Honda Odyssey Forum banner

101 - 120 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
dealer will tell you, this is normal for Honda.
I would say yes normal for Honda but for faulty ones. Not all of them. this is my 3rd honda and out of 3 i got 2 faulty ones. Hard shift issue / Jerking....

I started hating my 18 Oddy for this reason.
Dealer said they could find no issue and did not experience any hard shifting while they test drove it. what a surprise! this was after they said there were no loaner cars available. On the phone they assured me there would be a loaner car. People at car dealerships see no difference between lying and telling the truth, they were completely confused when I tried to explain that they said there would be a loaner car and there wasn't one when my wife arrived. They just kept telling me that they get 80 cars a day in for service and cannot guarantee a car is available and they did the best they could. But you said there would be a loaner. Then back to the same story. This went in circles for (not exaggerating) 15 minutes!! Honda has slipped, I have had Hondas only since '98 but they aren't the same now.

·
Registered
12 Posts
2018 LX, no issues with my transmission. The only thing I noticed if ECO is active, engine loss a lot power, very sluggish. 7K miles and has been working good. Took the Ody to the North GA mountains last weekend and worked pretty good. Sorry to hear so many issues with the transmission.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Were you able to resolve your issue? Facing a similar one in my new '19 Odyssey.
So, I may be able to instill some hope here.
I've taken the car to the dealership 3 times so far. And each time, I was not able to get the Odyssey to do it's cool trick at about 24-25 mph (the delay with hard shifting). However, one of the techs dis some research and found some info on the tech forums about it. It's becoming more known with Honda it seems.
The word on the forums was that "re-teaching" the computer on the shifting logic may prove useful. So, they did that on our Odyssey and so far, no issues anymore with the shifting. Going great now for about 2 weeks plus. So that's good.
Now, we just need to figure out the atrocious gas consumption. Rocking on average about 15 mpg. Ugh.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I still can't get my head around the reason a car needs to learn how to shift, based on the weight and attitude of my right foot. I would have thought shifting was a function of velocity, weight, inertia, slippage...am I not the least reliable variable? Maybe I've just had to many birthdays and worked on too many cars using just a slot headed screwdriver, like in the good old days :(.

·
Registered
18 Posts
2018 LX, no issues with my transmission. The only thing I noticed if ECO is active, engine loss a lot power, very sluggish. 7K miles and has been working good. Took the Ody to the North GA mountains last weekend and worked pretty good. Sorry to hear so many issues with the transmission.
yes, using ECO means extremely slow response from a dead stop, a little better on the highway. we had no issues at 7K either, wait until around 15K ;)

·
Registered
3 Posts
Argh. Didn't think I'd be back here so soon. But our Odyssey has started to hard shift again around 24 mph. Apparently, "relearning" shifting is not the fix. Maybe it's a software issue, and the learning code is bugged. Having the computer reset seemed to have an affect, but it did not resolve the issue.
Back to the dealership. This is ridiculous.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My 2018 EX-L NAV/RES is 1 year and 1 month old and I already passed 36K miles. The ZF transmission for the most part is fine especially on highway speeds. However, say I am stuck in slow moving traffic and going around 25mph, it will shift with a harsh jerk and a loud thud. I did let the dealer know and they changed my tranny fluid and performed a software update. I did notice a difference where it shifts much smoother but the harsh jerk and thud is still noticeable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Took the van to a different dealer and they admitted there was a problem with occasional hard shifting at 25 mph (they described it like someone bumped into you which is what it feels like). At least they were honest and said there wasn't a fix currently. Wishing I would have tried a 2018 Sienna even though it was 'older' in terms of style, it was proven and probably had the bugs worked out. A Chrysler Town and Country may have been better as those haven't changed in a long time

·
Registered
221 Posts
Took the van to a different dealer and they admitted there was a problem with occasional hard shifting at 25 mph (they described it like someone bumped into you which is what it feels like). At least they were honest and said there wasn't a fix currently. Wishing I would have tried a 2018 Sienna even though it was 'older' in terms of style, it was proven and probably had the bugs worked out. A Chrysler Town and Country may have been better as those haven't changed in a long time
Mine does the same. Not all the time, but when accelerating slowly sometimes around 25mph I hear the thud. It's fine after that, but it is annoying.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Word of Warning if you own a 2018 or earlier Odyssey with the nine-speed transmission. Be prepared to spend a lot of time at the dealership! I doubt there are too many 2018 / 2019 Odyssey owners out there with 75,000 miles on their car, but get ready for trouble! I have a 2018 Honda Odyssey EX with a nine-speed transmission that failed at 75,417 miles. And I am fairly certain that this will become a widespread issue.

The 2019 loaner they gave me for a week made the same noise that mine did, as well as the replacement transmission. My van only had 33.922 miles on it when I took it in the first time, complaining of the issue.
It's difficult to pick up on since it's such a nice, quiet car.. but it's like having a slightly-worn U-joint on a rear-wheel drive car. It sounds and feels like a "clunk" in the drive-train occasionally when you get off the gas, and then re-accelerate.

After the third trip to the dealer, complaining about the issue, they finally acknowledged the problem. But then they were told by Honda Techline that the noise was "Normal". Yeah well, "Normal" caused the trans to fail just a few months after the fact!

I ended up having to pay $1290 of the $6200, thanks to Honda Care ( I guess), even though I had reported the problem several times. All services were performed to schedule as well. It's not over....

·
Registered
884 Posts
An extract from Consumer Reports road test:

Most Odysseys come with a nine-speed automatic transmission, but it isn't very smooth. There's a muted jolt when shifting and there's a bit of delay when you ask for a little more oomph. The top Touring and Elite trims get a 10-speed automatic that is much slicker, with quick, smooth shifts. We measured 22 mpg overall on regular gasoline -- a commendable showing.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Mine is fine, however it doesn't like rolling stops. It will act like it wants to shift but just can't get there yet. I've used paddle shifters to bump it up, but sometimes the rpm is still too low.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum. We have a 2018 Odyssey EX with the 9 Speed. The issues we had are the sliding passenger door would‘t close shut and it was pretty much fixed via recall and continuing issue is the transmission lack of power and poor shifting. We’ve noticed a jerk similar to colleges described here and while stepping on the gas lightly, noticed a significant delay (1-2) seconds before power delivery. We’ve bought the vehicle new and the jerk probably started around 15,000 miles or so but, it wasn’t bad then. Took it to the dealer around 31,000 for the door recall and mentioned the poor shifting while accelerating light to medium throttle. Technician was able to replicate and did a battery reset and a tps relearn. Received the vehicle and it drove normal until a week after. Took it in 34,000 miles and technician couldn't replicate the issue. He test drove the vehicle saying it shifts “normal”. He decided to take us along other odyssey’s both the 10 speed and 9 speed. He finally realized I was right that the vehicle is something wrong but, couldn’t pinpoint exactly what. Now we’re waiting for the techs day off so he can submit some info to HQ.

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are currently looking to purchase either a Honda or Toyota minivan. We had a Honda before and loved it but we are shying away from the Hondas due to what we are hearing regarding the transmissions. Is it just the 9 speed transmissions with the issues or are there issues with the 6 speeds as well? We are leaning toward the Toyota Sienna unless we find some more info on the Hondas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
We are currently looking to purchase either a Honda or Toyota minivan. We had a Honda before and loved it but we are shying away from the Hondas due to what we are hearing regarding the transmissions. Is it just the 9 speed transmissions with the issues or are there issues with the 6 speeds as well? We are leaning toward the Toyota Sienna unless we find some more info on the Hondas. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Welcome to Odyclub!

On a 2020 Odyssey, your only transmission choice is a Honda developed 10-speed which is getting rave reviews. It’s a very good piece of machinery.

The 9-speed was sourced from ZF and was only available on lower trim 2018 and 2019 models. A 6-speed transmission was last available on the previous generation Odyssey, from 2011 to 2017. It is also very good but the newest van that has one is 2 years old.

What years are you looking at?

·
Registered
2 Posts
We are currently looking at 2016, 17 and 18 Odysseys and primarily 2018 Siena. I know you usually can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota but when I came across the Odyssey transmission issues I had to do some research. My wife loves the interior and layout of the Odysseys so that is where we are leaning.

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
We are currently looking at 2016, 17 and 18 Odysseys and primarily 2018 Siena. I know you usually can't go wrong with a Honda or Toyota but when I came across the Odyssey transmission issues I had to do some research. My wife loves the interior and layout of the Odysseys so that is where we are leaning.
If I can offer you a nickel's worth of free advice, go for a 2016 or 2017 Odyssey. The most common issues they have (like transmission performance) are easily handled and well understood by a good number of people here at Odyclub. We'll help you as much as we can. They're the last two years of their generation and Honda pretty much had everything well sorted out.

The 2018 Odyssey is the first year of a new design and the rollout didn't go all that well. I'd be wary, even now.

101 - 120 of 147 Posts