Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '02 Ody that my daughter hit a tree with....it has about 290K on it.

Wellllllll, we replaced it w/a '06 Sienna...and it promptly blew a headgasket. The book calls for 17 hours of labor....at around 100 bucks an hour. That means I will be in to it for 2K, or more.

Last night, my wife got a call from the CSP at 6:30 am (yep, last night at 0630). Your son has been in an accident and it going to the ER. It would seem that he fell asleep on the way home, after the midnight shift...1 mile from the turn-off. The Volvo rolled 2 or 3 times.,,,long story short...we need a new car pretty darn quick.

l have been looking at CL and pricing vans. There is an '04 Ody w/180K on it for $2,800. I am not pleased w/the the bitch of whore Toyota at the moment and pretty much feel like putting a chain on it and dragging it to the crusher. I'll show her.

I still have the old Ody, so I'd have a part here and there, if I needed it. So, adding an Ody to my fleet of the same series has its merits.

That brings me to my question...my '02 had a weak trans. Did they make any improvements to the trans, w/in that series, and if so, what years?

Don't feel bad when I say this....but the Ody also had some other issues, weak rear suspension (which air-bags didn't fix), sllding doors that work, and then don't (can they be deleted? The last time the doors stuck open, it was about 15 degrees out).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Sometime in 2004 there was an upgrade for the trans. A recent post refers to the vin number after wich the upgrade is included. Beware, the Oddy that you are looking at may not have the original transmission, the replacement may not be any better than your 02.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have an '02 Ody that my daughter hit a tree with....it has about 290K on it.

Wellllllll, we replaced it w/a '06 Sienna...and it promptly blew a headgasket. The book calls for 17 hours of labor....at around 100 bucks an hour. That means I will be in to it for 2K, or more.

Last night, my wife got a call from the CSP at 6:30 am (yep, last night at 0630). Your son has been in an accident and it going to the ER. It would seem that he fell asleep on the way home, after the midnight shift...1 mile from the turn-off. The Volvo rolled 2 or 3 times.,,,long story short...we need a new car pretty darn quick.

l have been looking at CL and pricing vans. There is an '04 Ody w/180K on it for $2,800. I am not pleased w/the the bitch of whore Toyota at the moment and pretty much feel like putting a chain on it and dragging it to the crusher. I'll show her.

I still have the old Ody, so I'd have a part here and there, if I needed it. So, adding an Ody to my fleet of the same series has its merits.

That brings me to my question...my '02 had a weak trans. Did they make any improvements to the trans, w/in that series, and if so, what years?

Don't feel bad when I say this....but the Ody also had some other issues, weak rear suspension (which air-bags didn't fix), sllding doors that work, and then don't (can they be deleted? The last time the doors stuck open, it was about 15 degrees out).
The 04 had a trans upgrade. I have a 04 and had no issues with it. Id suggest changing the fluid and adding a inline filter and cooler.
Most of the parts on your 02 would be interchangeable.

The door has plastic/resin type rollers on the inside that need to be replaced once worn down ,the parts for each door are around 50 for my 04 at the local parts store.

For that price and mileage you cant go wrong on the 04. Id give it a test drive and see how she drives and sounds.

If you end up buying it. To set the mind at ease and to know where the maintenance is at on it. some of the things I would suggest are changing the fluids, brake,trans,motor,and radiator.
filters,oil obviously,air,and cabin behind the glovebox.
Belts, power steering/alt and timing.
spark plugs are cheap and while your putting them in possibly the injectors and coils as well depending on how much you want to spend.
Check the rotors and pads,I believe your 02 rotors are interchangeable as well if the 04's are bad. They are cheap to turn and not too bad about 200 for a set of new ones.
I ended up doing everything except the timing belt...
Plan on either doing the timing belt or having it done so you dont end up with a blown motor when the belt breaks.
My belt recently broke and i am in the process of finding out whats damaged then rebuilding or replacing it.
If it blew the top and bottom when the belt broke,I mite borrow that chain of yours to drag the bitch down to the scrapper with your toyota lol

·
Registered
18 Posts
The 04 had a trans upgrade. I have a 04 and had no issues with it. Id suggest changing the fluid and adding a inline filter and cooler.
Most of the parts on your 02 would be interchangeable.

The door has plastic/resin type rollers on the inside that need to be replaced once worn down ,the parts for each door are around 50 for my 04 at the local parts store.

For that price and mileage you cant go wrong on the 04. Id give it a test drive and see how she drives and sounds.

If you end up buying it. To set the mind at ease and to know where the maintenance is at on it. some of the things I would suggest are changing the fluids, brake,trans,motor,and radiator.
filters,oil obviously,air,and cabin behind the glovebox.
Belts, power steering/alt and timing.
spark plugs are cheap and while your putting them in possibly the injectors and coils as well depending on how much you want to spend.
Check the rotors and pads,I believe your 02 rotors are interchangeable as well if the 04's are bad. They are cheap to turn and not too bad about 200 for a set of new ones.
I ended up doing everything except the timing belt...
Plan on either doing the timing belt or having it done so you dont end up with a blown motor when the belt breaks.
My belt recently broke and i am in the process of finding out whats damaged then rebuilding or replacing it.
If it blew the top and bottom when the belt broke,I mite borrow that chain of yours to drag the bitch down to the scrapper with your toyota lol
I am learning that while you replace a broken timing belt you mite as well replace the tensioners ,water pump,cams and crank seal i think it was. It all comes in a kit for around 160. Sounds like a engine rebuild with all the parts I listed lol. Or Just get it and run it like you got it. Id just hope the timing belt dont go

·
Registered
638 Posts
Since you own an 02. The 04, I think is the same. 5 speed. So you should expect similar problems as your 02.
Your buying a used van. 18 years old! So ask current owner. Maintenance history. If you have mechanic friend, might be worth it to spend $100 for inspection/test drive.
Good luck.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts