Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What year was it that Honda upgraded ("improved") our transmissions (have heard 2008-'10, then read it was not until 2009 -- confusing) and what exactly did they do to improve them? Also, how many of you are running transmission coolers and magnefine style inline trans. filters? Thanks.

·
Registered
900 Posts
They made incremental changes I believe after 2006. Not till the 2011 6 speed was there a significant redesign. Earlier updates primarily involved routing additional fluid to a gear to keep temps in check. Think there was some external lines dedicated to that fix in later 5 speeds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
122 Posts
I believe the big fix came in mid 2004 in the previous generation.

2007 went from the previous 3-shaft transmission to the "Ridgeline" 4-shaft transmission. These are pretty solid, only complaints I've seen are torque convertor shudder.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Whoa -- you guys were all over that one. Thanks. Looks like Honda took some notes from previous iterations and went to work. I've always added an in-line filter on all my vehicles (because they work and do a better job than the factory filter and pan magnet alone) and had excellent results. There is a big difference in fluid clarity with vs. without. About to purchase an '09 (with 190K on it) for $4K, just getting ready to implement some improvements (Max-Life Fluid, Lube-Gard Red (anti-shudder properties, friction modification, etc), and trans-cooler. Would like to take this vehicle to 300K+ (key is replacing trans fluid every 25K, and using the above improvements). Like my dad used to say "it's all theory until you've proven it in the field" and so far... the proof has indeed been in the pudding).

How many members on here with 3rd Gens that are 300K+ on their original transmissions?

·
Registered
122 Posts
The 2005-2006 have a filter that can be accessed and changed (#7 in the top diagram). I changed mine. My 2005 was at around 230k miles when it was totaled. The transmission had been whining since I bought it at 125k.

I got a 2010 and so far so good. But the 2007+ filter (#1 in the bottom diagram) is down inside the transmission and can't be changed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are there any difference between EX-L and Touring transmissions and base models? I asked a JMD Engine in Philadelphia for a transmission and they say that they have some in stock for base model but it will not fit to touring! I was surprised.

My Transmission is 242,000 miles, I never changed fluid (which I am planning to do soon) but I still expect it to fail soon. What is the best year for a donor car for me to get transmission from? Can I use 4 gen transmission?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Like my dad used to say "it's all theory until you've proven it in the field"
Also, there is no difference between practice & theory... in theory. In practice, there is.
  • We installed a transmission cooler: the difference is night vs. day when towing! No-mo screaming hot transmission.
  • To Barmaleyv's point, we also got a 2005 a couple of years ago with ~200k miles; likewise the fluid had never (to the original owner's knowledge) been changed.
    • We changed the fluid 3x (and filter on 1st change), making the changes 100-200 miles apart (consecutive weekends for us). In theory (that thing again), this procedure gets rid of ≥90% of the used fluid.
    • The process made a WORLD of difference in smoother shifts and reduced hesitation when starting.
    • Sure, the clutch plate wear still exists, but the wear PRODUCTS are no longer in the transmission gunking up clutch-packs, journals, and valve bodies.
    • It's bought us an additional year... so far.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Are 2007-2010 transmissions identical? Will Ridgeline transmission fit on Odyssey? Can I use 2011 Transmission? Are touring and base transmissions the same?

·
Registered
5 Posts
"How many members on here with 3rd Gens that are 300K+ on their original transmissions?"

2007 EX-L on original transmission at ~316K. Only changed fluid at independent shops when maintenance minder said to. Transmission has had a mild judder or (wife calls it chugging) between 25-45 mph since new. A transmission software reprograming recall was performed early in car's life but didn't help.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have 209K on my ;07 EXL. Runs great and the tranny is very good. I change the tranny fluid about once a year as it is so easy. I also have a tranny cooler on it as I tow with it. I do have the VCM disable with an S-VCM unit, but still get 23 mph on the highway going 75 mph+. I disabled the VCM due to towing. I bought it used and there was no VCM issue with it at the time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Are there any difference between EX-L and Touring transmissions and base models? I asked a JMD Engine in Philadelphia for a transmission and they say that they have some in stock for base model but it will not fit to touring! I was surprised.

My Transmission is 242,000 miles, I never changed fluid (which I am planning to do soon) but I still expect it to fail soon. What is the best year for a donor car for me to get transmission from? Can I use 4 gen transmission?
In this thread: https://www.odyclub.com/threads/most-miles-for-a-timing-belt.356630/#post-2350557

you said your engine and transmission were both running fine. There is no reason so be sourcing a replacement for your transmission if it's running fine.

Note: carcomplaints.com has 19 "transmission problems" complaints (out of 272 total complaints) for the 2007 Odyssey and they are pretty much all torque convertor shudder, not leave-you-stranded failure.

Compare to 2002 Odyssey, with 221 transmission complaints out of 265 total, and 118 are "transmission failure".

·
Registered
712 Posts
They made incremental changes I believe after 2006. Not till the 2011 6 speed was there a significant redesign. Earlier updates primarily involved routing additional fluid to a gear to keep temps in check. Think there was some external lines dedicated to that fix in later 5 speeds.

But the 6 speed was not on all 2011 models. As in many years, the touring models get a different "better" transmission. Am sure my EX-L had a 5 speed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
"How many members on here with 3rd Gens that are 300K+ on their original transmissions?"

2007 EX-L on original transmission at ~316K. Only changed fluid at independent shops when maintenance minder said to. Transmission has had a mild judder or (wife calls it chugging) between 25-45 mph since new. A transmission software reprograming recall was performed early in car's life but didn't help.
2004 EX original transmission 280k. Changed fluid every 30k since new with amsoil trans fluid.

·
Registered
5 Posts
2004 EX-L with (only) 180K miles. We shopped for a 2004 vehicle that was outside the recall range. Still going strong, smooth shifting and running. :)

From the archives:
5-speed tranny recall
2002–03 Odyssey: ALL
2004 Odyssey: From VIN 5FNRL18..4B000001 thru 5FNRL18..4B051620

·
Registered
900 Posts
But the 6 speed was not on all 2011 models. As in many years, the touring models get a different "better" transmission. Am sure my EX-L had a 5 speed.
Correct. The 2011 model year only the touring got the 6 speed. I gambled it would be better and I’m so glad I did. Zero issues with standard maintenance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts