Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We picked up our 2008 EX-L yesterday, and the oddest thing about it is the Plus One seat. When I go to the "For Sale" section here, it seems like everybody wants to buy one. Are you nuts? There are three major problems with the Plus One seat:

1) If you install it, it becomes very difficult to get in and out of the third row. My kids kept climbing over the nice leather seats. Yelling ensued, but I lost. Using it as a center console is problematic because of this.

2) The width of the Plus One seat is less than half the width of the other seats. So if you sit in it, part of your back rests against the armrests on the right and left side, which have to be tilted upwards. It seems very uncomfortable!! Also, you need to adjust the other two second row seats exactly right, to create a single bench, or else the kid in the middle will suffer.

3) The length of the seat (the bench part, which your tush sits on) is not as long as the seats to the left and right. It seems like this would make it very uncomfortable to sit on for long trips. Why did they make it like that?

It might be Ok for a camping trip, because I can fold down the third row seat and stow a huge amount of gear behind the second row, whilst keeping my three kids in Row 2. But they'll probably hate it. More likely, I'll fold down 2/3 of the third row seat and let one kid sit in the third row, where he can't get into fights with his sister. I'm not too impressed. Has anybody out there used this contraption in a useful way?

Thanks!

·
Registered
226 Posts
I'm guessing people want to buy plus one seats because earlier touring models (pre-2009 if I remember right?) came without them. It's hard to retrofit an eighth seat belt into those touring models, but it's easy to fit the plus one seat itself in with no problem.

As for access to the third row when the plus 1 is installed, just tilt the side seats forward and go behind them. Granted, that's not as comfortable as when the plus-1 is out, but it's not hard, especially for kids. It's no harder than getting in the back seat of a typical two-door car.

We use our plus 1 seat for those times when we need to take eight people in the van. It's not as comfortable as the other seats, but it's usable, and it's the only way to get a seating capacity of eight.

I've heard of others using it for a child who was not quite adult sized, but past the booster seat stage, and who wanted a nice view out the front.

We don't use it for long trips. It stays in our garage most of the time, but when we do need it, it's very nice to have.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts