Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am on my 5th gen Ody with no issues. Recently my friend convinced me to take on his 2gen as it has been parked for over 4 yrs. Since I have owned every generation, I thought I would give it a go.

I started asking what I thought we basic questions after I pulled rhe carfax. 300k miles! I Asked about timing belt replacement - blank stare. Tranny change - another blank stare. He basically drove it until it stopped, fortunately in his garage.

In my 02, I had 3 trannies by 150k. My questions for the group is, is it worth tinkering with? Tranny is slipping, body is solid exl. I know I would have to drain all the fluids and replace hoses, but what should my expectations be?

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Damn, dropped my crystal ball and it cracked. Sorry!

• Haha
Reactions: byrd

·
Registered
2,777 Posts
fluid changes are easy, stick some maxlife in there and dump in some lubeguard red, see if it helps.

The filter is probably original on the return line, so its going to cost you 100 bux and some time, to rule out the AT isnt complete trash.

derby car or a fixer upper for someone with time but little money.

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
2,748 Posts
If it's a later model 04, it has the revised transmission in it that should be pretty solid. Change the fluid and see how it is. I'm not going to tell you which fluid to use since that's a hot debate I'd rather not get into.

Reactions: Geardo and Navy Vet

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Much appreciated

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
fluid changes are easy, stick some maxlife in there and dump in some lubeguard red, see if it helps.

The filter is probably original on the return line, so its going to cost you 100 bux and some time, to rule out the AT isnt complete trash.

derby car or a fixer upper for someone with time but little money.
Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
So I am on my 5th gen Ody with no issues. Recently my friend convinced me to take on his 2gen as it has been parked for over 4 yrs. Since I have owned every generation, I thought I would give it a go.

I started asking what I thought we basic questions after I pulled rhe carfax. 300k miles! I Asked about timing belt replacement - blank stare. Tranny change - another blank stare. He basically drove it until it stopped, fortunately in his garage.

In my 02, I had 3 trannies by 150k. My questions for the group is, is it worth tinkering with? Tranny is slipping, body is solid exl. I know I would have to drain all the fluids and replace hoses, but what should my expectations be?
I'm new to my 2004 Ody with 285000 miles on it but I got it from a 1Owner and always serviced by his dealer. I don't know if I would buy it with it sitting for 4 yrs, no idea what has or hasn't been done to it. When I think of all the rubber that would need to be replaced, possible break work, fuel pump injectors and if it sat in one place for long rodents that chew on electrical.
I'm not trying to talk you out of it if you want a challenge because that's what it may be.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
So update: Car is running after flushing al fluids and doing all belts including timing on Friday. Changed transmission filter before one of the drain fills. Surpringly, no hesitancy on the transmission. Took valve cover off and cleaned all that. Passed Virginia emission and state inspection too.

·
Registered
3,326 Posts
So update: Car is running after flushing al fluids and doing all belts including timing on Friday. Changed transmission filter before one of the drain fills. Surpringly, no hesitancy on the transmission. Took valve cover off and cleaned all that. Passed Virginia emission and state inspection too.
Sounds great. Don't forget to do more than one drain and fill of the tranny. 4 of them will give you around 90% new fluid. 3 1/2qt drain and fill: 42,66,81,89% ----14 qts total.
Hopefully you used a quality ATF approved for your Honda Ody.
Hopefully you also replaced all the brake fluid. (I know you said all, but, just in case.) PS fluid?
And, don't forget the cabin air filter. :eek: :)
Since you seem to be a good mechanic, you might think about doing a valve lash adjustment and replacing the brushes in the alternator, if it is the original alternator.
Consider putting in an ATF cooler and a Magne-fine ATF filter.
Quite a few post on doing those two things. Odyfamily has some great ones!!

Best of luck!!
Buffalo4
SP: What did you clean when you took the 'valve cover' off?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Sounds great. Don't forget to do more than one drain and fill of the tranny. 4 of them will give you around 90% new fluid. 3 1/2qt drain and fill: 42,66,81,89% ----14 qts total.
Hopefully you used a quality ATF approved for your Honda Ody.
Hopefully you also replaced all the brake fluid. (I know you said all, but, just in case.) PS fluid?
And, don't forget the cabin air filter. :eek: :)
Since you seem to be a good mechanic, you might think about doing a valve lash adjustment and replacing the brushes in the alternator, if it is the original alternator.
Consider putting in an ATF cooler and a Magne-fine ATF filter.
Quite a few post on doing those two things. Odyfamily has some great ones!!

Best of luck!!
Buffalo4
SP: What did you clean when you took the 'valve cover' off?
Thanks. What is a valve lash adjustment? Is the replacement of the brushes better than changing the alternator?

·
Registered
534 Posts
4 I thought it was 3 D/F

I've done to 2 so far, im spreading them out
It's the law of "diminishing returns." Each D/F is less effective than the one before it.

After 3 D/F my fluid looked pretty good, so I decided to spread the 4th one out to the next oil change. Seems to me that synchronizing ATF D/F with oil changes is the best use of time and keeps fresh fluids in both. I liked my own maintenance program so much, I decided to do a Coolant D/F too with every oil change - drain a gallon and add a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze.

·
Registered
602 Posts
if it's slipping than your tranny is shot and engaging metal on metal on whatever gear is destroyed. 02-04 is 3rd gear. I have guides and videos explaining how to rebuild it. your transaxle will still work but slip more in , maybe winter when it's cold. if you're brave enough to fix the trans you would have a decent ride, and if you fail you can tow it away. the hardest thing about rebuilding is being organized believe it or not. you must work on 1 section at a time and not get confused easily and be prepared to stop and not let your ego get in your way

·
Registered
351 Posts
It's the law of "diminishing returns." Each D/F is less effective than the one before it.

After 3 D/F my fluid looked pretty good, so I decided to spread the 4th one out to the next oil change. Seems to me that synchronizing ATF D/F with oil changes is the best use of time and keeps fresh fluids in both. I liked my own maintenance program so much, I decided to do a Coolant D/F too with every oil change - drain a gallon and add a gallon of 50/50 antifreeze.
I kind of felt it was diminishing returns hence why i didnt do the drive 30 miles and drain again, after the 2nd fluid change it looks pretty much red and overdrive seems to engage a bit smoother

Coolant i had it changed about a year ago with oem type f , it still looks new so i havent bothered with it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts