Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In looking around my new 02 I was wondering what the heck that large grilled panel in the lugage area is for. Anyone know??

Also on the other side, In the jack compartment it like there is a place, or holder for 3 tools but I only have 2.
Am I missing one?

·
Registered
4,495 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kapusta:
In looking around my new 02 I was wondering what the heck that large grilled panel in the lugage area is for. Anyone know??
</font>
If I recall, it's a rear vent. If you turn on the rear controls to heat, you can feel some air emmiting from it.Or it's the opposite,it's drawing air out. I know I can hear air circulating through it.

------------------
-ROB-
'01 GG LX "Lagreat"(with lotsa stuff.S-T-U-F-F)

http://community.webshots.com/album/18601743AkjQIJiKqK

·
Registered
55 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by kapusta:

Also on the other side, In the jack compartment it like there is a place, or holder for 3 tools but I only have 2.
Am I missing one?

</font>
The large grill is for the AC system.

I was also wondering about the empty slot where the jack is located. My theory is that it holds some kind of pry bar tool used to remove the hubcaps on the LX models. The EX models don't need them because those have alloy wheels. Can anyone with an LX confirm?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did try to verify what you guys are saying about the large grill by putting a piece of paper on it when the rear fan is on. It seems to hold it to the grill.
Not much intake flow because of the size but I wouldn't want to drive around with a live chicken back there.

As far as the missing tool, I have a LX hubcaps and all, but no extra tool in that open holder.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I mounted the lug 'key' that came with my locking lug nuts in the extra space. Clips right in.

------------------
00 Ody EX (18K)
90 Sable wagon (170K)
89 Cougar (205K!)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
134 Posts
Great idea for the lug key, George. That grill in the back is to suck in air for the HVAC. Small cars just use outside air or recurculate air from under the dash depending on how you set the controls. But the Ody is more like a house. It needs a "air return duct" if you will, to act as an intake for recirculated air and help draw the hot or cold air to the rear passengers. I guess the next generation ody should come with a humidifier and air ionizer with HEPA filter. Maybe even an optional heat pump instead of heater and A/C, for those who live in temperate climates.

------------------
'91 Sentra SE-R
'57 Chevy Belair Sport Coupe.
If at first you don't succeed...so much for skydiving.

·
Registered
596 Posts
I heard the rear "grille" is where you can keep spare hamsters, in case the factory installed ones get tired or die....

Jerry O.

------------------
2001 Odyssey GG LX

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
The rear grille is the return air for the rear HVAC system only. The front system return air is under the dash. The front system has a filter, but I don't know if it's HEPA.

The wheel covers on the LX are held on with the lug nuts, just like the Accord and Civic. No pry tool needed. Extra slot must be for the wheel lock tool.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts