Honda Odyssey Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime last year I preformed a complete brake job. Since then the front right (pass side) rotor has warped twice. I tighten my lug nuts with a torque wrench to avoid warping the rotors. I cleaned and lubed the calipers and pins ect. I have changed the fluid, and bleed the system. The caliper moves freely, and does not appear to be binding. So what gives? Is this a symptom of a bad wheel bearing?

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
If the caliper is sticky you will have a lot more brake dust on that rim. Possible wheel bearing.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Can you clarify the problem? What you are calling warped rotors is a pulsation in the brake pedal that is present only when braking?

Did you replace the front rotors and the problem went away but later recurred?

What brand of rotors did you use?

Just to be safe, check the lower ball joints if not already done -- get the tire just a few inches off the ground and use a pry bar (and block of wood on the ground) to push up on the bottom of the tire. Look at the lower ball joint while doing so... any movement means bad ball joint.

·
Registered
68 Posts
to add to the above, whats the driving conditions. hard and heavy breaking followed with cold can cause it as well. so like you break real hard and then drive through a puddle.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have replaced the rotors 2 times. First when I did the brake job, then a few months later when the pulsation in brake pedal and steering wheel came back. Now 6 months later I am looking at changing the pads and rotor again. The van gets really violent on the pass side front, when you apply the breaks. It does not matter if you hit them hard or normal. The amount of pedal pulsing and steering wheel jerking increases more with time. When I change the pads and rotor everything is good for a while. I do not see any build up of brake dust on the wheels. I did use advance stuff, due to lack of local dealer.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have had good luck with OEM replacements from Brembo such as

Brembo Replacement Rotor

and you cannot go wrong with Honda rotors from the dealer.

All my track friends (me too) try to season the rotors with used pads and bed in the pads with used rotors. Sometimes everything is falling apart and you have to change both, but they say you get better results one at a time.

·
Registered
166 Posts
I have had good luck with OEM replacements from Brembo such as

Brembo Replacement Rotor

and you cannot go wrong with Honda rotors from the dealer.

I decided to peruse the SEARCH for rotors and came across this thread.... In the 8-years I have had the Ody I have replaced the front rotors 4-times all because of the "pulsing" as mentioned in this initial post. Each time the dealer replaced and I need them again and it's only been about 18-months since I had it done. I have never gone through rotors like this in previous vehicles and my driving style has not changed - I'm told the warped rotors come from overheating.... how do I prevent this?? I do not drive fast, or brake fast and "coast" towards exit ramps and red lights....

Been thinking of drilled or slotted rotors.... maybe getting a larger rotor.... think any of this would help?

·
Registered
52 Posts
silkhope:

You mentioned that you cleaned the calipers - did you remove corrosion from that part of the caliper on which the stainless steel pad retainers sit? I ask this because corrosion underneath the pad retainers can cause the retainers to lift up and lock the pads in place, causing pulsing, overheating, etc. There is a detailed description of the problem and solution here: PART 2: Brake servicing in snowy areas

- Dan

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow! thanks for the great link. No, I did not sand and clean that thoroughly. I was thinking of just replacing the calipers, but I am not sure about which ones to get. I fear the stealer will be to costly.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Good link from Daneli1

Another thought: check your car's rear brakes. If they aren't doing some of the braking, then the front ones will have to do more work and will heat more.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just an update on my rotor problem. It turned out to be the caliper. The piston was sticking due to corrosion on it. I had to buy a reman caliper from local parts store. I hope it holds up as long as my original.

·
Registered
613 Posts
Silkhope, that's what I going to guess, seen it a few times myself on other cars. FWIW, I bought magnum brakes drilled rotors and ceramic pads and they are a gigantic improvement over the "grinding" sort of pad that was in the van (original?) when I bought it and warped rotors. More expensive but great brakes now. I would not use OEM pads, try ceramic. Less heat if you trust the marketing.

·
Registered
249 Posts
What I was referring to was upgrading rotor size and thickness with the '00 RL rotors when you switch over to RL calipers, pads and caliper brackets.
Much better brake feel. See here for more info.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Looks good, now I have something new to think about. I have one question, which is, will my 16 rims fit over them?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts