Honda Odyssey Forum banner

What's the latest on Inventory?

10K views 44 replies 27 participants last post by  ironleg 
#1 ·
So I'm back shopping for a Touring or Elite Blk/Truffel.
I realize that the July4th sale with .9% apr and the summer season prob didn't help with the inventory situation.
Called local dealer and they said that can't place order until next year.
What the????????....
I still can't believe that when it's my turn to buy a minivan, this is what's going on.

What are you buyers seeing out there?

#2 ·
I just did a quick inventory search for my area and it looks much worse than it did when I got my van over Memorial Day weekend. I did find two Tourings after checking at least 10 dealers. They are both black but I think we are pretty far from where you live.

#6 ·
I just did a quick inventory search for my area and it looks much worse than it did when I got my van over Memorial Day weekend. I did find two Tourings after checking at least 10 dealers. They are both black but I think we are pretty far from where you live.
Awesome of you to have checked. Much appreciated!

The dealer around the corner from my office has 6 2011 models, 4 of which are Tourings (the Canadian equivalent to the Elite), one EX and one LX. This is more inventory than the dealer had last month. I'm guessing there are no great deals to be had at this dealership (I bought ours elsewhere) and that is why they have inventory. I also noticed the dealer had a 2010 Accord EXL V6 on the lot. There was 0.9% financing and a$750.00 gas card, but no other past model allowance program from Honda. The salesman told me that they don't have allot of inventory and won't be getting much in the next while so 2010's are still in demand even though 2012's will be on the lots in 2 1/2 months.

My advice: If anyone who is thinking of buying a new car can wait 6 months, things will be much better on the inventory/price side of things.
I am thinking the same here. I guess the van will pick me and not the other way around.:DD

#3 ·
Call. Have dealer take a PICTURE and send it to you so you know they actually have it.

I went to my local Prescott Honda (Prescott AZ) and was told they have NO Elite Tourings and were not getting ANY in their incoming allotments. The next day I got an email saying there was NO Touring Elites available in the tri-state area. (assuming CA, AZ, NM). He said all they could do was try to push an order with Honda and hope that the first 2012 that matched our order would get redirected to their dealership.

That was weird - because I called Bell Honda in Phoenix, and Tempe Honda about an hour south of me - and found an 11 Touring Elite with Silver/Gray and bought it the very next day.

Bell Honda never called me back after saying they "believe there are 2 Touring Elites on the lot".

#4 ·
We have been on a list for a touring elite since May. Apparently the target production date is this week- we shall see.

I did learn that as long as you have an odyssey on order as we did- we were eligible for the 0.9% finance because of production issues- even if we did not sign 4th of July.

#5 ·
The dealer around the corner from my office has 6 2011 models, 4 of which are Tourings (the Canadian equivalent to the Elite), one EX and one LX. This is more inventory than the dealer had last month. I'm guessing there are no great deals to be had at this dealership (I bought ours elsewhere) and that is why they have inventory. I also noticed the dealer had a 2010 Accord EXL V6 on the lot. There was 0.9% financing and a$750.00 gas card, but no other past model allowance program from Honda. The salesman told me that they don't have allot of inventory and won't be getting much in the next while so 2010's are still in demand even though 2012's will be on the lots in 2 1/2 months.

My advice: If anyone who is thinking of buying a new car can wait 6 months, things will be much better on the inventory/price side of things.

#7 ·
I guess we were lucky here in Eastern Massachusetts. I bought my new Touring two weeks ago. Most of the dealerships had some stock, and I ended up buying a new Touring with the color I wanted (and 2 miles) under invoice. This particular dealer had 19 Odys on the lot. Others had a lot less, but most had a Touring our two. This one had four. Maybe it is just this area of the country. We're fortunate to have so many dealers in the area.

Love the vehicle and hope you're able to find one. Good luck!

#12 ·
It is easy to ship a car - and not too expensive during the summer - I'll bet you could buy one from a dealer in MA over the phone and have them ship it to you for $500, or incorporate the cost of shipping into your deal.

#11 ·
Take 2 male and female then mate them to multiply. LOL.

#14 ·
I can't believe how rare/hard to get a minivan can be!!!

htn, are you really in the market for a black van in Tampa? I think the a/c might fight a little hard with the sun in our area. (cosmetically, I agree with your choice though)
The van is too practical, gotta have something that's not.:DD

#18 ·
Was getting my '05 EX-L power steering pump replaced (2nd time)...and took a tour of the lot. This is a large dealer (for ABQ)...and they only had about 50 cars on the lot total. Only 4 Odyssey's...and 1 was a Touring.

Pretty thin out there! :dizzy:

biz

#19 ·
Had some free time today so decided to check up on a local dealer. Saw about 4 ExL, but no Touring or Elite. Asked the sales guy on ordering. He said..."Well, since we are short on inventory all Ody are at least $2K above msrp." I literally laughed OUT LOUD on their show room floor. He then retracted by saying he'll check if they will give me a good deal. It's a great product, but not that great.

#21 ·
So was able to come up with a great price?

#22 ·
I talked with 3 local dealers (southern AL/FL panhandle) tonight about a Touring, but none of them have any in stock. The only Touring within 50 miles was sold last night. The dealer in Pensacola, FL said they have 1 Touring & 2 Elites on order, but have no idea when they might receive them. She said once the VINs are issued, it's usually only about 10 days before the dealer receives the vehicles (since we're only a couple of hours from the plant), but she says it's unknown when that might happen (and said they sometimes get whatever Honda sends them, which may or may not be what they have requested). She said they would be willing to take a $500 deposit to secure one of the vans they expect to receive, as they have done already for another customer wanting a Pilot. I asked what their pricing is like, and she said for the EX & LX models, they're getting about $2K below MSRP (which you can find a few of them at the dealers, but not many), but she said about the best they could do was $500 off MSRP on the Tourings. Just by an internet search, there are only a couple within a 200 mile radius of us, and about 20 if we expand the search to 500 miles. We just started looking, hoping to score a deal on a 2011 since 2012s will be out soon, but quickly discovered there will be no deals. I asked when to expect the 2012s and was told it would be a long while. Fortunately, we don't need to buy now, so looks like we may just wait a while until inventory increases some.

#27 ·
Yikes, just for the heck of it I checked out the online inventory of my dealer (usually updated daily), and they only have 6 Odysseys. They normally have 10-15 so, while completely random, I guess the inventory is not as exuberant as earlier this year. They always have at least one Touring/Touring Elite though.

• 2011 Honda Odyssey EX
  • 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L
  • 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/Nav
  • 2011 Honda Odyssey EX-L w/RES
  • 2011 Honda Odyssey Touring Elite

This is in PA

#28 · (Edited)
BigBoat i can almost bet that you are in some big urban center in Eastern PA.

Here in SE Ohio most dealers have no Odyssey stock. A 150 mile proximity search on cars.com shows one Elite in stock out of 75 Odysseys the majority of which are located around Cleveland and PIttsburgh.

#29 · (Edited)
we finally got our EXL in from the factory. the only dealer that had the color and trim we wanted had this vehicle in their order system since May 2nd. It took the this long to get it in. Just came in last week (7-23) so the factory is way behind, but they are slowly trickling in. I see a lot more vans on the road and plenty on trucks going somewhere on I-85 here. Not just the Odysseys are low, all civics, accords, crv's are low.

The comment about getting the pic from the dealer is so true. Some of the dealer i spoke with would tell you anything to get the sale/deposit. If they don't have it on the lot tell them to support any inventory claims with the "On Order Detail" report. That lists all the cars they are scheduled to get in, and will list the expected production date or dealer transfer. You might have to get the managers to do this since the sale folks always "hear some are coming in" This report confirms it.

#31 ·
I agree, I think it may be breaking open. I got a call from a local dealer last night that they received a Touring in on the truck yesterday (we're going to go have a look at it tomorrow since we haven't actually touched/driven one). That dealership said they should receive several more in 3-4 weeks, and even more after that. Another dealership is also calling me, wanting me to put a deposit on one getting ready to go into production any day. So there looks like there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

#32 ·
We test drove an EX-L last week but the sales manager said that for the moment, no vans are being built with Navi due to supplier problems caused by the tsunami. Since we all know that sales people always tell the truth:), that puts us out of the market until the fall when things will presumably get back to normal.

#36 ·
I am going to buy a EX-L w/Nav, I have contacted the dealers close to me. They have them on order and will receive the vehicles within the next 2 to 4 weeks. All want me to enter a contract to lock in the 1.9% and to be sure I get the vehicle I want.

I was wander if any know if they are going to go back to the .09% 60 mo financing that was offer earlier if I wait.

Any ideas if I should lock in the 1.9 or wait as I want the lowest interest I can get.

This will be my first Odyssey, but not the first Honda.

#40 ·
I wouldnt bother waiting on 0.9. As supply increases again in the fall there is little incentive for Honda to offer that unless demand dries up. At the moment this seems to be a hot selling product and the .9 was to get as many to hold on and not purchase a competing product while supply was low.

JD

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.