Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my white '01 Ex home and I need to do the first wax job on it. Anyone have any suggestions on what wax works best on the Honda paint?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Hi Tom,

I race and show an import car. It has the factory paint which is no different than any other new car on the road. It's a basic base coat/clearcoat system.

Just remember the clearcoat is thinner than a sheet of paper. Anything abrasive will scratch it.

There are quite a few good waxes on the market. One group of products is from Meguiars. They have a 3 part system consisting of a clearcoat cleaner, a polish, and a wax. You'd be amazed how well the Ody will look after an afternoon of work.

Waxes tend to wear off within a month or so no matter who makes it. So clear your Ody well then pamper it with some high quality wax from Meguiar's, Mother's, Griot's Garage, etc.

Let me know if you have any specific questions.

Jim

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I've used Meguiar's #26 wax and 3M Perfect-It Paste Wax. Both are good, and bead water at least a few months. "Blitz Wax" also seems to have a big following in many online forums, and I may try it on the Odyssey when the weather warms up. I generally avoid polishes or waxes with abrasives unless I am trying to remove swirl marks.

This is a great link to some good how-to articles, including the RIGHT way to wash and wax to avoid swirl marks:
http://www.carcarespecialties.com/howto_articles.html

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for everyone's input.. I called Meguiar's customer help line and got there input also.. They, like most of you recommended the #26 wax. So that is what I went with. I went ahead and did the wheels and the door frames while I was at it and I must admit it looks good..

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have used both Meguiars and Mother's products for years. I have had trouble in the past with the Meguiars 3 stage clumping up on the paint leaving little "dots" of wax that were hard to get off. It was nice and cool with a perfect breeze when I did this. I used it on two different cars. Even bought a new can.

I have never had trouble with Mother's California Gold. Goes on easy and comes off without losing an arm. I use the cleaner/wax and then the pure carnuba. The cleaner wax gets rid of most water spots and road grime. It also makes the carnuba go on and off easier.

I also highly recommend the Mother's interior cleaner. It is like a satin finish armor-all that smells great. It is a lot more forgiving if you miss a spot too. I don't like the oil slick look of some of the others. It looks great on the tires as well.

They also have a Wheel/Rim cleaner in a yellow bottle that works like magic on brake dust. It contains Oxalic acid though and you definitely don't want the rim to be warm. Also don't let it dry on the rim or it will leave a milky film that doesn't come off.

Spray, Soak, Scrub and hose it.

The EX rims are so simple in design that you probably won't need it if you wash the car regularly.

Just keep in mind they have a clearcoat paint on them similar to rest of the vehicle. Don't use anything abrasive.

Scotchpads ect...

I am not affiliated with Mother's just a satisfied user. I went through a lot of bad products before I got it right.

Mac

·
Registered
96 Posts
Tom,

Consumer Reports recently did a comparison on wax products. What they found was that it depends on what your #1 priority is (durability, lack of swirl marks, shine, etc). Different products have different strong points and different negative points. Their overall #1 recommended product was Zymol. The problem with Zymol is that it is expensive, around $12 a bottle. I've never used it before and would probably not use it until I heard good personal experiences. However, if it does a good job then I would pay the extra money. Maybe someone here could enlighten us. If you want information on which issue it was, let me know and I can find out.

Chris

------------------
99 EX Deep Velvet Blue
Fog Lights
Air Deflector
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Just got a break in the bad weather, so I waxed the van for the first time yesterday.

Decided to go with the OneGrand Blitz Wax. Bought it a while ago on recommendation of some websites and users.

Overall, I have to say it's the best wax I've used for application. Goes on and wipes off very easy. And, unlike others I've used, it changes color quite a bit as it dries, making it easier to know when to buff. Also, no problems staining or removing from black trim.

Can't speak to how well or how long it protects yet, but many report its as good as some of the better polymer sealants. We shall see.

The Odyssey is a pain to wax. Too tall, and lots of trim. I sure hope this wax is long-lasting, as I'm not looking forward to next time.

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by caviller:
The Odyssey is a pain to wax. Too tall, and lots of trim. I sure hope this wax is long-lasting, as I'm not looking forward to next time.</font>
Amen! I'm no wuss when it comes to detailing. I've shown cars off and on a good bit of my life.

For some reason the Ody wore my ass out. I washed, clayed, and used the Meguiar's 3 step system. Five time over that hulking minivan is a workout.

I'm breaking out the buffer next time.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've been hearing a lot of high praise for Zaino Bros., http://www.zainobros.com on the Internet, so I gave a call to them last week. He hooked me up with one of his distributors here in CA. who takes credit cards and ships. I called the CA. guy up and had the product in 48 hours.

