Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, let me start off by saying this thread is not to bash Honda in any way or talk about about the Odyssey. Now with that out of the way...here is my issue. On 2/13/2011 I leased a 2011 EX-L with RES. Leased the car from a dealer 1.5 hours away. After having the van for 2 days, I noticed that in the AM when we would start the van a large amount of blue/grey smoke would come out of the tail pipe. Thinking nothing of it and convincing myself that it just must be some stuff burning of the engine. Car only has 121 miles on it at this time. Over the next 2 days I notice that the van emits a large amount of exaust if the van is left sitting for more than a hours. Well I contact my local dealer and they tell me, well why don't you take it back to the dealer that you bought it from". That issue needs to be a totally different thread. So I took the van to the original dealer yesterday morning for them to figure out why the van emits some much exaust at start-up. I expressed to them my frustrations around having to bring the van into be serviced with only 227 miles on the odometer. Well today, I received a call from my sales person saying, I have good news and bad news. He advised that van has a serious issue and they can not give it back to me and that it must be sent back to Honda. They then said they are going to get me a new van, but it will not be in until the end of the month. They did provide me with rental. So, to the million dollar question...what would you do? Do I just wait for the new van to come in and be happy? Do I ask for the touring that they have now for the same price? What would you do?

I appologize for any spelling errors as I am typing this on my ipad.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would call Honda Customer Service and complain. Now I doubt they will upgrade yout to a Touring model. But maybe they would provide an extended warranty on the new van or give you some other considerations.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Take it and run. What the dealer is offering you is the best case scenario. Kudos to the dealer for giving you a new van and also providing you with a rental.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Off topic (sorta :))

Am I the only one who thought of Team America when I read this title? :DD

You could try to squeeze more out of them, especially since they are already giving you a new van. I highly doubt they'll go for it, but what's the worst case scenario? They say no? Then you just take the new van.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
Wow. That has to be a serious problem for them to offer up a new van so painlessly. Lets be real. They're not going to give you a Touring for your woes. They already have given you a rental and are offereing to give you a replacement with no trouble what so ever. Others haven't been that lucky with their lemons and have had to fight to get Honda to take back a lemon. I'd say you are already ahead of the game as they're offering to replace yours.

What you can do however is ask them if they can get in the same thing you have from some other dealer via an exchange so that you do not have to wait till the end of the month.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
My answer: Have them sign a document as proof, enjoy the rental and wait for the new van?

Sounding negative here, but I seriously doubt that they can give you a new van, they are obligated to go as far as fixing it under warranty as the car is now used sort to speak. But hey, if they really do, wow. As for asking for a higher model, you are trying your luck even harder, don't push it :p

So get a signed paper indicating that they will do what they said over the phone, and report back if the guys make it happen, including the name of the dealer :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
side note, since it's a leased vehicle, it's owned by AHFC, and therefor in their best interest to repair the vehicle and/or replace it. Legally, I think it's probably spelled out in their lease documentation that they either replace a vehicle with a major malfunction not caused by leasee outright with an equivalent in as timely a manner as possible, or cancel the lease without termination penalties.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for all the insight and comments. I have to say that I never once asked for a new van. I dropped the van off at the dealership yesterday, was immediately met by my sales person who said, "we will take care of everything". My sales person drove me to pick up a rental and that was it. My sales person, service director and service manager called me today to say, the van has a serious issue and we don't feel comfortable giving this van back to you. The van is only 6 days old with around 200 miles, so I am not sure the lemon law applies. They told me, I never had to ask, that I have two options 1) I can get a new exl with RES in another color off of their lot or 2) I can wait a week or two and get the new Polished Metal on that is coming in. I currently have the polished metal. Seeing that I had to order the first polish metal and that the only polished metal exl with RES in the SE is the one I will be waiting on. My sales person called me about 10 minutes ago to say the new van should arrive between the 22nd and the 25th and will call me once the new van arrives.

·
Registered
810 Posts
What is the "issue" that the van has? Did The person on the engine line forget to put oil in it?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since the engine has not been opened yet, they think it is hairline crack somewhere in the head that is allowing oil to get into the cylinders. The service director advised that vehicle is going to be sent back to Honda for further diagnosis.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
So far I am very pleased at how Hollywood Honda is handling this issue.
Keep us aprised of what is happening. You certainly have everything going your way.

Frankly, I would've jumped at picking another one off their lot while the offer was outstanding.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
It wasnt that I could pick any van off of their lot, it was I could select a another ex-l with RES in another color. Since they don't have a Polished Metal I was not interested.

·
Premium Member
14,606 Posts
It wasnt that I could pick any van off of their lot, it was I could select a another ex-l with RES in another color. Since they don't have a Polished Metal I was not interested.
OK, thanks for the clarification. Yes color choice can be the determining factor as you have to live with the decision for a long time.

Hope all goes well with the soon to be delivered Ody? Let us know what happens....

·
Registered
144 Posts
i agree that that's about the best thing that could have happened. i suppose you could pressure them into getting you into the touring, but more important is that you don't have to deal with a lemon car for the duration of your lease.
if it were me, i'd be happy with my dealer for now, at least until they can deliver the promised vehicle. you may also focus your energy into them trading for the van from another dealership if time's really an issue, but the end of the month is less than two weeks away. take some long road trips in that loaner of yours and save your leased miles. :)

·
Banned
728 Posts
Defects happen. I think you are being treated very fairly. You get to drive a rental at no charge and will get a replacement van. Honda will figure out what went wrong with your van and will hopefully avoid the same situation in the future.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
UPDATE...I was called by my sales person yesterday and advised my new van just arrived and they will have it ready for me to pick it up today. I arrived at the dealership today and was handed the keys to a brand new van...Of course after filling out some paper work. Process was flawless and I was extremly pleased how Hollywood Honda in Florida handled the whole situation. My wife is glad to have her new van back. The defective van is being picked up by Honda next week to be taken back and taken apart to see what went wrong.

·
Super Moderator
13,838 Posts
UPDATE...I was called by my sales person yesterday and advised my new van just arrived and they will have it ready for me to pick it up today. I arrived at the dealership today and was handed the keys to a brand new van...Of course after filling out some paper work. Process was flawless and I was extremly pleased how Hollywood Honda in Florida handled the whole situation. My wife is glad to have her new van back. The defective van is being picked up by Honda next week to be taken back and taken apart to see what went wrong.
Nice. Painless happy ending. They(painless happy endings) are getting kind of rare lately.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts