Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All the selection charts for the oil filter for my 2003 EX call for a PH7317 series filter, but the actual filter on the engine is about half that size. I can only see a T4612 number on the filter, which doesn't show on any charts. Any ideas?

·
Registered
308 Posts
Looks like you're comparing different brands of filters. The PH7317 is a Fram filter and the T4612 appears to be a TecSELECT made by Purolator based on a quick web search. Not sure on the smaller size, but a lot of times the aftermarket specs the same filter for many cars so they use the smallest one so it will cover more types of cars/engines.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Interestingly enough, I was buying oil filters this weekend. The honda part number for my 02 Accord and 04 Ody are the same. At Wally World the Fram Filter has two different numbers but they were out of the one for the Ody. Well the Purolator filter specified the same one for the Accord and Ody, which is consistent with the Honda numbers. Having used the Fram filters before they are different in size but have the same fitting.

There are several threads on filters you can search to see which brands people prefer. I think someone even cut apart a bunch of them.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Length doesn't matter. Threads and radial distance to the filter seal do matter. Fram is crap as I understand it and as I've experienced it. Might as well spin a mason jar onto it if you use Fram. Take a look at
...... I like the looks of Bosch and Wix.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Agree that: "Friends don't let friends use Fram."

Wix is my favorite for all my cars, including the race car.

Length doesn't matter. Threads and radial distance to the filter seal do matter. Fram is crap as I understand it and as I've experienced it. Might as well spin a mason jar onto it if you use Fram. Take a look at
...... I like the looks of Bosch and Wix.

·
Registered
7,516 Posts
Granted, a mason jar would not filter any better. Since the plastic bypass valve on the Fram spec'd for our Odys has a casting seam on its sealing surface, it bypasses continuously. That means the mason wouldn't filter any worse, either. So, in terms of filtration, it's a draw beween the mason jar and Fram.

There is one area where a mason jar would be better than a generic Fram orange filter. Consider the mason jar has no media or cardboard to disintegrate and hurt the motor; santoli3 has a good writeup about a Fram disinitegration regarding his Audi Coupe (i.e., Fram cheapness is documented by one of our own).

So, in my best tongue-in-cheek fashion, I say to you SFR-DSR-44, you've made us mason jar users feel bad by grouping our choice of filter with the dubious Fram, when it's obvious that mason jars are superior when you consider all qualities of a filter. ;)

OF

·
Registered
159 Posts
So, in my best tongue-in-cheek fashion, I say to you SFR-DSR-44, you've made us mason jar users feel bad by grouping our choice of filter with the dubious Fram, when it's obvious that mason jars are superior when you consider all qualities of a filter. ;)
OF
I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't consider such high quality, lower cost alternatives. :tongue:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts