Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I been driving my 06 touring for about two weeks, love it, yet fit some reason I can't get my mind beyond the cup holders every time I have a drink in there.
Yes, I know I'm not the only one that has that issue or has said anything about it. But it bothers me enough to post something new about it.
Why built 50 cuP holders when they are just worthless.
Oveall the front center tray is just bad. I hate the holders in it and I dislike that I can cover any junk/mess that I have there. Kinda looks like there should be a lid or cover for it but I've yet to see an ody with it.
Anyways, love the ody, hate the cup holders.
Can that center tray be replaced? Can I switch it with the one from the second row. That is what should be in the front according to me. Lol.

·
Registered
2,604 Posts
Honda doesn't know diddly about cup holders. There are a bunch of them...but very few actually fit anything. I have seen a mod where someone took a Touring console from the second row and made some mods for it to fit up front. I considered this but just never got around to it. The newest Ody isn't much better. The console cupholders are up to 90's GM standards...but now the slide out dash cupholder is circa 1995 Toyota Pickup.

·
Registered
128 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Moreno0127 - I know exactly what you mean, worthless POS tray. So I did the following:

http://www.odyclub.com/forums/52-2005-2010-odyssey/92347-rear-bin-storage-installed-place-tray.html

I also did the same thing for my parents 2010 Touring, although they did have to buy the 2nd row storage bin (not cheap).
That is some awesome info. Honestly I was all talk about putting a new console in the front but now that I know it can be done it's going to happen.
I'm taking the second row storage since im sliding one of the seats into the center for my newborn. So if that same storage fits in the front then that's where it's going.
I hope it's that easy, I work in a metal shop so getting a plate and shaped is not an issue.
Thanks fir the info. Have a weekend project in my hands.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I installed something like this in mine

Amazon.com: Rampage 39923 Universal Padded Mini Van Storage Console: Automotive

It was the best mod I did, removed the stupid tray, built a bracket that connected the console to the mount for the tray, and it's been perfect.
Looks like an option. Any downsides? How the cupholders, sounds like they are adjustable. And good size storage??

I'm going to see how I like my original rear console up front then I might look I to these.

Thanks.

·
Registered
318 Posts
This is the exact model I installed

Amazon.com: Wolf 38602005 Consl Dlx Flr Mn.Van Gray: Automotive

The gray matches my 2007 exl gray close enough that no one can tell

Like some people in the amazon reviews have said, the hinge comes unscrewed in shipping. I have a screw driver, so I put the screw back in :) I understand people being upset over this, but it doesn't bother me.

There are no downsides to this console other than that.

Since I used an L-bracket from Home depot to mount it to the same bolt at the bottom of the passenger seat that the tray mounts to, it has room to move. You could engineer a better mount if you wanted to, I did quick and dirty. It stays in place, but wobbles a little

I took some dense packing foam and wedged it under the back of the console (it too was gray) and that made it tight.

I like it, my wife likes it, the cup holders are great, the two compartments add a good bit of storage, it has a change holder too which is nice

No regrets for me, but if you are SUPER picky, you would be upset that it isn't mounted 100% rock solid. This could be fixed with a little effort on better mounting than what I did.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Could you see these consoles being set up a bit higher like an suv do I can use it as an arm rest maybe? Don't know it anyone has done it but I'm sure going to try.
Are those cup holders on the side? Are they retractable?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Kenny1773,

Anyway we can see a picture of this center console in your car, I like see how it looks in the car?

Thanks

·
Registered
411 Posts
Could you see these consoles being set up a bit higher like an suv do I can use it as an arm rest maybe? Don't know it anyone has done it but I'm sure going to try.
Are those cup holders on the side? Are they retractable?

That's an inset picture. It's a smaller picture of the console shown with the lids closed. Look again... ;)

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Feel kind of stupid right now. Lol. No wonder it looked odd. If anything I'm using my phone so the smaller screen doesn't do justice.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Moreno - the dimensions of the plate are 11.5" x 11.5" on the horizontal part and 3" tall on the vertical part, fyi. Regardless of what you decide, either solution is what Honda SHOULD have done. BTW, the 2011 has a proper storage bin in between the front seats :)

·
Registered
46 Posts
I don't mind the design of the cupholders and tray in my 2009 EX. The cupholders securely hold a can of diet Coke, my coffee mug, and water. What more do I need? You may be out of luck if you have a 32 oz. Big Gulp or something similar. I also like the open tray concept. I do not want to be opening and closing flip up doors when looking for something. I put it on the tray and grab it as I need it. Anything you lay on top of a door, will end up between the seats. Keep it simple and Honda did!

·
Registered
46 Posts
I agree with the previous poster. What I like on my 2005 is that whenever I go to Home Depot and need to get some lumber that is longer, I can use the free space between the front seats and slide it in there. I can put quite a lot of boards there...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Kenny1773,

Anyway we can see a picture of this center console in your car, I like see how it looks in the car?

Thanks
My wife has the van on a week long trip right now, sorry. I can take some pics when she gets back if you still need them then.

The stock height is too low for an arm rest, it would look strange that high up (if you built your own base to raise it)

I also have "Sticky Mats" on the lids, so if I want to just set my blackberry on the top, I can and it won't slide. That tray was annoying as hell. I drive fast and corner hard, nothing stayed on it :)

The arm rest comes in and out fairly easily (really easy if you don't bolt it down like I did) If i needed the space for lumber or whatever, I would just remove it and put it back later.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Moreno - the dimensions of the plate are 11.5" x 11.5" on the horizontal part and 3" tall on the vertical part, fyi. Regardless of what you decide, either solution is what Honda SHOULD have done. BTW, the 2011 has a proper storage bin in between the front seats :)
thanks for the info, i meat to ask you details but didnt want you taking everything apart just to measure it. lol.
i still havent taking anything apart yet, once i do ill go and get a plate cut and shaped at work. ill do the holes with a drill at home.

diligence I don't mind the design of the cupholders and tray in my 2009 EX.
It seems that the cup holders work for some people, but i think theres more of us that have an issue with them. i stopped by starbucks today and the drinks we got seemed to fit in there perfect for once. but the one coffee mug i always use will not stay in there. so they have to go.

I also like the open tray concept. I do not want to be opening and closing flip up doors when looking for something. I put it on the tray and grab it as I need it.
I somewhat aggree with you, though id like to have the option to put stuff away out of sight if i want to and still have it with in reach thats why putting the rear console up front is a great idea you have your top tray and all that storage space.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My wife has the van on a week long trip right now, sorry. I can take some pics when she gets back if you still need them then.

The stock height is too low for an arm rest, it would look strange that high up (if you built your own base to raise it)
pics are always great no matter when you post them. Or if anyone has their own custom setup, please post.
I was thinking about lifting up the console but i guess the wife didnt like the idea, and since its the family(her) vehicle she has the final word on it.
ill still try to see what it looks like, if its too odd or weird ill just place it on the floor.

·
Registered
128 Posts
thanks for the info, i meat to ask you details but didnt want you taking everything apart just to measure it. lol.
i still havent taking anything apart yet, once i do ill go and get a plate cut and shaped at work. ill do the holes with a drill at home.
If you need more details, just IM me and I'll be happy to provide!! :)

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
I been driving my 06 touring for about two weeks, love it, yet fit some reason I can't get my mind beyond the cup holders every time I have a drink in there.
Yes, I know I'm not the only one that has that issue or has said anything about it. But it bothers me enough to post something new about it.
Why built 50 cuP holders when they are just worthless.
Oveall the front center tray is just bad. I hate the holders in it and I dislike that I can cover any junk/mess that I have there. Kinda looks like there should be a lid or cover for it but I've yet to see an ody with it.
Anyways, love the ody, hate the cup holders.
Can that center tray be replaced? Can I switch it with the one from the second row. That is what should be in the front according to me. Lol.
They're not worthless. All you have to do is don't do any jackrabbit starts and drive straight down the road and never turn until you have finished your drink. :DD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts