Honda Odyssey Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have a dedicated warranty forum, a dedicated wheels forum and a dedicated audio/video/NAV forum. But. Yet, you all come and open new threads in the 2011 forum. Why? Since you all are newer members, I would think your habbits are not spoilt where you have to only be in the 2011 forum like the prior gen owners.

So, what should we do when you all post threads in incorrect forums deliberately?

Lock 'em?
Delete 'em?

I ask because I am tried of moving the threads from all other gens and do not want you guys to do the same. So, what is it going to take to have you guys open threads in the right forum?

·
Registered
53 Posts
We have a dedicated warranty forum, a dedicated wheels forum and a dedicated audio/video/NAV forum. But. Yet, you all come and open new threads in the 2011 forum. Why? Since you all are newer members, I would think your habbits are not spoilt where you have to only be in the 2011 forum like the prior gen owners.
Just some thoughts...

Honestly, I didn't even see the other forums you mentioned. The generational forums are listed first, and as a 2011 owner (and new member) it just seemed intuitive to limit my experience and topics to other 2011 owners, as I know nothing about prior models.

Also, oddly enough it took me a few extra glances to find Wheels and Audio/Video/NAV forums, either because I just missed it, or because they are listed under Accessories, where Honda doesn't consider such items as accessories.

Concerning the audio/video/NAV forum... I don't know a lot about prior generational models, but it seems to me that at least the audio is much different in the 2011's, what with USB interface and 2GB drive. I would think a thread concerning the audio in a 2011 in a global odyssey forum for the audio/video/NAV would get lost, especially considering how new the model is.

I've only started one thread myself, and it was concerning the USB interface.

-J

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've seen in at least 1 other forum that they actually have multiple forums dedicated to each generation. So, instead of a just a general generational forum, and then technical forums for everyone, there would be a general generational forum, along with generational technical forums. It could be subforum organized, but it works better to have them organized at the top level to make it easier to see all of them.

On the other hand, of course, global technical forums help promote cross knowledge. I guess it depends on how much is shared between generations.

I'm not sure if it's technically possible, but maybe you could do both. Have the main page graphically group generationally, each with both general and technical forums, but have the technical forums actually be the same.

2011+
general forum
engine forum (this links to the same forum as below)
audio forum (this links to the same forum as below)
etc.

prior gen
general forum
engine forum (this links to the same forum as above)
audio forum (this links to the same forum as above)
etc.

Doing something like this also allows you to create separate forums when things aren't shared between gens if it makes sense. As noted, maybe sharing audio forums isn't necessarily desired, but clearly the engine is predominately the same. Of course, there is a lot of gray areas here, and choosing to separate forums may not be an easy choice.

The main point is that new members won't know where to put stuff, simply because they aren't familiar with the forums. Having the main page group everything generationally allows a user to focus on what they know (my generation), but gives you the ability to funnel them to the right place.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
I think hasenpfeffer put it well.

Bottom line, it is not that the 2011 owners are special (OK, just a little :D), it is the fact that the odyclub forum has not evolved efficiently, and after 4 car generations, things have changed to the level where one answer from one gen does not answer one of the other and, not surprisingly, it also causes the stir about "who pees farther" and "whose car is better than the other".

Also, I believe that there should be a more proactive approach to stick common threads, else they get buried in the back burner, and 2 days later people repost the same question again, and again.

Anyway, I've also seen it in other forums, it is not perfect, but yes, it can save the mods and admins a lot of pain.

PM sent of one forum I know of if interested

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
That is way too many forums. We cannot get people to stay straight with a very few number of forums so, I doubt adding generation specific forums is gonna help. It is a minivan forum after all and in theory we should be getting a more mature crowd (v/s the hip younger crowd with the Mazda 3 example) but it seems folks want to just go straight at posting what ever they please v/s even attempting to make a half hearted attempt to search or even scroll down on the first page that lists all the forums.

And, quite a few problems are very similar gen to gen. Gas door one, sliding door acuator one and so on. If people just posted in the correct forum category, it would be much more organized.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think hasenpfeffer put it well.

Bottom line, it is not that the 2011 owners are special (OK, just a little :D), it is the fact that the odyclub forum has not evolved efficiently, and after 4 car generations, things have changed to the level where one answer from one gen does not answer one of the other and, not surprisingly, it also causes the stir about "who pees farther" and "whose car is better than the other".

Also, I believe that there should be a more proactive approach to stick common threads, else they get buried in the back burner, and 2 days later people repost the same question again, and again.

Anyway, I've also seen it in other forums, it is not perfect, but yes, it can save the mods and admins a lot of pain.

PM sent of one forum I know of if interested
Agreed, this is the sort of hierarchical breakdown I would've expected.

·
Registered
53 Posts
That is way too many forums. We cannot get people to stay straight with a very few number of forums so, I doubt adding generation specific forums is gonna help. It is a minivan forum after all and in theory we should be getting a more mature crowd (v/s the hip younger crowd with the Mazda 3 example) but it seems folks want to just go straight at posting what ever they please v/s even attempting to make a half hearted attempt to search or even scroll down on the first page that lists all the forums.

And, quite a few problems are very similar gen to gen. Gas door one, sliding door acuator one and so on. If people just posted in the correct forum category, it would be much more organized.
I think you'll always get people who post whatever they want. I think this type of org would help me... perhaps not others, but I can't speak for them. I figured you wanted some insight as to why things were happening, so I gave you how I view it.

Also, I'd have no way of knowing if a problem is the same across generations. I'd just as soon assume not. Of course, searching first always helps, but as we know, not everyone does that, and really nothing that can be done about it.

·
Registered
3,292 Posts
it seems folks want to just go straight at posting what ever they please v/s even attempting to make a half hearted attempt to search or even scroll down on the first page that lists all the forums.
A couple of comments:
  • Member behavior generalization: A lot of the 2011+ members are new to the forum and the car, so yes, they post all over the place, but it is a learning process. You make it sound like all the 2011 owners come from owning Odysseys for years and are senior odyclub members knowing their way around well, and that is not the case
  • I've read your announcement post, very nice but what about making it something more like a basic guide titled "PLEASE READ BEFORE YOU POST, a quick "how to Search and Post guide", that would help much better. It is not just about how to post content, but also things like how to title posts, sticky request suggestions, etc. Now if that announcement could be blasted to new member's "post thread/reply" screens when they have a history of 1 to 10 posts, then we have a winner :) (vBulletin forum enhancement?)

My 2 cents

PS: By the way, this post will get buried in 1 or 2 weeks and you may need to post it again ;)

·
Registered
6,861 Posts
I say Ban them all for having bad taste.....:)

·
Super Moderator
13,878 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PS: By the way, this post will get buried in 1 or 2 weeks and you may need to post it again ;)
How about now? :D

As to the posting. Well, the warranty thread guy has been here for years. His question is so general that it not only impacts 2011 but all cars per say. :D

·
Registered
37 Posts
Seeing as this isn't a large forum I think there are too many topics.

How many new threads are posted in the 2011 forums a day? 1 or 2 maybe?

It's much easier for me as a user to simply look for new threads in one single topic.

·
Registered
197 Posts
@dvpatel, I'm wondering if you missed one of my points. You can probably display forums in a generational manner, but the link could go to the same forum if appropriate.

2011+ might have a 3.5L engine with VCM forum.
previous gen might have a 3.5L engine with VCM forum.

They could be displayed under different generational groups, but they link to the same forum. This can help create a funnel for people that are only concerned for their model year.

Also, one of the things about the odyclub, is it seems to have too many forums as is. If a forum only has tens of posts over the past entire history of odyclub, then why is it a separate forum. I don't know what the numbers actually are, but if you try to separate out too many topics, they won't get used. Nothing's perfect, just try to create forums for VERY obvious categories, and just allow everything else to go into a general forum. It shouldn't be so much about proper categorization, as it should be about being able to find information in a forum. In other words, if you only have general, engine, and audio, and that causes the general forum to only get tens of posts a week, then that seems appropriate, since it would be fairly easy for a user to browse through the limited number of posts. I'm not saying these should be the categories, just putting names down for example.

·
Registered
730 Posts
How about now? :D

As to the posting. Well, the warranty thread guy has been here for years. His question is so general that it not only impacts 2011 but all cars per say. :D
In hind sight, I concur. I was caught up in the moment.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Here's some more ideas. Just my own personal thoughts and ideas, not trying to push these, just trying to spark other ideas.

If I was "king for a day" so to speak, I'd probably have a main page that displayed these forums:

News
Odyclub.com News - News, announcements and events.

General Odyssey
General Discussion - If it's Odyssey related and doesn't fit elsewhere.
Comparisons and Reviews - How does the Odyssey compare to the competition?
Dealers and Warranties - Prices, horror stories, etc.

2011+ Odyssey Technical
Drivetrain - Engine and transmission technical discussions. (I would link this to the same forum as 2005-2010 Drivetrain, even with the 6sp addition)
Interior - Seats, audio, and climate control technical discussions.
Exterior - Body, chassis, suspension, brakes, and wheels technical discussions.

2005-2010 Odyssey Technical
Drivetrain - Engine and transmission technical discussions.

1999-2004 Odyssey Technical

1995-1998 Odyssey Technical

Miscellaneous
Preferred Vendors
Off-topic
Buy/Sell/Trade
Canada
Feedback

That's 20 forums, I believe. The current main page shows 37 forums.

Here's a few thoughts of why I would organize it this way.

- Remove the generational general forums. This is a primary problem. There should only be 1 general forum. This limits users that aren't sure where to post, to 1 forum. In theory this should be easier to monitor.

- Moving to 1 general forum, and moving that forum to a prominant position promotes cross-generational discussions. All members of the forum should be discussing with each other to promote a more active forum. 1 general forum can help with that.

- Moving generational forums to technical oriented discussions seems to be how discussions are going. In other words, discussions that are technical in nature, tend to be generational and cross-generational knowledge isn't generally as important. Non-technical discussions, however, should go into cross-generational forums since these discussions are usually opinion oriented and cross-generational knowledge should be promoted.

- Removed regional discussions. I've never seen these on any forum as drawing big numbers of posts. Canada, however, is an exception and does make sense because of the different models and features, etc.

- Significantly decreased the cross-generational forums. There's just too many. Let it be discussed in the general forum. People just won't utilize all those categories effectively.

- Polls. This just should not be a separate forum. That's just stupid. (my opinion, just saying it the way i see it). Unfortunately I don't see a really good solution, either. It would be nice if polls could be just like any other post, but they are automatically made sticky for some period of time. After that period of time, they aren't sticky. This isn't perfect, either, though.

- Periodic Maintenance. This forum is clearly used a lot. I just don't really like the idea that it's cross-generational, when it's clearly technical oriented. But, there is value in cross-generational knowledge here. So, I don't have a good solution for this, either.

- Problems and Concerns. Why is this separate? People are going to gripe in all the forums, regardless. Let them gripe about their problem in the correct category.

- Introduce Yourself. Sure, if you want it, put it somewhere. I don't see the need. When someone posts for the first time, usually the introduction happens.

- Aftermarket and Modifications. This is similar to periodic maintanence. It's usually technically oriented and should probably be generational, but there is value in cross-generational knowledge. Again, I don't have a good solution for this.

Lastly, I also realize that making a drastic change creates some serious technical hurdles with what to do with all the current posts. I'm just offering ideas to spark ideas...

·
Registered
197 Posts
There's another idea I'd also like to mention. I've seen some forums use FAQ threads as a means of grouping common thread topics. This seems to have varying amounts of success. It can work well, though. The best example I've seen is at TDIClub.com. In their forums, they have a 101 forum with several FAQ stickies. I've used this area many times to locate good information quickly without needing to wade through sometimes useless searches. These FAQs really depend on constant maintanence, of course, but I've found them extremely useful when done well.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Seeing as this isn't a large forum I think there are too many topics.

How many new threads are posted in the 2011 forums a day? 1 or 2 maybe?

It's much easier for me as a user to simply look for new threads in one single topic.
Just an FYI, if you always login, use the New Posts tab and you will retrieve all posts since you last logged on. It's a great tool.

·
Registered
157 Posts
In my experience, frequenters to these type of forums only visit one or two specific forums.

It's too much work otherwise, and since it's what everyone else is doing, you're more likely to get an answer by congregating where everyone else is.

The trick is to arrange the forums not by what you think are logical categories, but by what is justified by traffic.

For example, the regional forums have about 50 posts a piece in them, some of them dating back years; those could just go away. Meanshile, the "Polls" forum has a total of less than ten threads. Surely regional owners aren't going to check regional forums with any sort of frequency given the lack of traffic, and I'd suggest that a thread with a poll could easily be absorbed into wherever forum the OP thinks it's most relevant. Same thing with entire forums about warranties and maybe accessories.

In reality, I think these forums could be condensed down to about 5 total and work most effectively.

Rule of thumb might be to elimante anything that doesn't churn out a whole new page of threads on a daily basis, and consider expanding any forum that goes much beyond that. That's about right for keeping forum content fresh enough that people come back repeatedly to view daily updates.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.