22mm lug nut, but it can feel a little loose. The other way around, a 22mm can work on a 7/8" lug nut, but it can be really snug, which is not bad.

On that note, I think trucks (as in 3/4-ton pickups) use 7/8" lugs.

There is an "in-between" to this, namely the 13/16" lugs that you may see on things like boat trailers (mine uses that size), and maybe 1/2-ton trucks (I think my old Dodge used that size, but I cannot recall...not that I care...that truck was a P.O.S.).

Generally, when I have the need for a particular socket for a lug nut, I just get an appropriately sized deep-well impact socket (very, very sturdy) in 1/2" drive to fit my breaker bars, torque wrenches, and impact driver. Even though you don't use it much, you'll be glad you have it when you need it.

OF

1 - 2 of 2 Posts