Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2003 with 145000 miles slipping from 2nd to 3rd gear I have been pricing transmissions and have been seeing a big range $1800 to rebuild mine to $3700 for a remanufactured with a "heavy duty" torque converter. What is generally needed. Is getting mine rebuilt acceptable or is the issue just going to come back eventually. I'd like to get 300+ out of this van.

My 2000 is at 226000 and had its tranny done at 114000 and 128000 and hasn't had a issue since.

·
Registered
9 Posts
From my experience, I had my tranny rebuild last year and it has been 15 months and I have put on 80000km or 50000 miles, my tranny just started to slip in 1-2 gear last week. Maybe someone with a remanufactured tranny can give you some insight from their experience with one. And I paid $1700 with one year 30000km warranty.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I would go with least expensive option - hopefully the rebuild is doing most/all of what you would get with a re-manfactured unit. What exactly does the rebuild fix (is it just the bad parts?). $3,700 seems high - what that the dealer estimate?

There is not really anything they can do to "beef up" the tranny - so discount any of that BS as salemanship.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Dealer wanted 4700.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got my rebuilt done 6 months ago, it was $1200 with 1 yr / 12000 miles warranty. It is not so bad but there is still hesitation from 2nd to 3rd gear. I hope it would last me another 2-3 yrs.

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Ask them if they replace all the parts, or only the worn out ones. Replacing all is preferable for long service since the reused parts will fail eventually.

Also, make sure they thoroughly flush the cooler and lines. Leftover debris can quickly kill a new transmission.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Update to this thread -

They replaced all the parts added the cooler and filled it back up with Honda fluid. $1900 I asked for a cash discount and ended up at $1700. The work took 2 business days longer then planned so we spent an extra weekend and day without a second car and rented for a day I got it back and it shifts hard 1-2 and I was told that would smooth out in about a week as the computer adjusted? We may need to go back for that but I will give it a couple of weeks to see if it resolves like I was told it would. The rest of the shifts are nice and smooth. He showed me the old plates there was no material left on any of the 2nd to 3rd plates they were all smooth metal. I will update again when there is more information.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts