Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm noticing more oil seepage when I change the oil. I have new valve cover gaskets to put on this summer but I'd like to replace as many other seals as possible. What other seals should I be looking into that aren't too difficult to change?

·
Registered
1,404 Posts
I would only replace what's leaking. Inevitably, with an older vehicle plastic parts break, etc. and "just replacing a seal" can become a real mess, so I generally go with the if it's not leaking, leave it be approach (with the exception of things like axle seals and stuff like that - if I pull the axle out, a new seal is going in when I put it back together)

·
Registered
239 Posts
I just did this on my 05 EX-L, and every seal on top was leaking or seeping, so I changed the list below, and it is now dry:

1) VC gaskets
2) Both camshaft thrust plate o-rings (on tranny side of engine)
3) EGR valve gasket (have to remove it to change o-ring on camshaft)
4) Spool valve on firewall side gaskets, inner and head one (while this is off, easy to change camshaft o-ring), also helps with VC gasket if you have VCM engine.
5) Other spool valve gasket, may be part of your oil filter housing, or separate, on engine front (right side of car).
6) The VC bolt grommets, they were leaking too
7) The PCV valve and o-rings whle you have the VC off.

·
Registered
5,821 Posts
Hopefully your replaceable rubber seals just need replacing, if your rear main seal or oil pan is leak, that's not fun.

valve cover seals
on your motor on the rear head, vtec gaskets
oil filter housing seal
camshaft seals
(all videos on my channel)

timing belt seals generally do not leak unless if the oil wasn't changed on time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts