Honda Odyssey Forum banner

121 - 140 of 147 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
I have a steep drive way and noticed that even when I manually shift to 1st gear, it seems to downshift again to climb up at slow speed (like 1-2 mph). Maybe you are feeling the same thing? I wish the display would also indicate the gear its in instead of just D.
I have a problem with my 2018 odyssey. The transmission seems sluggish and makes noises. It seems to take forever to pick up in low gears and when I put it in reverse I hear a click. Honda America says they have no recalls but someone I know says they have a SB service bulletin pertaining to transmission issues. I am doing my transmission drain and fill up at Bridgestone because Honda is charging 200 more. I have always been a Honda Guy but I am becoming skeptical about how they made this 2018 Honda Odyssey it has given me nothing but problems from the sliding door to the other day all Warning signs coming on. The transmission issue has been on going and Honda has claimed this is how the 9 speed transmission is supposed to function.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
The transmission issue has been on going and Honda has claimed this is how the 9-speed transmission is supposed to function.
If this is true, I wonder why Honda abandoned the 9-speed in all the 2020 trim levels?

·
Registered
3 Posts
The 9speed is not refined at all, I would consider it garbage (I bought an EX-L with one so, yes, I can say that). It's depressing to drive a brand new car with a transmission that feels worse than your average 10-year old dump.

Unfortunately, when test driving the vehicle you're driving around with a sales guy in the back seat talking about features. You're stunned with all the technology and your brain is more focused on testing what this or that shiny button does instead of paying attention to so many other factors.

After buying the car and letting all things set in, you start noticing that the transmission jerks when shifting gears up or down. It gets confused many times so it has to change gears again which causes the car to jerk yet again. You then start reading that it has presented so many problems in the past and doubt start setting in.... Your 4, 5, 6, 7 hundred dollar car payment starts to hurt a little more when you realize you just got a piece of junk.

My previous vehicle was a Kia Sorrento SXL (which was flawless by the way, drove like a 70k SUV). The dealer had this "24hr test drive" where they gave me a sorrento to try for a whole day/night. I wish more dealers did this. I would have probably detected the garbage the 9-speed is before committing to it.

So, if you're reading this and you already bought it: sorry, we're all on the same boat now.
if you're reading this and you haven't bought it: Skip it. Seriously, save more money to get the 10-speed or go elsewhere (Kia/Toyota). That is my humble opinion. (Note: the Chrysler pacifica uses the SAME transmission built by the SAME manufacturer, so you're not safe there either)

Good luck everyone!
Anyway owners can get together and sue Honda for safety issues due to underperforming transmission. My odyssey has all these issues and we have complained since last year. They recommend a flush but they want to charge 400 dollars. All the warning lights came on the other day and I reset the battery. I am waiting for it to happen again so I can drop it off to the dealer. I can’t believe after being a Honda fanatic for 30 years I have to give up on the brand. We had a 2012 cry no problems , 2015 Honda Pilot no issues. Now with 40 thousand miles we have a brand new van that performs like shot and has had door issues and now transmission issues . Honda refuses to own up to the fact that the 9 speed has so many issues!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Out of 7+ Honda’s I’ve owned over the years this was the most disappointing. Just couldn’t believe some of the things that made it to prime time. Nobody in Japan would have approved it.
You can try another dealer but if you are out of warranty not sure what else you can do.

·
Registered
173 Posts
A robust well backed class action lawsuit is all you can do if you didn’t buy the HondaCare extended warranty.

·
Registered
3 Posts
If this is true, I wonder why Honda abandoned the 9-speed in all the 2020 trim levels?
Is there anyway we can all get together and file a class action lawsuit? My wife works for the legal team at her job and all of her lawyer co workers heard all our pro tans are eager to assist. Please let’s get together and have Honda America own up to the fact they have produced a Van with a transmission that can prove deadly or cause serious bodily harm.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I am at 32k on our 2019 EXL. Changed the stupid overpriced German 3.1 fluid (drain-and-fill) at 15k. Plan to repeat at 45k and every 30k thereafter. No real issues yet. At what approx. mileage should we expect to start having problems?

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ZF 9speed has been on the market for over 6years. Many OEMs are using it in a variety of models. It had quite bad recalls in the first few years after release. There has to be design change and updates to overcome these issues. Jerky driving experience compared to the 10speed is likely due to TCU programming and 2dog clutches. I guess some of people complaints may also because of different driving habits and personal feeling. I also read lots of complaints in the 10speed equipped in 2020Accord. Only personal opinion, I'd rather go with a 6 year developed 9speed tranny instead of betting on a high uncertain 10speed.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I am at 32k on our 2019 EXL. Changed the stupid overpriced German 3.1 fluid (drain-and-fill) at 15k. Plan to repeat at 45k and every 30k thereafter. No real issues yet. At what approx. mileage should we expect to start having problems?
Did you do the drain and fill or did you have the dealer do it? I know there is a specific procedure that is supposed to be followed including checking the fluid within a certain temp range when refilling. I haven't decided yet if I will have the dealer do my first drain and fill, or if I will use some of the ideas others have used to change it out.

Just let everything cool down overnight including having the new fluid in the same area to adjust to the same temp. Then measure how much came out and put the exact amount back in. I understand that if the level wasn't correct to begin with it could be over or under filled, but as long as the transmission is working properly before I do it, I'm not too concerned about it.

I am thinking of doing it around 15000-20000 miles for the first time even though around 60000 miles is when the code "3" supposedly comes up.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Did you do the drain and fill or did you have the dealer do it? I know there is a specific procedure that is supposed to be followed including checking the fluid within a certain temp range when refilling. I haven't decided yet if I will have the dealer do my first drain and fill, or if I will use some of the ideas others have used to change it out.

Just let everything cool down overnight including having the new fluid in the same area to adjust to the same temp. Then measure how much came out and put the exact amount back in. I understand that if the level wasn't correct to begin with it could be over or under filled, but as long as the transmission is working properly before I do it, I'm not too concerned about it.

I am thinking of doing it around 15000-20000 miles for the first time even though around 60000 miles is when the code "3" supposedly comes up.
I described my process in another thread or earlier in this thread, can't recall which. You really need to see my photos of the old fluid at 15k (re-posted below). Old fluid on left, new (and shaken) fluid is on right.

But the abridged version is: followed the same process my dealer told me they do. Drain it out (after breaking loose top plug to vent), replace drain plug (they re-use but the manual says replace because zee Germans coated it with magical sealant). Then look at capacity for drain-n-fill (3.5 quarts), so refill with exactly 3.5 quarts of new 3.1 fluid, "shaking well" as it says on the label (especially the 1/2 quart), using the plug on top. Re-use plug since it's only a splash seal anyway. Never touched the side plug nor took temperature measurements, because the factory/heavily German-influenced procedure is way overly fussy and anal retentive. Works like a charm at 33k, will do this all again at 45k.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Bought a 2019 Odyssey LX and have about 1800 miles on it. About a week ago, we started to also experience a lag and hard shift between 2nd and 3rd gear. Sometimes 3rd to 4th too.
I wish I would have stumbled on this thread a month sooner to avoid the dark road ahead of us and multiple trips to the dealership to get this fixed.
At what point can I ask for an exchange for a different vehicle? Or buy back?

I've never had to file lemon law before. Hopefully it won't get to that.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6013 using Tapatalk
I have a 2018 EX-L which I purchased in Oct 2017. I started noticing this^ around 40k miles. I've taken it to independent mechanics and they say no codes are showing. I'm really not keen on taking this to the dealership when everyone else has gotten the "it's normal" excuse. I may look into a drain and fill of the transmission fluid to see if this helps.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Jesterxfan, isn't there a 9-speed software recall on your van? I would check that first. A fluid change is around $400 Canadian or about $15 U.S. (LOL) :)!

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
I had mine done a week ago and all seems all right for now. I must point out that I've only driven it for a few miles. Since parking the car, I've been housebound performing numerous "honey-do" jobs :).

·
Registered
5 Posts
I will add that at ~29k miles, the dealer replaced all the fuel injectors (under warranty) after I brought it in based on 1) about 8 difference codes on the dash, 2) poor acceleration / lag from a stop. Obviously there were codes but I did not ask which one(s) were showing. I'm no mechanical expert by any means but this poor acceleration / lag and transmission issue combined with a decrease in MPG all seems to be related somehow.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, I’m new to this forum. We have a 2018 Odyssey EX with the 9 Speed. The issues we had are the sliding passenger door would‘t close shut and it was pretty much fixed via recall and continuing issue is the transmission lack of power and poor shifting. We’ve noticed a jerk similar to colleges described here and while stepping on the gas lightly, noticed a significant delay (1-2) seconds before power delivery. We’ve bought the vehicle new and the jerk probably started around 15,000 miles or so but, it wasn’t bad then. Took it to the dealer around 31,000 for the door recall and mentioned the poor shifting while accelerating light to medium throttle. Technician was able to replicate and did a battery reset and a tps relearn. Received the vehicle and it drove normal until a week after. Took it in 34,000 miles and technician couldn't replicate the issue. He test drove the vehicle saying it shifts “normal”. He decided to take us along other odyssey’s both the 10 speed and 9 speed. He finally realized I was right that the vehicle is something wrong but, couldn’t pinpoint exactly what. Now we’re waiting for the techs day off so he can submit some info to HQ.
Update: The vehicle has 40k miles now. What the technician did is he reset the tps relearn and cleaned the throttle body. It worked fine and now only once in a while the harsh shifts occur. I wouldn’t say the problem is fully resolved but, idk if that’s the nature of the 9sp tranny. Moral of the story, don’t buy the 9 speed get the 10 speed

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Please help us dumb people who refuse to waste away our lives texting all day. What the hell does "idk" mean??? We're starting to see more of these abbreviations on forums. Very frustrating to those who don't speak the language. If I want more frustration in my life, I'll buy another Honda!! Speak, (or shall I say write) English, please. I mean that in the most courteous way of course :).

121 - 140 of 147 Posts