Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you usually do at the regular maintenance intervals? For example, at the first oil change, besides an oil change and tire rotation, what else do you do? I've always leased cars and so I've just done fluid changes, tire rotations etc... whatever was required. This car, I decided to finance so I guess I have a little more vested interest. At our dealer (don't know if all are the same) they list the service options in the following categories.. Good, Better, and Best. The upper two choices add on all sorts of engine and fuel additives etc which I've never really believed in. The first choice really would just be the required by manufacturer items plus the safety check of the vehicle. As far as engine sludge etc, I tend to believe that good quality fuel and an occasional carbon blow out of build up on the lifters by doing some redline shifting goes a long way.

·
Registered
463 Posts
I'd say do just the minimum required in the owners manual, which is not much. Actually, all of it can be done at home if you are mechanically inclined, but sometimes it does not hurt to have it done by the dealer to log it in for warranty purposes. Anything above what the manual says is just gravy for the dealer and wastes a lot of your money. Additives? Doesn't the manual recommend against additives like for the fuel system?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Do what is required. The other stuff the dealer is trying to sell just helps them with profit margin but provides no real benefit to you.

·
Registered
70 Posts
When the trans in my neighbor's Acura went the dealer wanted to see the maintenance record- Specifically, the dealer performed trans flush and service @50K (if I remember). My neighbor was able to produce this record. Only then did he get the $3K trans job covered under warranty. Don't know how this may (or may not) apply to Honda warranty agreement, but something to be aware of.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts