Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I am new to this forum. I am about to buy a used Odyssey. I am planning to get an '06 - '10 model with less than 80 000 km.

Does anyone have advise for buying used. Problem areas to look for? Weak points? Things to avoid (power doors?).

Any advise would be appreciated.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi dwdw-
Welcome to the machine.

I drive nothing but used cars. For me, I am a stickler about service records. I am comfortable with a higher mileage vehicle if I feel like it's been well cared for and looked after.
Being able to paint a picture of the vehicles maintenance. Even if the records are not complete - ie. a receipt for every single oil change - I feel like you can tell a LOT about how well the vehicle was cared for & the type of owner by looking at how well kept the records are. Also, run a carfax (or similar report as I assume you aren't state side).

I would suggest going with an '07 or later and go ahead and rule out an '06. You will find by reading prior posts that the main weak point of the Odyssey is bad trannys. Honda went with a beefier trans in '07 (the Ridgeline pick up trans - to my understanding) and I would feel much better with owning an '07 vs an '06.

Likely when my '01 bites the dust I am going with an '07 myself.

I like the way another forum member put it - "These are machines - and machines break reguardless of age or miles".

Again, Welcome & best of luck - Let us know what you end up with. We'll be here to help you tear it apart and start the mods.

·
Registered
606 Posts
rear shocks leak
ex and Tour rear motor mount $
front brake rotors warp
some mushy brake problems
power steering

when getting higher mile vehicle factor in service for timing belt/water pump

search on any of this for a LOT more details.

·
Registered
3,115 Posts
Get some coffee and set aside a good 4-6h to browse through the forum.

Also spend sometime in the "Periodic Maintenance" forum and you will have a good ideas of problems/issues pertaining specifically to the 3rd Gen Ody.

Good Luck and hope you will like the Ody!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts