Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have had our 2002 for about 3 weeks. If I read right, it has a 20 Gal US gas tank. If that is right, our low fuel light comes on when the guage hits between 1/4 and E, but when I fill it up I only put in less than 15 gallons. That would mean I still have over 5 gallons in the tank when the light comes on.

Anyone else have observations on this? I'm really just trying to be sure I don't expect to have more gas in the tank than there is.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I filled up last night for the first time. The gauge showed less than 1/4 tank and no light was on. I tried to fit as much fuel in as possible, and couldn't get more than 14 gallons in it...

------------------
2002 EXL-RES Redrock Pearl

2001 Chevy 2500HD crewcab 4x4

·
Registered
331 Posts
The fuel tank is very shallow and as such, the float doesn't really much height to move. Hence, the low fuel light comes on with what many people think is too much fuel.

Mine comes on with about 5 gallons left. Although it can be annoying, one positive is that it forces me to stop and get gas asap. I'm one of those who tries to drive on fumes and my wife refills at 1/2 tank. So as a compromise, I refill at low fuel light.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Turnip,

I have experienced the same thing every time I've filled up since I got my van in October, and I've driven 7,000 miles since then. If I fill up as soon as the light turns on, I end up putting about 15 gallons in. As a test, I once let the needle drop to empty and still only put in 18 gallons.

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
My light came on today and I filled up 13.8 gallons before the fuel nozzle cut-off. Our driveway is on an incline though so that probably contributed to the low fuel light? Our 98 Civic did the same thing with about 1/4 tank left...would be nice to have a trip computer that would calculate the EXACT amount left. Must be a Honda thing?

·
Registered
131 Posts
Just filled up for the second time. The low fuel light had been on for about 15 miles and the gauge was just above "E". I tried as hard as I could to get every last drop in the tank and I was able to put 15.465 gallons in there. So I would say in my van at least, the light comes on when there is about 5 gallons left. I would rather see it come on with about 3 gallons left. That would be adaquate enough of a warning to find quality fuel...

BTW, I averaged 17.6 mpg's on the second tank and I have just under 500 miles on the van...

------------------

·
Registered
130 Posts
Pretend your tank holds 18 gallons?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I just am still having trouble figuring out what difference it makes as long as it's constant. 3 or 5 gallons left but does it really matter?

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited 12-30-2001).]

·
Registered
131 Posts
<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by MerpsMom:
Pretend your tank holds 18 gallons?

Sorry, couldn't resist. I just am still having trouble figuring out what difference it makes as long as it's constant. 3 or 5 gallons left but does it really matter?

[This message has been edited by MerpsMom (edited 12-30-2001).]
</font>
Please keep in mind (if your comment is directed at me), that I traded an Olds Silhouette "Premier" in on my Honda. Not only did the Olds hold 26 gallons, but the light came on when there was about 2.5-3 gallons left. It also had a computer that would tell you exactly how much fuel was left in the tank, and it was accurate to within 1/2 gallon.

Maybe I was spoiled, but I now have to get used to a shorter cruising range and an idiot light that comes on when I theoretically have 1/4 tank left...

------------------

·
Registered
60 Posts
Don't feel too bad. I just switched over from a '98 Ford Windstar with the "25 gal. extended capacity" fuel tank option. The Windstar sending unit was so bad that the light would come on and in fact the gauge would be at E when there was about 7 gallons left in the tank! The most I ever put in the thing was around 20 gallons after driving around on E for about 3 days. Ford actually had a TSB on this and basically called it a feature... HA! That's Ford quality for you.

So, it could be worse. My '02 Ody does the same thing with about 5 gallons in the tank when the light comes on.

Scott

·
Registered
273 Posts
I have checked several times on my 02 EXL and on my old 99 EX. Both fuel lights came on when the tank still held 5.5 gals or it took 14.5 gal to fill.
Our '98 RL Acura is very different, with an 18 gal tank it will hold 15.5 gal when the light comes on.
As long as you know the car, I can't see where it matters.

·
Registered
169 Posts
I think it's a common prolbem. Mine does it also.

------------------
Odyssey 2002 Granite Green with DVD. Mudguards, and Fender flares.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I often will reset my "B" trip computer setting to zero when the light comes on, just so I know how much farther I can go. I figure about 75 miles or so. Of course, I usually try to get some gas before that point!

------------------
'02 RP EX NAV
Mudguards,cargo tray,Weathertech mats, lampguards, gold emblems,
17" TSW Spirit wheels with 235/55 Dunlop Sport A2 tires
"Nothing you do for children is ever wasted" G.Keillor

·
Registered
14 Posts
I see the same thing on my 2002 Ody. My fill up has been 15 gallons after the warning light is on.

Does the tank REALLY hold 20 gallons? I want to find out, but I am afraid that the 20 gallons is a typo and I will get stranded.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Our 2002 EX-L has consistently lit up with five gallons remaining. I'm not used to a fuel gauge with only three marks (F, 1/2, E), and I find the light acting as my 1/8 tank mark (ugh).

I've been spoiled with my VW TDi... at 48mpg you don't get too worried if the fuel light comes on :) Of course the first time it did come on I was on the stretch of I-95 through NC where nobody sold diesel... :-(

I have no reason to believe that Honda's tanks are smaller than 20 gallons, but if you think it's too much you can back over a curb and crunch the tank. Then lend the van to your kid (apparently my Grandfather did that to my Dad once. The fuel gauge never worked right again).

tg.

------------------
2002 SS EX-L
1998 VW Jetta TDi

·
Registered
67 Posts
Sometimes it comes on at 6 gallons left, other times 5 gallons left. We are averaging 18 miles per gallon so far with mixed, but mostly city driving. Our top mpg has been 19.9.
Eric
'02 GG EX-L 1900 Miles

1 - 16 of 16 Posts