Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reposting in the "correct" forum:

I've been trying to search the forum for where to find the best deals on Winter Tires & Wheels for a Canadian EXL '11. Some point to TireRack (they don't carry steel rims in 235/65/17), so costs of alloys + tires add up. Others point to Costco, etc. and those don't seem to have any steel wheels either.

Has anyone with a '11 recently found great deals on 17'' winter package for 2011? US or Canada, doesn't matter, just trying to get a sense of where may be best to get these from?

thanks!

·
Registered
687 Posts
I survived one winter with the default Michelin all season tires but looking to get dedicated winter tires for this season. My initial research indicates that winter tires can be really expensive in Canada.

I am leaning towards Bridgestone Blizzaks and Costco and Canadian Tire don't seem to carry them. A mechanic who services my Mother's cars quoted me a price of around $2,000 dollars for 4 tires and steel rims and installation which seems awfully expensive!

I'm probably going to have the tires imported from Tire Rack and search for the steel rims from a local source and then either have the dealer or 3rd party install them for me.

:huh:

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I survived one winter with the default Michelin all season tires but looking to get dedicated winter tires for this season. My initial research indicates that winter tires can be really expensive in Canada.

I am leaning towards Bridgestone Blizzaks and Costco and Canadian Tire don't seem to carry them. A mechanic who services my Mother's cars quoted me a price of around $2,000 dollars for 4 tires and steel rims and installation which seems awfully expensive!

I'm probably going to have the tires imported from Tire Rack and search for the steel rims from a local source and then either have the dealer or 3rd party install them for me.

:huh:
That's the overall scenario that I found as well. What size tires are you getting for your Touring?

Does anyone know Tire Rack doesn't carry steel rims for 235/65/17 ? Is there a reputable place like TireRack that do steel rims, blizzacks & TPMS for this tire size and ship across the US?

·
Registered
96 Posts
I would encourage you to consider buying alloy rims from TireRack. Pricing is marginally different between steelies and alloy (i.e., Steel wheels are $90 and alloys are $120 which works out to only a $120 difference). Furthermore, when you get a quote on TPMS sensors here in Canada you are probably looking at about $100 per sensor and TireRack charges only $36 each including install. Despite the shipping ($300) and the duty ($60) I still came in hundreds less than any Canadian quote including the dealer and Kal-Tire. Canadian Tire might be cheaper but I wouldn't trust them to open my driver's side door without damaging it. If you do go with TireRack ask them to send you the Sensor IDs for future reference. I have an ATEQ Quickset that works like a charm when I swap the tires out for winter/summer.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
I too noticed Tirerack doesn't have steel wheels available for the 2011/12 on the website ordering tool. However, asking their support staff by email, I got an answer that they do offer steel wheels for the Ody for only 49$. The cheapest alloys are 108$, so there's a significant saving here, and I know the steelies, while ugly, are able to survive multiple winters.

I asked back if those wheels are multi-apps, or exact oem fitment. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've priced out wheel/tire combinations at Tirerack/Discounttire for $1000-1200 US pricing with TPMS.

The only thing I'm hesitant about is the whole TPMS issue. It doesn't seem efficient to purchase whole wheel/tire set if you still have to go pay to have the TPMS programming twice a year. If I'm going to have to make a trip to pay for TPMS reprogramming I may as well just purchase the tires only have pay to have them mounted/rebalanced twice a year.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Other good sources for steel wheels:
"Takeoff wheels" from a dealer. These are wheels removed from a car to put on alloys. Talk to Parts. They will know what you are talking about.

Or Craigslist.

I have done both.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts