Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys,

I would like to arrange my middle captain chairs into a bench and have my son's child seat in the middle of the car (the safest position). However, if I use the seat belt from the car, that would make access to the third roll virtually impossible with the rachet style seat belt. I was wondering if there is an aftermarket (aircraft style lap belt?) product that I can purchase that will just attach the childseat to the chair in the middle. Anyone has any ideas please feel free to comment.

Tony the Tiger

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
We've talked about this; what you'll need to do is to use the LATCH anchors in the middle seat.

This nominally requires buying a car seat that uses LATCH.

However, someone had the brilliant idea of using a Century LATCH retrofit belt. $25 at BabiesRUs. It's just a lap-style belt with end attachments for your Ody's LATCH anchors. If your child seat can be used with a simple lap belt, this should work as long as the Century belt is long enough for your application.

Personally, I'm going to use this for one seat I have. It's not a Century seat, but it's a seat that can be used with a lap belt no problem. Century will tell you this isn't advised, because it's not been tested. They're correct--that combination of belt and seat has not been tested, so I'm on my own. OK.

If your seat is an older Century seat that was made after a certain date (1997, as I recall), this Century LATCH belt is probably approved for use. Century would be more than happy to discuss it with you.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
I have some photos which you can reach from my page on Odyssey Safety. They show the use of a LATCH carseat to solve the problem you mention.

http://www.car-safety.org/odyssey.html

As Adam1991 mentioned, the Century kit is only recommended and tested for Century models made after 9/1/97. Graco and Evenflo announced their own kits to be released by the end of the year. Using such a kit on another model/brand is definitely at your own risk. Carseats vary, and it is possible that the LATCH anchors might not be compatible with the belt path on some models. Other carseats might be too wide and extend beyone the LATCH anchors. These would both result in a loose fit. "At your own risk" not only means untested, it also means that you may find it not to be compatible. Be sure to get a good return policy in any case.
Please also note we have a 'Kids and Safety' forum at Odyclub, too.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just got mine yerterday evening at Baby 'r us and installed it in a few minutes. This thing works like a charm!! Again thanks for all the information you guys provided. Now I just have to figure out a way to secure my laptop right behind the front seats so that my kid can watch DVD on the 15" screen !

·
Registered
478 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Tony the Tiger:
Now I just have to figure out a way to secure my laptop right behind the front seats so that my kid can watch DVD on the 15" screen !
</font>
Two words: Duct tape!
Or get the poor child his own laptop...
Seriously, it's great to see so many parents taking the extra step to ensure safety for the little ones!

------------------
RRP EX Navi on the way-finally!
Forget world peace-visualize using your turn signal!!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts