Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
2000 Honda Ody Ex with 192,xxx miles.
I have a bad rear wheel bearing on drivers side.
The mechanic quoted $339 + tax.
$250 for part and $89 for about one hour of labor.
I really would like to save some money on this repair.
Is this a fairly simple DIY job?
If so, can someone walk me through the procedure?
Any special tools required?

Thanks for any help.
-jasper

edit: Just doing a quick search online shows the part (512180) for less than a $100. I think this guy is trying to rip me off.

·
Registered
54 Posts
This is a fairly easy fix. The hardest part is getting the nut loose that holds the hub in place. It's torque spec is 181 ft-lbs. I had to put a piece of pipe on my 1/2" drive breaker bar and really lean on it to get it loose. You will also need a torque wrench that goes this high to put it all back together. I borrowed one from Autozone.

Other than that it's as simple as taking off the wheel, removing the brake drum and breaking the nut loose. Once the hut is off, the hub will come right off. Installation is the reverse.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This is a fairly easy fix. The hardest part is getting the nut loose that holds the hub in place. It's torque spec is 181 ft-lbs. I had to put a piece of pipe on my 1/2" drive breaker bar and really lean on it to get it loose. You will also need a torque wrench that goes this high to put it all back together. I borrowed one from Autozone.

Other than that it's as simple as taking off the wheel, removing the brake drum and breaking the nut loose. Once the hut is off, the hub will come right off. Installation is the reverse.
kknh3,
thanks for the tip. -jasper

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
The pic is the wrong bearing Jasper, that is a front wheel bearing. The rear has 4 bolts that hold it to the rear arm through the backing plate.

·
Registered
54 Posts
The pic is the wrong bearing Jasper, that is a front wheel bearing. The rear has 4 bolts that hold it to the rear arm through the backing plate.
I believe this statement is incorrect. Looking on alldatadiy.com at the rear hub exploded diagram for the 99-01 Ody, there are 4 bolts that hold the backing plate on knuckle of the rear arm, but the hub itself is held on by the spindle nut. The hub simply slides over the spindle and is held in place by the nut, which is tightened to 181 ft-lbs. The backing plate stays in place when the hub assembly is removed and replaced.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
You will need slide hammer to take off the rear hub on 99-01. You should be able to borrow it from your local auto parts store.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just an update. Since the temperatures are now only in the teens here in Minnesota, I decided I didn't want to tackle this job myself.
Yesterday, I found Pep Boys to be more reasonable, charging $230 installed (out the door) with 1 year part/labor warranty. Where as the first repair shop wanted $250 for just the part alone. Anywho, Pep Boys got the job done in an hour, and the vehicle is rolling great again. :)

Thanks for your help.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts