Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone,

I put a $1000 deposit on 2002 Odyssey LX in early Sept. But after Sept. 11, I was not so sure if we should go ahead and make the purchase, but the dealer refuse to refund our deposit (it was nowhere written down), so we were forced to take the van at $25000 + $440 delivery fee with a 6-cd cnanger and 2 year free oil change. Then I wrote their GM a letter complaining about the process, now he said to make me feel better, he can offer me a free 7500 mile service or a free paint protection. Which one do you think I should take? Is 7500 mile service necessary? or does anyone has any experience with a paint protection? Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
The dealer really isn't offerring much.

Some people believe that the "paint protection" package is a worthless, highly profitable, over-priced gimmick.

The 7,500 mile service is what, an oil change and:

Check Coolant Condition & Top Off Fluids
Inspect & Adjust All Drive Belts and Hoses
Inspect Emission Control System
Inspect Engine Air Filter
Inspect Wiper Arms and Blades for Operation
Inspect Drive Train for any Fluid Leaks
Clean and Tighten Battery Terminals & Check Electrolyte Level
Lubricate Parking Brake Cables and Linkage
Rotate Tires
Inspect Exhaust and Heat Shields
Check All External Lamps for Proper Operation
Inspect Lap/Shoulder Belts for Proper Operation
Clean and Adjust Rear Brakes
Inspect Tie Rod Ends, Steering Gear Box & Driveshaft Boots

(mostly inspections) which sells for less than $100.

I'd be fairly unhappy about the refusal to refund the 1,000 deposit if it weren't spelled out in the beginning that it was nonrefundable. It's not like they wouldn't have been able to sell the van within a day or two - Odys are jumping off the lots around here, no dealer has been able to keep any in stock.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ '01 White Laces

·
Registered
86 Posts
I agree with Maugham, paint protection is worse than worthless and 7500 mile service in a nothing as far as service. Some "paint protection" is actually harmful to the paint. Good wax is a much better option.

I would suggest you ask for something YOU want that would make you more satisfied. If the dealer will not meet your request, take it up with the zone manager (or whatever Honda calls the person who oversees the dealers).

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for all your reply. Where can I find the zone manager? Would it be on Honda's website? Do you think it is worthwhile to take the issue to the consumer protection association so that the dealer can't do the same to other people.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by honda02:
Thanks for all your reply. Where can I find the zone manager? Would it be on Honda's website? Do you think it is worthwhile to take the issue to the consumer protection association so that the dealer can't do the same to other people.
</font>
Admittedly, from a customer service standpoint the dealer should have given your deposit back. But as far as taking the issue to a consumer protection association, if refundability wasn't mentioned in the original agreement they haven't done anything illegal. I can't see on what grounds a complaint would be filed. A deposit could be considered an agreement to purchase in the future.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Steve Pert:
Admittedly, from a customer service standpoint the dealer should have given your deposit back. But as far as taking the issue to a consumer protection association, if refundability wasn't mentioned in the original agreement they haven't done anything illegal. I can't see on what grounds a complaint would be filed. A deposit could be considered an agreement to purchase in the future. </font>
Refundability was never explicitly stated.

The contract would be unenforceable due to vagueness. All dealers with whom I've had contact are very clear about whether or not the deposit is refundable.

True, the buyer should have checked on the status of the refund, but one would expect a "professional" car dealer to cover the key issues.

Most home purchase agreements are written with a clause about finding acceptable financing. Since some cars cost as much as some homes, shouldn't that be a consideration, too; what if the buyer can't find financing?

The contract was more than $500, and hence should have been in writing. Apparently, it was not written.

Contracts should be fair; the dealer loses very little if someone doesn't take the car, because most likeley the car would be sold immediately. That sale might actually be at a higher price (!!!) because the dealer has the car in stock.

IANAL, just a buyer who has been stung by dealers.

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ '01 White Laces

·
Registered
10 Posts
Ok, I'll bite. What is paint protection and why might it be bad??

------------------
_ _ ___________ _ _
Brandon
  • '88 BMW M3
  • '93 Jeep Grand Cherokee

·
Registered
596 Posts
Paint protection is evidently just a glorified wax job. It seems to be similar to the ScotchGard job I bought on a new chair one time. I thought ScotchGard would be a good thing to have on my new chair, in case I spilled my dinner or ?. I paid for it and when I went around to pick up the chair, here was some guy spraying a couple of cans of the stuff onto my chair. Duh, I felt like a fool, but, we live and learn. The paint protection stuff is a really high profit, "feel good" item which lots of dealers sell. It is one of those items we feel are going to protect us from problems in life (ala long-term warranties on everything), which often leave us disappointed in the end. You can protect that paint yourself with any number of good products now on the market.

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

1 - 8 of 8 Posts