I used the Z-1 & Z-2 on it yesterday. Something came up, and I had to leave the Z-2 on overnight and didn't buff it (more accurately _wipe_ ...super easy!) off until afternoon today. Great stuff and I can see why people swear by it. I was so impressed, I just have to see what it will do for our brown '90 Accord... my project for tomorrow!

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
84 Posts
Update on Zaino Bros.

Tried it on our 11 year old Accord after getting good results on our new Ody. The old car had all kinds of "swirl" marks, especially on the hood & roof. When I wiped off the haze, all the old swirl marks were completely gone!! I still can't believe it, as I just used the Z-1 & Z-2 on it. This stuff is truly amazing! Do a Yahoo search on Zaino Brothers and note all the car clubs, etc., that rank it number one. After trying it, I'm a new believer! Will have to try their stuff for glass next.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

------------------

2001 Starlight Silver LX
Splash Guards
Cargo Tray
Cargo Mat
Keyless Remote Entry & Alarm
Trans. Oil Cooler
Tow Package
Fog Lights

·
Registered
70 Posts
Tried Zymol on my F150 (black) pickup, and it worked great. I don't believe it shined as good new.

Blacks one of the more difficult colors to get right, so I'm expecting it to be a snap on our SS Ody.

------------------
'01 SS Honda Odyssey EX
'99 F150 XL Supercab
'00 Kawasaki ZR-7

·
Registered
44 Posts
Skybolt, I was just wondering how the wax job is holding up on both vehicles after a couple weeks? Any complaints? Also how much did you have to use to wax the Odyssey? I want to order some but want to make sure I get enough. I'm just going to get the Z-1 & Z-2.
Thanks!

·
Registered
84 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by LovenLifeInMyOdy:
Skybolt, I was just wondering how the wax job is holding up on both vehicles after a couple weeks? Any complaints? Also how much did you have to use to wax the Odyssey? I want to order some but want to make sure I get enough. I'm just going to get the Z-1 & Z-2.
Thanks!
</font>
Hi LovenLifeInMyOdy,
I'm even more sold on it after having it on for a bit. I'd also suggest getting the Z-6 and Z-7, along with the Z-1 & Z-2. Where we are, the "bugs" are real heavy this time of year... we can't even go to town (25 miles round trip) without splatting up the front pretty good. You'd think those stupid bugs would fly higher! Anyway, I just take an all cotton towel (about the size of a face towel) and spray just a real small amount of the Z-6 on the bug areas and wipe off with the towel. The Z-6 goes along way, and works great for debugging and it actually enhances the gloss and protection.

After doing a 500 mile day, there were just too many bugs so I washed it with the Z-7. It said to use 2 to 3 caps per gallon of water, I only put in 2 1/2 caps into about a 3 gallon bucket. It didn't suds up like the stuff we used to use, but it worked great and I think it actually _added_ to the shine! Next wash I'll go 3 capss, or 1 cap per gallon, which is still less than what it says to do, but I wash fairly often. The Show Car Wash (Z-7) also contains Polish and UV Blockers, so it seems to refresh or boost your polish job instead of dulling it.

One thing I was quite pleased with, was how road tar seems to float right off. I had picked up some on the driver's side, and it started floating off from just the pre-wash hose job. What didn't come off from the hose job, washed right off with the Z-7.

I used the Z-1 on our Ody and on our '90 Accord... I have a less than a half, but more than a third of the bottle left. Since you only use the Z-1 once or twice a year... one bottle is all you'll need to order.

On the Z-2, I again did the Ody & Accord, and have about a fifth of a bottle left. The Ody has a lot of surface to cover. I'm going to re-order 3 more bottles of Z-2 and do the "three coat job" for the reported mile deep effect with the Z-6 between each coat. I figure two more coats will have me there, and then maybe another coat this summer, with the Z-6 and Z-7 keeping it together will cover me until next fall. I'm so happy with the products I've used so far, I think I might try their glass stuff, too. I keep thinking the Ody windows are a pain compared to the Accord's, but I RainX the Accord's every winter... so maybe that's the difference.

Be sure to read the FAQ & Tips on their website. At first, I kept waiting for the Z-1 to "haze", but the "haze" on that is very subtle... then I read the FAQ and it dealt with that. The stuff is super easy to use once you fiqure it out.

Best Regards,
Skybolt

·
Premium Member
1,212 Posts
Are you guys interested in a group deal on Zaino's products? I'm in contact with Sal Zaino and he's interested.

------------------
Jim
'01 GG EX

·
Registered
22 Posts
Yes, I'm also interested. Thanks.
---
Byron
'01 SS EX, air deflector

·
Registered