Honda Odyssey Forum banner

81 - 100 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
I don't buy anything German. Never been reliable so I stayed clear of the 9spd. I've been burned too many times by the German quality bug, planned obsolescence with plastic pieces made to last just over 5 years.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Bori9809, I'm sure the Sienna would be a great van too. Keep in mind, it is likely the last of its generation and has a lot less electronics than the 5th generation Odyssey. It also has all the bugs worked out. The only negative I've heard is, the design is dated. Other than that...

It makes me wonder if Toyota is going to release a new generation in 2020 and avoid the moronic design and reliability issues found in the Odyssey. They will have had a few years to observe all the boondoggles on the Odyssey and the subsequent time to fix them.

·
Registered
8,454 Posts
The only negative I've heard is, the design is dated.
Yeah, true that.

But IMHO design is a biggie. The Sienna looks bland from the outside, looks utilitarian on the inside, lacks technology, and handles like a pig (except the SE).

It inspires me not, but everyone has different criteria for choosing a car. :)

Dave

·
Registered
46 Posts
The Sienna’s platform dates from 2003. It’s crash test results are materially below the Odyssey and Pacifica. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/...mmary/minivans I took it off my list because I am not willing to trade any degree of safety for an incremental improvement in reliability.

Actually, I took it off my list because it is too ugly to ever consider owning. Toyota’s latest look has all their cars wearing big brushy mustaches, like they are in disguise or something. I find it bizarre...

·
Registered
136 Posts
The Sienna’s platform dates from 2003. It’s crash test results are materially below the Odyssey and Pacifica. https://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/v/...mmary/minivans I took it off my list because I am not willing to trade any degree of safety for an incremental improvement in reliability.

Actually, I took it off my list because it is too ugly to ever consider owning. Toyota’s latest look has all their cars wearing big brushy mustaches, like they are in disguise or something. I find it bizarre...
Ok. Sienna out from my list too. SE Premium model w/Sport suspension that I wanted to check is not available in tri-state area (TX). Can only be 'specially' ordered :)

19 Ody EXL w/NAV takes the first place. Secretly, I hoped to move away from Hondas :)

·
Registered
179 Posts
Ok. Sienna out from my list too. SE Premium model w/Sport suspension that I wanted to check is not available in tri-state area (TX). Can only be 'specially' ordered :)

19 Ody EXL w/NAV takes the first place. Secretly, I hoped to move away from Hondas :)
I have same one (18 EXL NAV) and believe me 19 is the same.
every day my driving with ruff and jerks transmission providing me enough reason to hate Honda.
However Sienna is out from my list due to its older design and driving statics.
I suggest get 10 speed and spend 4000 more..

You can get 10 speed out the door with all taxes fees for 43k if you do good bargaining to right dealer.
& Yeah.... 2020 is only few months away!

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
2020 is only few months away
I really wonder if the 2020 release will make a big difference in Honda quality. So far with the 2018 and 2019 Odyssey releases, they have a piss poor track record. They would need to do a boat load of back pedaling to get the 2020s right. Add to that, they would still be under warranty obligations to the 2018 and 2019 customers - not an inexpensive fix!

I'd still look at Pacifica, and then the Odyssey 10-speed. Even then, with the Odyssey 10-speed you may be getting a superior transmission but also the same old issues: electronic, water leaks, unsolvable alignments, inadequate electrical supply, piss poor design features, and crappy Alabama build quality.

EDIT I just had a thought. Is it possible that Honda just doesn't give a damn about all our problems because the Odyssey represents such a small portion of their gross sales? It's a known fact that that the SUV market is the biggest player and will likely remain that way for a long time.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hodna,

Good observation about the shrinking or small market for the minivans compared to SUVs, trucks, etc. But one would think Honda might consider the new Odyssey's low ratings on Honda's overall brand/marque reputation. Or maybe not?

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I think you're right, Gen13Gent. Honda is not in the business of making "cars." They are in the business of making "money." The outlay for the R&D on any vehicle is huge. They are committed to the 5th generation, so it has to pay. If it becomes too much of an anchor, they'll go the way of the other automakers and drop the line. Until then, they're stuck with a cancerous model.

I also agree that it can have a negative impact on the sale of other Honda vehicles. Pretty well everyone knows that companies re-purpose a lot of their technology. If the "ABC device" doesn't work in the Odyssey, then it sure won't work in the Accord or Civic. It's funny how Honda had nightmares trying to get the 9-speed to work in the Pilot, and then they turn around and use it in the Odyssey. Perhaps they thought they had the problem fixed. Here's hoping they take our complaints seriously!

·
Registered
6 Posts
I think it's garbage. Shifting at 24 mph is rough as is 33 mph. No matter how I drive the car (accelerate more quickly or taking it easy, in Drive or sport mode). At higher speeds it's great but 24 and 33 mph suck.

·
Registered
6 Posts
YES!!! It's like the gas peddle is not even functional! And then it kicks in...sucks. Any advice on what this might be?
Hello Hodna, i experienced same yersterday... i took a turn at good speed as no one was there, and all of sudden no life in engine or transmission ( engine rpm was still around 1800 mark). After few seconds transmission downshifted and revs upto 3000.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Am I correct in my assumption that the transmission software is adjusted according to your diving habits? If this is correct, then when we first took delivery, we may have used a heavier foot for two reasons: 1) Excitement over our new purchase, 2) The annoying ECON mode was a pain in the ass and we floored it to overcome the technology.

If the transmission software “learns” from our driving habits, then it makes sense that the data input is slurred and unreliable! Our habits change with the seasons – especially those of us who fight with snowy and icy roads all winter. If my analysis is correct, then there must be a way to reset the software back to the factory default and let us try again. The whole concept is stupid if you ask me. The way a transmission behaves should be 100 percent determined by the car’s physics – not human driving habits. Does anyone know if my analysis is correct?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I'm experiencing hard shifting in my new '19 Odyssey. Did you learn anything more about the transmission "learning" your driving patterns or if it can be reset?

·
Registered
5 Posts
24 mph shift jerk

I'm also experiencing jerking at 24 mph. Is there a fix for this or something we'll just have to get used to?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Have you found any remedy for this? 24 mph also shifts rough for me.

I think it's garbage. Shifting at 24 mph is rough as is 33 mph. No matter how I drive the car (accelerate more quickly or taking it easy, in Drive or sport mode). At higher speeds it's great but 24 and 33 mph suck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Were you able to resolve your issue? Facing a similar one in my new '19 Odyssey.

Bought a 2019 Odyssey LX and have about 1800 miles on it. About a week ago, we started to also experience a lag and hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. Sometimes 3rd to 4th too.
I wish I would have stumbled on this thread a month sooner to avoid the dark road ahead of us and multiple trips to the dealership to get this fixed.
At what point can I ask for an exchange for a different vehicle? Or buy back?

I've never had to file lemon law before. Hopefully it won't get to that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Our 2018 EX-L started shifting hard at 25 MPH. It doesn't do it every time and only started in the last month or two. We bought it in July 2018 and it has 16K miles. And by shifting hard, I mean it jerks forward, not just a little bump. Any ideas? I want to check here first and see what others have found and then go to the dealer.

·
Registered
179 Posts
dEALER LIES

taking it to the dealer tomorrow where we bought it to have it checked out, plus do the door recall
dealer will tell you, this is normal for Honda.
I would say yes normal for Honda but for faulty ones. Not all of them. this is my 3rd honda and out of 3 i got 2 faulty ones. Hard shift issue / Jerking....

I started hating my 18 Oddy for this reason.

81 - 100 of 147 Posts