Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A tiff occurring here: when I start the car in the garage, I immediately shift into reverse, no waiting other than a split second. Got this technique from my other car to keep it from revving and "clunking" into reverse. Is this okay? Give it a couple of seconds or not?

P

·
0 Posts
It usually takes me a second or two, since my car lives in the driveway. I purposely let it run as long as possible before I take off in the morning. But other then that, I think that I usually get belted in, fire it up, fiddle with the CD, and then go on my way. And I have always get my foot on the brake, release the emergency brake, and then shift into gear. I have a Civic, so the parking brake is not 'foot' powered.

I'd probably recommend giving it about 30+ seconds to get the engine juices flowing (especially in the mornings when the car is cold). But when you're out running errands, just give it a few seconds.

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix (gone, but not forgotten) & Belle (aka Belzebub)

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 09-26-2001).]

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poodleluvr:
It usually takes me a second or two, since my car lives in the driveway. I purposely let it run as long as possible before I take off in the morning...I'd probably recommend giving it about 30+ seconds to get the engine juices flowing (especially in the mornings when the car is cold)....Michelle</font>
Michelle,

How cold is cold, there in Oceanside, California?

Regards,

------------------
Maugham

"I plan to live forever. So far, so good"
'02 RP EX-L due 10/17
'85 Prelude that we'll keep!
'01 Ninja folding aluminum scooter
'00 New Balance Model 658 Shoes w/ '01 White Laces

·
Registered
342 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
A tiff occurring here: when I start the car in the garage, I immediately shift into reverse, no waiting other than a split second. Got this technique from my other car to keep it from revving and "clunking" into reverse. Is this okay? Give it a couple of seconds or not?</font>
Hi MerpsMom,

This is just my opinion but if you're grabbing the shift lever as soon as you let go of the key, that seems to me to be a tad quick. I don't believe in extended warm up periods, especially in my part of the world, but I do like to give the engine a few seconds to let the oil pressure stabilize. The reference I use is when all the idiot lights finally go out on the dash after start up.

One thing that comes to mind is that it's not unusual, especially on a cold start first thing in the morning, for the engine to idle a little faster than it normally does when warmed up. My Ody usually idles around 700 rpm when warm but can get has high as 1200 rpm when cold. This usually settles down to something under 1000 rpm by the time all the idiot lights go off. If you're shifting into gear while the rpm is still up there a bit, it would, at least in part, explain the shift harshness you're trying to avoid. I don't know if this will help or not but it's something to try.

FWIW!

·
Registered
564 Posts
My main concern is that you're putting strain on the engine (however slight) by shifting into gear before ANY oil has pumped into the head. My rule of thumb is to wait about 10 seconds before getting into gear, and then driving gently until normal operating temp is reached. The slight thump into gear doesn't bother me nearly as much as knowing that my pistons are pumping away in the cylinders with no lubrication.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
Michelle:

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">It usually takes me a second or two, since my car lives in the driveway. I purposely let it run as long as possible before I take off in the morning. But other then that, I think that I usually get belted in, fire it up,</font>
Why not get in, fire it up, then belt in and fiddle, etc.?

I've always done that. As Intrepid says, give it time to get oil pressure going, etc. Start the car first, then spend a few seconds getting belted in. On warm days, you're then ready to go.

If you belt in first then start up, on warm days you either (a) wait there possibly doing nothing, or (b) taking off a few seconds sooner and maybe not letting the engine settle in.

Just my $0.02.

P

·
0 Posts
Yeah, I was trying to remember how I did all of that. You don't really think about it. Good idea tho.

Maugham, it gets cold here. 40 degrees at 6:00 in the morning is PRETTY COLD for someone who's spent her whole life in so Cal! There was ice on my old car once when we had to leave it outside--that was NOT fun! And it's a convertible (we still have it) and sometimes I'd feel the cloth top and it would be rock hard. Once the sun comes up it isn't so bad, it was something like 75 degrees today (and 4,000 students at my school were crammed into the stadium for a fire drill in the HEAT!!).

I know, I know, I've never had to walk to school five miles in the snow, uphill each way...

Funny, our most valuable car (which happens to be my Civy) gets banished to the driveway. Greeeeaaat. Hope nobody takes off with my H.

Okay Michelle, shut up already...

------------------

Phoenix (gone, but not forgotten) & Belle (aka Belzebub)

·
Registered
478 Posts
"Topic: When Do You Shift Into Reverse? "

Whenever I want to go backwards!

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

I would agree with the consensus here, just start the van and let the oil and trans fluid pressure come up (just a few seconds) and then put it in gear like normal. No need for extended warm up in most climates, just take it easy until the engine gets up to operating temp.

------------------
On the waiting list for my '02 EX Nav in RED!
GOD BLESS AMERICA!!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hmmm...I'm usually on the lookout for stuff like that, Ody, but was too serious this time.
Then, it's settled: get in, turn the key, belt up, fiddle with some dials or something for a second or two, then go. Thanx....

·
Registered
331 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by poodleluvr:
Yeah, I was trying to remember how I did all of that. You don't really think about it. Good idea tho.

Maugham, it gets cold here. 40 degrees at 6:00 in the morning is PRETTY COLD for someone who's spent her whole life in so Cal! There was ice on my old car once when we had to leave it outside--that was NOT fun! And it's a convertible (we still have it) and sometimes I'd feel the cloth top and it would be rock hard. Once the sun comes up it isn't so bad, it was something like 75 degrees today (and 4,000 students at my school were crammed into the stadium for a fire drill in the HEAT!!).

I know, I know, I've never had to walk to school five miles in the snow, uphill each way...

Funny, our most valuable car (which happens to be my Civy) gets banished to the driveway. Greeeeaaat. Hope nobody takes off with my H.

Okay Michelle, shut up already...

</font>
Ice on the car once!!! It was 43 this morning north of Boston. The first wisps of snow should be seen in the air by Halloween. My snow tires go on by Nov 15. Then ice/frost on the windshield every day till sometime in April!!! That is unless the wind chill is -25F - frost doesn't seem to form on those mornings!!

How come all the houses in CA have garages - you really don't need them. Most homes in New England don't, so our cars are outside 24/7.

Michelle - just try walking to school once so you too can tell you children about the experience. Make sure you find a good hill!!

·
Registered
564 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by robr2:
How come all the houses in CA have garages </font>
Keeps the dust off.

Actually, I mostly use my garage for sun protection, not cold protection.

------------------
-= Darell =-
2002 Ody EXL-Nav (TW) ordered, but apparently never coming.
2001 Civic EX

P

·
0 Posts
yeah, too bad it's six miles to school (I actually measured) and we don't get snow. Figuring that I walk about four miles an hour, it'd take me an hour and a half to get to school. School starts at 7:30 so I'd have to leave at about 5:45, THAT'S BEFORE THE SUN GETS UP!!!!

Plenty of hills, tho (found them all when I was attempting to drive a stick).

Garages serve many purposes: place to store junk, place to keep the cars safe, keep the cars warm in the morning...

Michelle

------------------

Phoenix ~i~ & Belle (aka Belzebub)
Click here to see my site!

[This message has been edited by poodleluvr (edited 09-27-2001).]

·
Registered
596 Posts
Darell, what a radical idea, using your garage for your van! If you came to our neighborhood, maybe we could give a class on just what that part of the house was designed for.

I, too, shift into reverse when I want to back up, Hee! Hee!

I like to let the juices get to all the parts and let the engine settle just a few rpm before putting the van into gear. Ya oughta see how my neighbor, the service station owner does it. He jumps into his truck and cranks the engine and has the truck moving before the engine has a chance to even achieve full idle rpm. If he is backing out of his driveway, he is in forward gear and burning the clutch before the truck has stopped its backward progress.

To each his own, but, I like to treat my expensive machinery with a little more care. That care usually returns greater reliability, in the long run. I never had a minute of trouble with my DC minivan and many others did. You decide.........

Jerry O. 2001 GG LX

1 - 13 of 13 Posts