Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that the simplest mod of all is the addition of wheel locks. I was wondering where everyone keeps the key in their van for the locks . On my Windstar, it had a clip and lanyard which attacked to the jack handle.
I haven't even looked at the jack location yet. I've only had my van a couple days and am not fully familiar with everything yet.
I put it in the tray under the right seat for now, but I would like to have it with the Jack if possible.

FW_in_OKC
"02" TW EX
Splash shields, door edge guards, ash tray & wheel locks (so far)

·
Registered
205 Posts
It can go in the rear where the jack is, but it has the ability to fall deeper through the panel where it is located to a location where it is unretrievable. I simply put mine in with the spare tire just to make it a little harder for a thief to find than in the glovebox if its only the wheels they are after. Your average thief isnt going to think to look under the carpet where the spare tire is located.

·
Registered
1,382 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by FW_in_OKC:
...the simplest mod</font>
LOL: Not another claim for the simplest mod! I think this one has to get behind:
1. The gear shift knob replacement (my nomination).
2. The "key" mod.

This one is really hard since you have to walk around the van and kneel or bend over, acts that get more difficult every year

Mel

[This message has been edited by Mel (edited 12-21-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
NOT GOOD! I can tell you now that before I'm finished with that key, it will be in with the jack, on a lanyard and clipped to the jack handle so it won't get lost. When I get done, I'll post the solution in some detail or get someone to post it for me, pictures and all.
Like, I couldn't believe that Honda didn't provide a zippered portfolio to hold your owners manual and other car papers. All I got from the dealership was a heavy paper envelope with advertising all over it.
Heck, you even get one of those with a Chevy.

FW_in_OKC

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
My digital camera is currently TU so here my 59 cent solution to the wheel lock key problem. I went to the hardware store with my wheel lock key in hand and found a 1" diameter black rubber chair/cane tip which the lock fit into nicely. I purchased the thing and headed home. It took less than 5 minutes to add this mod. I poked a hole in the center of the bottom of the rubber tip. I drilled a 1/16" hole in the flat horizontal area just aft of the jack in that neat storage area and fastened the tip in the hole with a 1/2" long self taping screw that I had laying around. I put the key in the new holder up to the groves on the key and it is right where it belongs, with the other tire tools.
This one was just toooooo simple! I'll send a photo if I can get the digicam working.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Fred, I like your idea of storing the wheel lock key in a mounted rubber chair tip.

Before searching the Ody site I came up with the idea of using an old film canister and trapping in one of the tools.

link to a picture of my setup

I was initially lean towards putting it with the spare tire, but I wanted to put it someplace that the road side service or the tire service store could likely find it without me around.

BrianB

·
Registered
608 Posts
Where, or where to put the key..?

In the 02, they gave me a bag to put the dirty flat tire in. It is in the compartment immediately in front of where the jack is located... I tossed the key in there.... I hope.. Now I'm going out to look..

I doubt (hope) if anyone is interested in stealing wheels, they won't start breaking windows to find the key..

Now I'm getting paranoid about losing the key..

btw: I also carry around one of those 12V air compressors, which has helped me limp to a gas station to get a tire fixed. It also can be used to inflate the spare if that is down in pressure.....

·
Registered
616 Posts
Re: Where, or where to put the key..?

arnereil said:
In the 02, ... It is in the compartment immediately in front of where the jack is located...
I know my kids (2 & 5) and if I left the key anywhere they can easily get to it they would. They have a health imagination and that wheel lock key could be anything from a spaceship to a sand castle decoration. In the last few years I have come to realize that anything in the van loose I may never see again between the stores, parks, and other kids in and out the van.

BrianB

·
Registered
31 Posts
When I got the wheel locks for my 2002 Ody, the wheel lock package came with a special nylon tie with a spade on it. You just strap the nylon tie on the wheel nut wrench and the spade plugs into the center of the key socket. The nylon spade holds the key very securely. You just unplug the key off the wrench when ever you need it. Maybe you can by one of these special nylon tie.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts