Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A colleague just shared his experience losing his brakes going 80 mph (I must have mis-heard him and he was going the speed limit). He pulled up his hand brake, lightly and alternated from application of light braking and release of braking. He says pulling hard on the brake, he would have lost control. Our parking brake is electronic. What would we do? Can we rapidly push the button on and off? But, that's full-on and full-off, with no "light" braking.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Ours is a PARKING brake, not an emergency brake. I would NOT suggest turning it on while at any speed at all.
If your brakes are out, use your engine to slow you down. There are those pedal shifters behind your steering wheel that everyone always complains about. Use them to slow down your vehicle by gradually downshifting by pulling the left one with minus symbol, after removing your foot off the accelerator pedal. Your engine will rev high each time, but it will gradually slow it down.
If you don't have time to slow down gradually and you're in a van full of people and HAVE to crash it to stop - look for full on frontal collision rather than partial overlap. Way less chances of killing yourself or flipping your van.
That said, hopefully you'll NEVER have to do any of that.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't have time to slow down gradually and you're in a van full of people and HAVE to crash it to stop - look for full on frontal collision rather than partial overlap.
Thanks. I have bad images of that. One night, traveling on an interstate, I passed one such collision that happened on the opposite side. A car hit the rear of a truck full frontal. The car was in flames and the top was sheared off. Not survivable. The impact was on the shoulder. It was on a stretch where trucks, despite not being allowed by law, park as if it were a rest stop Many truckers don’t bother leaving tail lights on, much less turn on their hazard lights. My assumption has always been that the driver was racing someone, or passing on the shoulder. But, what if the driver lost the brakes and pulled over as part of the emergency response. Tragic either way.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Thanks. I have bad images of that. One night, traveling on an interstate, I passed one such collision that happened on the opposite side. A car hit the rear of a truck full frontal. The car was in flames and the top was sheared off. Not survivable. The impact was on the shoulder. It was on a stretch where trucks, despite not being allowed by law, park as if it were a rest stop Many truckers don’t bother leaving tail lights on, much less turn on their hazard lights. My assumption has always been that the driver was racing someone, or passing on the shoulder. But, what if the driver lost the brakes and pulled over as part of the emergency response. Tragic either way.
I'm not sure if you're saying that head on is worse than minor overlap collision or not. But many vehicles that get great ratings on head on collision rate very poorly with overlap collision tests.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Great point. I thought cars had to also have a separate braking system besides the hydraulic one.

Guess not.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not sure if you're saying that head on is worse than minor overlap collision or not. But many vehicles that get great ratings on head on collision rate very poorly with overlap collision tests.
I’m saying that the idea of a frontal collision brings up a bad memory. I’m not saying that it isn’t the best thing to do

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,393 Posts
Ours is a PARKING brake, not an emergency brake. I would NOT suggest turning it on while at any speed at all.
If your brakes are out, use your engine to slow you down. There are those pedal shifters behind your steering wheel that everyone always complains about. Use them to slow down your vehicle by gradually downshifting by pulling the left one with minus symbol, after removing your foot off the accelerator pedal. Your engine will rev high each time, but it will gradually slow it down.
If you don't have time to slow down gradually and you're in a van full of people and HAVE to crash it to stop - look for full-on frontal collision rather than partial overlap. Way less chances of killing yourself or flipping your van.
That said, hopefully, you'll NEVER have to do any of that.
I agree with using the paddle shifters. It's the same thing as gearing down in a manual transmission. The one good thing Honda has is the engine's ability to tolerate high RPMs. Besides, even if you cook the engine, you walk away in one piece. You may still need to bump into something to come to a full stop but the lower the speed the better.
Years ago, we had a situation in our area where a young male driver was speeding on a highway. His girlfriend got scared and pulled up on the parking brake between the two seats. Through lack of use, the braking was more effective on one of the rear wheels than the other. They were both killed.

·
Registered
8,659 Posts
If you don't have time to slow down gradually and you're in a van full of people and HAVE to crash it to stop - look for full on frontal collision rather than partial overlap.
If I was about to crash due to brake failure, I would damn the torpedoes and activate the parking brake.

Any forward energy they would disperse would reduce the severity of the crash, or hopefully avoid it completely.

Truckers will pull the trailer air valve in an emergency for the same reason. It's not intended to be an emergency brake due to the controlled chaos that results, but it does the job when a crash is imminent.

Reactions: karlo

·
Registered
2018 EX
1,393 Posts
Yep, that will work too Dave :).

Does the electric brake on the rear of the Ody lock up both sides or just one? If it's both, your method should work as long as you concentrate on steering. God forbid you need to do that in one of our Canadian winters "eh?". I would imagine if both wheels have the brake applied, it should be pretty accurate because of the electric motors versus one slightly slack brake cable on an older car.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Which is why, proper maintenance of the brake system is crucial. Actually common sense. Any "change in braking",
leaks on driveway, noise when breaking, have your mechanic check it out. Don't wait ! IMHO.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Hit my parking brake at about 40 MPH and while I got a horrible noise and vibration neither rear locked up. It didn't seem like a lot of braking force either, it did slow the car but nothing like a mechanical brake.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don’t see how the van can lose its brakes.

Even if you lose hydraulic assistance, standing on the brakes with both feet should work.

It is not like you track the van and boil the brake fluid.

If you lose all brake fluid from a leak, that will be pretty unusual.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts