Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2019 EXL rolls backward slightly whenever I put it into Park. Anyone else have that situation? Is that correct?
Thanks all—

·
Registered
87 Posts
Garage is most likely sloped. I would always suggest setting the parking brake. I had a "parking pin" break on me many years ago and my car rolled into the neighbors house. I have set the parking brake on all my cars ever since!

·
Registered
593 Posts
It’s normal, garage floor slopes towards the driveway (backwards).

I have two garage doors and can’t even fit the van
In the garage without folding mirrors

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
261 Posts
Parking Pawl is a lever type mechanism that usually clicks into the output shaft, when you shift the transmission into park. Since the indent has to 'sit' into one of the grooves of the shaft as to not let it spin and thus move, there is always a slight movement of the vehicle, when you place it in park and release the brake pedal while the 'lock' happens.

Vehicles with mechanical parking brakes experience this less, even with the parking brake engaged, than vehicles with electric parking brakes.

·
Registered
944 Posts
My driveway has a slight slope as well. The van does drop back a few inches in Park. Like airforceb2cc, I always use the parking brake. It prevents things from seizing up, although it will probably burn out the little motor at some time and will only cost $1,000 to fix :).

·
Registered
399 Posts
You can minimize the roll back by being in D mode, stepping on the brake to stop and shifting to P mode. If you start in R mode the drive-line slack will give a longer roll.

·
Registered
261 Posts
You can minimize the roll back by being in D mode, stepping on the brake to stop and shifting to P mode. If you start in R mode the drive-line slack will give a longer roll.
I usually am still in drive, with the foot on the brake pedal, depress the parking brake (foot is still on the brake pedal) and shift into Park. It still will gently roll. In inherent design of these electric parking brakes. I do not get that with my Ridgeline equipped with mechanical parking brakes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
This is sort of related, any chance your parking rod has gone bad, which is why there is a slight roll? I just saw something about an odyssey recall about the braking.

·
Registered
261 Posts
This is sort of related, any chance your parking rod has gone bad, which is why there is a slight roll? I just saw something about an odyssey recall about the braking.
Nope not the same. I have felt it with the BMW and AUDI the same way. Even my Civic did that.

·
Registered
47 Posts
How much good does setting the push button "hand brake" on an Ody do?
I'm not sure what you're trying to say. One would reasonably assume the electro-mechanical parking brakes work about as well as a typical pedal setup, or the old "rip-cords" in the center console, at least in terms of design parameters. That is, they keep an already-stationary vehicle from rolling away under most reasonable circumstances. It's true they probably don't have as much power as you could generate by burying the pedal with your foot, but good enough is good enough.

I'd argue they actually have the potential to work better in some cases. For example: my grandmother thinks she sets the parking brake on her car, but she doesn't have enough leg strength to overcome the spring force and if you forget to release it and drive away, you wouldn't know the difference. She maybe gets 3 clicks on the pedal. No engagement whatsoever, she just takes up the slack in the mechanism. In a case like this, the electric version would be a great improvement.

One thing I've not experienced yet is trying to emergency stop using only an electric parking brake due to hydraulic failure. I'm not sure what would happen in this case.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I'm just concerned that a mechanical brake sets and stays set, no idea how the electric one works and what could cause it to fail.

Try the parking brake for an emergency stop, I have and won't be doing that again.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
About this Discussion
17 Replies
10 Participants
Stan-qaz
Honda Odyssey Forum
Odyclub community is the #1 forum to discuss all things Honda Odyssey: minivans, safety, service maintenance, mods, and more.
Full Forum Listing