Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sometimes when I make a sharp right and increase speed a strange
Noise comes from the right hand side.... The best to describe it feels and sounds like the bodykit it vibrating and shaking (front lip) any thoughts ?

·
Registered
90 Posts
mine progressively got louder as i veared or turned rite. when i jacked it up, felt no difference between left and rite tire. replaced rite wheel bearing, noise and vibration gone.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'm experiencing a similar noise when turning right on the right side of the van also. It sounds like a windup toy. My guess is power steering or wheel bearing too. Any leads?

·
Registered
21 Posts
I'm experiencing a similar noise when turning right on the right side of the van also. It sounds like a windup toy. My guess is power steering or wheel bearing too. Any leads?
Oh, wow...I have the exact problem, it just started a few days ago, it doesnt happen all the time but when it does, it happens when turning right.

And the sound, yes...like a windup toy! haha good call! :)

Any suggestion on what it could be? I thought it might be the brakes wearing down, but I dunno.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It came and went,when turning right, definately CV it was wrecked. Changed both near and off side.No more noise and handles better.:)

·
Registered
930 Posts
Just had this issue if it is the wheel bearing. i learned alot after tearing my front end completely apart...........again. Mine was real bad so mine probably was louder than yours. My wheel moved in ways it shouldnt when elevated off the ground. It was to the point where it almost sounded like the pads were gone and the steel plate was scraping the rotor. but it would sound different when turning a corner or changing lanes.....because weight was being transfered to other ends of the vehicle. if your cv boots are not cracked or ripped then they should be fine.

·
Registered
21 Posts
if your cv boots are not cracked or ripped then they should be fine.
That brings me to my question, is it possible that a cv joint be broken but the rubber isnt ripped? there is a line crack, but its not torn, I am assuming that it got dry due to age?

I checked (fronts only) all the brakes and dust sheilds and they are all fine.

I do hear a ticking sound (not too loud) on the front right, but no woh woh woh sound that indicates its wheel bearing.

I dunno, im lost...:DD

·
Registered
22 Posts
If you want to test to see if it's the wheel bearing, try riding the brake when you hear the noise. Doing this temporarily shifts some of the weight of the vehicle from the wheel bearing to the brake caliper assembly, changing the way the noise will sound. Don't forget to check your CV boots for any cuts/tears or leaking grease. See if any stones or other objects are stuck in your tire tread. Could be a noise there too. (don't ask me why I know about that)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi,

Sorry for asking soo many questions. I really appreciate the help everyone has put, thanks!

So, just an update on whats happening, after checking the brake pads and suspension, and etc. I drove it, and now its making a grinding sound when im braking. I noticed that it only happens when im rolling speed or at around 20km/h.

I still hear that other sound (windup toy), from time to time. A better way of describing this sound is imagine a train stopping at slower speeds and it makes the eeeeeee sound when the pads hitting on the train's wheel? (I think thats where the sound of the train comes from when braking). This sound that my van makes happens when I press on the brakes, and when I release the brakes, it still stay making the sound for like another second or two.

I am suspecting that it has now something to do with brakes! because yesterday I checked the cv boots and no grease leaking. There is only a crack, due to the age of the rubber, but no leaks.

Any thoughts on this???

ps: the ticking sound I guess could be from rock in the tire thread.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was about to post this same question from my '96 Odyssey.

I started to have the same problem when I turn right and only right. I have noticed that it does not do it when I am NOT pressing the gas. I changed the front right wheel bearing and it didn't fix the problem.

I just don't understand what it could be. The bushings do look worn but haven't really looked at the CV joint.

Of course, this goes along with the ABS light that is still on after I replaced the left rear wheel sensor. I haven't had time to check to see which one it is this time. It comes on about every third start up instead of every time.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts