Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Dealers and car salespeople are known for coming up with some "very
creative" advice. What are some of the more interesting things they told you?

I'll start:
  • "If the roads are slick, just press the Traction Control Button. You can be going any speed, it will help. It's as good as four-wheel drive."
  • "You don't need to do anything special during the break-in period, only keep it under 85 mph."
  • "Yes, I know that you were next in line for a new Mesa Beige LX, but that one that just came in has $3,000 in extras from the factory." None of the extras were in fact installed at the factory, they were all dealer-added options.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
16 Posts
It's hard to believe anyone, much less a dealer, could be so ignorant about the TCS. He'd just as well tell someone that if they ever start to slide in the snow to hit the cruise control and it will take over and bail you out.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll second the TCS thing.

My salesperson told me that if I wanted TCS active, I needed to press the button so that the light would be on in the dash. Oh, and I should turn it "off" if I'm going over 40mph.

Backwards AND stupid.

------------------
2002 Mesa Beige EX-L-RES w/ misaligned, hard to close driver door

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Riley33:
It's hard to believe anyone, much less a dealer, could be so ignorant about the TCS. He'd just as well tell someone that if they ever start to slide in the snow to hit the cruise control and it will take over and bail you out. </font>
Hard to believe, but true. I wish I could remember all the things I've heard salesreps say.

I hope my salesrep is not reading this, she might get think that the cruise control idea is a good one

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
105 Posts
I later learned that this applies to the SIDE airbags only. . .the dealer said the passengers seat detects a weight smaller than 40lbs. on something leaning against the door. I bought it (they story and the Odyssey) but the owners manual says NOTHING about weight or the FRONT airbag shutting off.

------------------
1996 Odyssey 120,000 miles
2002EX Odyssey w/towing package
http://www.homestead.com/weaverhouse/index.html

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sweaver:
I later learned that this applies to the SIDE airbags only. . .the dealer said the passengers seat detects a weight smaller than 40lbs. on something leaning against the door. I bought it (they story and the Odyssey) but the owners manual says NOTHING about weight or the FRONT airbag shutting off.

</font>
Stan,

Enjoyed your website, very nice pictures and author bio.

Looking at the online statistics for your site, I'm guessing that you have a number of young-ish friends who work in high tech. Am I right?

The reason - the predominance of XP as visitor operating system and also because 62% use monitor resolutions higher than 800x600. Old fogeys like me can't can get away with that high res stuff

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
125 Posts
How about your Ody will not come in for two months past your promised date because you choose EP! "They are not making that color for the next two months!"

So far NO ONE has been able to verify what the dealer has told me. They probably sold the van out from underneigh me.

·
Registered
21 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Bruno1453:
How about your Ody will not come in for two months past your promised date because you choose EP! "They are not making that color for the next two months!"</font>
That's really odd. We started looking in mid-November and one dealership let us test drive an unsold 02 EP-EX. Then another dealer tried to get us to take an unsold EP-EXL even though we definitely wanted the factory RES (we were wavering on color however). Maybe this was a fluke because it was rare to find more than a couple of vans on any lot other than the really big dealers. Sorry to tell a depressing tale, but those are the facts. Hope yours arrives early!

------------------
'02 MB EX-L w/RES ordered 11/17, due Jan ??
'97 Accord LX (hubby's)
'93 Accord 10th Anniv (mine-wanna buy it? 82K miles)
'83 Accord DX (RIP)
'66 Mustang w/deluxe seats (owned'77-83)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Dealer also told me that if I pressed the TCS button it would make sure it always stayed on--but it wasn't necessary because TCS was always on anyway (What!?). Partially right but also totally wrong--it was the first thing I checked in the manual when I got home.

------------------
2002 LX

·
Registered
58 Posts
Ya, we got the line about TCS to (it's on when the light is...). What was most amusing though about our Odyssey shopping experience is what happened at the Toyota dealer. The poor guy was absolutely dumbfounded about the Sienna, and I was of the impression this person had been there for quite a while. I remember the whole thing being very non-productive, but the highlights were:

Q: Where are the restraint hooks for child seats?
A: The what? (never did find out and as near as we could tell it only had one...let me guess, no families buy Toyata Minis?)

Q: Can you show us how easy it is to take the seats out?
A: Uggh, um, lets see (followed by 2-3 minutes of reading directions on the seat backs and allot of trial and error).

Q: Where is the spare tire? Is it full size?
A: I think it's in the back. Let's look that one up in the manual.

·
Registered
205 Posts
The ignorance of salespeople never ceases to amaze me. You'd think that 'Car Salesmanship 101' would include:

1) Know the cars you are selling inside and out. what are the specifications? How do the controls operate? How do they compare with competitors?

2) Know the manufacturer of the cars you are attempting to sell. How are they organized? What is their product strategy? What models are they looking to introduce in the next two years? What is their warranty like? How many dealers do they have? Where are their vehicles manufactured?

It can't amount to more than a day's worth of study and a day's worth of tinkering with the cars to learn that. Perhaps the salespeople could spend their time actually learning about these vehicles instead of hanging about in the dealership lots like vultures, chatting and drinking coffee...!

------------------
Richard
2002 Granite Green EX-L
Splash Guards, Cargo Tray, Weathertech Mats

·
Registered
61 Posts
While I was checking out dealers before placing the order for my '02, met a salesman at a dealershiop that added everyting but the kitchen sink to their new cars before delivery, but this guy didn't know that, or anything about the Ody. Said he just joined Honda from Chrysler. About two months later, after taking delivery from a different dealer, he called to tell me that they an Ody available for immediate delivery. When I told him That I had mine, he asked if it was the one with the V8! Told him I got the V13.

·
Registered
43 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by sa9651:
Said he just joined Honda from Chrysler. </font>
Shows the knowledge of Chysler salesmen on their competition's products too.

By the way, who was this dealer?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was going to buy from a dealer here in Nashville and even gave the salesman a $500 deposit after spending about 2 hours with my wife and child at the dealership talking to him (btw, we were the *only* people in the dealership since it was around closing time).

I called back 3 times in the course of 2 weeks to check on the status and each time I had to reintroduce myself to the guy.

...the last phone call was to tell him to tear up the check because I would not be buying from him.

·
Registered
67 Posts
A dealer told me that they receive 35 Ody in January. Out of 35, 20 are EXL-RES since everyone wants this model. As you can imagine, I told him that I am looking for EXL-RES.

BTW, I've just come back from a trip to Boston. I saw an advertisement of a Honda dealer in Boston's local paper claiming that they have New England's largest supply and have 225 Ody available (in stock or on the way). Sounds nice ... if it's true.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Is my face RED
It's a shame that many of us(professionals) don't know the product we sell. I've been selling hondas for the majority of the time since 1993. I am known for my product knowledge at my dealership, second only to a friend of mine that I share information with. But I don't know everything. (and I get ribbed when I don't) So I continue my education (one reason I'm here). Unfortunately many of my counterparts don't want to admit they don't know everything, so they make it up.
instead of finding out the answer.

As far as the Traction Control
It is on all the time, It detects if there is wheel slippage and applies the brake through your antilock brake system to slow the rotation down enough to get traction. The tcs button is to turn off the system. The <font color=orange><font size=-5>TCS </font color=pink></font size=-5>light will remain on to warn you, it, has been turned off. This is not in the source books, but in the owners manual. If your salesperson only read their sourcebook, they probably don't know how it works.

Second, as far as vans not coming in when promised at msrp. I see this happen with many customers each day. A dealership agrees to sell an odyssey for msrp. The customer puts a LARGE deposit on it but it never comes in. This "tactic" is called taking you out of the market. It is devious and unethical. While waiting endlessly for your van to come in, the salesperson will approach you with: "We have an Odyssey for immediate delivery but has 2-5 thousand dollars worth of accessories installed, but you can get it now. Truth is, they are trying to get you to pay more. You've already "bought" their dealership(you agreed to purchase the van there). They just want more for the van. Now, the customer is mad and even if they go to a new dealership and the new salesperson/dealer does everything as promised, the customer still has that bad taste in their mouth and it hurts honda's name.

I've had many customers from around the northwest to come to me to purchase an odyssey because they were duped by another dealership. Truth is: Yes there has been times when an Odyssey has gone for either msrp or even below. Reality is, Very few times. (just check this forum, probably less than 1 out of every hundred) There is more of a demand for the vehicle than a supply. We price our Odysseys here at Beaverton Honda for $1495 over msrp, this includes the northwest protection package, which includes paint protection, interior protection and undercoating. Yes, the 1495 is additional profit. Our owner wanted to at least give the customer something for their money, which is a lot more than I can say for many dealers out there. Usually somewhere between The $1495 over and MSRP we will reach an agreement. The price is not set in stone and the manager makes a decision at the time depending on color, availability, allocation and todays market.

Another reason I'm here is to better understand how my customers feel. <font color=blue><font size=-5>I would love to hear from anybody about what made your "purchasing experience" or "NON-purchasing experience", "good" or "bad".</font color=blue></font size=-5> I'm looking to improve my relationship with my customers so I have more repeat customers. I'm trying to achieve a WIN/WIN situation.
If you have any questions, I'll try my best to find the answers. If you would like to contact me please feel free to do so.
<font color=blue><font size=-5>Thank you
Ken Nix (503)643-5577
Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Honda

ps. If my writing looks a little strange it is because I have a strong texas accent that flows over to my brain.

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Maugham:
Dealers and car salespeople are known for coming up with some "very
creative" advice. What are some of the more interesting things they told you?

I'll start:<ul>[*]"If the roads are slick, just press the Traction Control Button. You can be going any speed, it will help. It's as good as four-wheel drive."[*]"You don't need to do anything special during the break-in period, only keep it under 85 mph."[*]"Yes, I know that you were next in line for a new Mesa Beige LX, but that one that just came in has $3,000 in extras from the factory." None of the extras were in fact installed at the factory, they were all dealer-added options.[/list]

Regards,

Maugham<font color=pink><font size=-5><center>

[This message has been edited by Maugham (edited 12-01-2001).]
</font>

[This message has been edited by Ken Nix (edited 01-23-2002).]

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Ken Nix:
Yes there has been times when an Odyssey has gone for either msrp or even below. Reality is, Very few times. (just check this forum, probably less than 1 out of every hundred) There is more of a demand for the vehicle than a supply. We price our Odysseys here at Beaverton Honda for $1495 over msrp, this includes the northwest protection package, which includes paint protection, interior protection and undercoating. Yes, the 1495 is additional profit. Our owner wanted to at least give the customer something for their money, which is a lot more than I can say for many dealers out there. Usually somewhere between The $1495 over and MSRP we will reach an agreement. The price is not set in stone and the manager makes a decision at the time depending on color, availability, allocation and todays market.

Another reason I'm here is to better understand how my customers feel. I would love to hear from anybody about what made your "purchasing experience" or "NON-purchasing experience", "good" or "bad". I'm looking to improve my relationship with my customers so I have more repeat customers. I'm trying to achieve a WIN/WIN situation.
If you have any questions, I'll try my best to find the answers. If you would like to contact me please feel free to do so.
Thank you
Ken Nix (503)643-5577
Bob Lanphere's Beaverton Honda
</font>
If you want to improve relationships with your customers, don't force add ons that people don't want. Who are you to decide that everyone has to buy your so-called "protection package"?

* paint protection: Not needed these days
* interior protection: $5 can of spray ScotchGuard
* undercoating: Also not needed anymore

This equals $1500? I don't think so.

Your owner wants to "at least give the customer something for their money." HUH? What do you call buying the car itself? That excuse for forcing add ons is total B.S. Let your customer decide for themselves what they want to buy and pay for.

You say that dealerships that take a deposit but then try to push a van that mysteriously has 2-5 thousand dollars worth of accessories are "devious and unethical." What exactly do you call your "protection package" that you apparently force people to buy?

If you want to improve relations with customers, stop playing games. And don't blame it on "the owner." If you work for an owner that plays games (like forcing the "protection package") you play games also.

[This message has been edited by Steve Pert (edited 01-23-2002).]

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
Well we were told that the $3995 addendum for an Ody in stock was a "Phoenix market adjustment"...so my fiance asked 'well what if we pretend its from somewhere else?'...
....then we were told the virtues of the Desert Protection Package, especially in Arizona...I showed the manager my duty badge and a wallet picture of my Pit Bull "Rocky"..."thx, but we have our own Protection Package!!!"
I am glad that salesmen and managers are joining and commenting/answering questions/concerns...for these are the guys that I will call for my next purchase...if I am going to 'give' someone MSRP/ie: nice profit I expect that (a) they know the product better than I (b) they respect the knowledge and research of the consumer (c) they tremble and succumb to the power of WWW.ODYCLUB.COM!

------------------
2002 Silver EX
1996 VW Gti
1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Aren't these "______ Protection Packages" ridiculous??? Salesman Ken Nix pushes a "Northwest Protection Package." When I lived in Vermont they were called "New England Protection Packages." Now OdyRocky mentions a "Desert Protection Package." These $1500 ripoffs are a joke and are totally not worth more than a $5 can of ScotchGuard.

By the way OdyRocky, I finally realized that your "1999 Pit Bull/Catahoula Leopard dogs" may actually be different dogs!? I thought they were a cross between the two breeds.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Hmmmm....maybe I can sell a "Garage Protection Package". You know those flourescent lights in a garage can wreak havoc with a good paint job unless you have my special protection coating...

OdyRocky, I thought you had one thousand, nine hundred and ninety nine of those dogs!

1 - 20 of 73 Posts