Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up our 2002 EX about 2 weeks ago. Overall we really like it head and shoulders above our '98 Windstar. Hopefully this new Honda tranny design is more robust than the previous design and the Ford tranny I've already had rebuilt twice. Gee, I bet you never heard anybody say that about a Windstar before. :)

Anyhow, I must say that while Honda seems to show a lot of thought in most areas there are some where even Ford did a much better job. For instance...

- What's with this 3 minute lights off timer when your unloading? What Honda marketeer thought it takes a family 3 minutes to unload a van full of kids and groceries/shopping bags? Having to shut a door again just to get the interior lights to come back on is rather annoying. The Ford would just wait until 45 minutes had passed at which point it shut off all the interior lights so as not to drain the battery. Smart.

- If you leave on a dome light or two, prepare for a dead battery! Considering that just about everything is controlled by the computer I have no idea why Honda chose to allow dome lights to remain on for hours and drain the battery. They shut off the interior lights in three minutes to save the battery and then allow any domes that have been switched on to burn until the batter dies. Duh... I never had to worry about this with the Ford.

- No glove box light!!! What were the Honda guys thinking? This is truly a no brainer in a $27k vehicle.

- No floor lighting? The Ford had this great "theater lighting" that lit up the entire interior even under the dash and the seats! You might as well carry a flash light in the Honda if you want to tell what's in your car after dark.

- Ford, Dodge and so on also allow strange little features like this to be programmed into the computer by the owner using an odd series of steps like turning the ignition on and off three times while standing on one foot. A little arcane, but at least they had the capability of customizing the vehicle. I haven't found anything like this in the Honda. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Like I said... since there really aren't any big issues, these are the ones that I notice. But I don't think that completely negates them as issues. Some of this stuff just wasn't well thought out.

Also, I might add that while my Ody is the "most powerful" mini van, it doesn't really feel that way. Because the domestic vehicles develop their power at lower RPM's, both the Ford and the Dodge "feel" more responsive. There are still times when the 2002 seems to wait until it gets into it's powerband to get going. Still, it's acceptable.

Don't get me wrong, I don't wish I'd bought another Windstar. :)

Scott

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
ExFordOwner,

Congratulations!

I feel the same way about the interior lighting and I'd add that the controls for the EX-L seat heaters need some improvement. I believe that they should automatically reset to the OFF position when you shutting off the ignition instead of staying at the setting (low or high) at which they were left.

An alternative would be to give the driver a control for the passenger side. This would make it easier to shut off the seat heat when the passenger exits the vehicle, or to warm up the seat prior picking up a passenger.

Regards,

Maugham

·
Registered
39 Posts
ExFO,

I'm with you. After driving Ford products for thirty years (Has it been that long?!!) this is my first Honda, and though I like most of the design/build quality of the Ody, there are those little irritating 'features' which drive me nuts.
As you mention, the lights (or lack of them) could use improving - I'm shopping now for suitable add-ons.

The most annoying is the re-locking feature: Press unlock on the remote and within 30 seconds the doors will relock for you. I learned this the hard way - outside in a torrential rainstorm. Had to run back in the house twice to re-unlock. Sometimes its better if the van didn't think so much for you!

------------------
00EX (16K)
90 Sable wagon (168K)
89 Cougar (205K)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeB:
The most annoying is the re-locking feature: Press unlock on the remote and within 30 seconds the doors will relock for you. I learned this the hard way - outside in a torrential rainstorm. Had to run back in the house twice to re-unlock. Sometimes its better if the van didn't think so much for you!

</font>
Hi George,

If I'm not mistaken, you can turn off that relock option. On my '01 LX with factory alarm, the control box for the alarm system is mounted under the dash just to the left of the gas peddle. There's a three way sliding switch on the side of the box. All the way in one direction auto arms and locks the doors. In the middle, it arms the alarm but does not lock the doors, and the other extreme doesn't "auto" anything. You have to punch the button.

I don't know if your Ody is the same way but it's relatively easy to check out and would solve your problem if you want to. Just remember that if you turn this off, you'll have lock the van yourself which probably isn't an issue anyway.

FWIW,

------------------
Drive Safe,
Steve R.
'01 SS LX
Cargo tray, leather steering wheel, mud guards, alarm, fog lights, transmission cooler, in-dash CD player, Kelton subwoofer, under seat storage tray.

[This message has been edited by Intrepid175 (edited 12-18-2001).]

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by GeorgeB:
The most annoying is the re-locking feature: Press unlock on the remote and within 30 seconds the doors will relock for you. </font>
IMHO, I think the auto relock is a great idea. It does it just in case you hit the unlock button on the remote after you put your keys away. It's just to ensure you don't inadverdently leave your car unlocked at the airport for a week for instance.

·
Registered
39 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by Intrepid175:
Hi George,

If I'm not mistaken, you can turn off that relock option. On my '01 LX with factory alarm, the control box for the alarm system is mounted under the dash just to the left of the gas peddle.

</font>
Thanks for the tip! My '00 EX doesn't have an alarm and I don't recall ever seeing a mention of the switch in the owners manual, but I will take a look. Thanks again.

------------------
00EX (16K)
90 Sable wagon (168K)
89 Cougar (205K)
67 Sunbeam Alpine (??K)
52 Ford Flathead V8(72K)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts