Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey gang! What are you guys going to upgrade to when it's time?

My 2005 LX with 225K KM has been great! I like how there's no VCM, no TPMS, cheaper 16" tires sizes, and things have been okay to work on for me. Lots of great memories with the family. But the body is getting rusty, dated, and I'd rather have an 8 seater (I have a big family). I almost want to upgrade to a 2010 but that might be silly. :LOL:

I don't want to spend too much so it has to be used. Unfortunately, the 5th gen 2018-19 with the ZF 9 speed transmissions sounds horrible from what I read? Also, I'm not really the Touring / Elite type.

Is the 4th gen, mainly the 2014-2017 the way to go for reliability?

I currently also have a 2016 Pilot EX AWD with 6 speed.

Thanks!
Rice

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
536 Posts
Like you, I like having 8 seats. Seriously, I would take a look at buying a lower mileage 3rd gen van if I were you. A 2010 EX is a good idea. Or 2014-2017 is a good choice, but IMO, the price difference of a used 2014 vs a 2010 is larger than it should be. I would avoid the current gen van if reliability is a concern.

I'm only at 86K miles, so I've got a long way to go. If a tree falls on it in the near future, I'll probably replace it with another 07-10 Odyssey, or maybe a Sienna. Barring an accident, I'll probably have mine for another 10-12 years so who knows what I'll replace it with.

Reactions: RiceKing

·
Registered
2006 Honda Odyssey (EX)
480 Posts
See I hate to be a pessimist so,

the goal is by the time the Ody kicks the bucket, nobody will need cars anymore...wishful thinking, but that's what optimism gets you.

·
Registered
70 Posts

My 2005 LX with 225K KM has been great! I like how there's no VCM, no TPMS, cheaper 16" tires sizes, and things have been okay to work on for me. Lots of great memories with the family. But the body is getting rusty, dated, and I'd rather have an 8 seater (I have a big family). I almost want to upgrade to a 2010 but that might be silly. :LOL:

I don't want to spend too much so it has to be used. Unfortunately, the 5th gen 2018-19 with the ZF 9 speed transmissions sounds horrible from what I read? Also, I'm not really the Touring / Elite type.

Thanks!
Rice
my wife has a 2016 MDX with zf9 tranny. It’s a bit jerky in surface traffic. Pretty fun to drive on freeway. Pretty reliable. Only drawback is the super expensive ATF. if gen 5 ody drives like her MDX, it would be a good one.

·
Registered
1,854 Posts
I'm 74, and my 2010 Ody, with 65K miles, and my 2011 BMW 328i, with 55K miles, will probably be my last cars, especially now that we drive so little.

·
Registered
289 Posts
I'm in no hurry, but it is actually something I've been thinking about.

I will probably keep my Ody for the kids to have something to drive, but am debating whether I can get away with a 3 row SUV, or should get another minivan - while not a common occurance, we recently had a long road trip with 7 people and a small dog, not something we could have done in an SUV.

The Hybrid Highlander and the upcoming 2021 Sienna (all are Hybrid) seem interesting having fuel economy of 33+ MPG. I'm kind of concerned about recent Odyssey reliability.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I was excited in my mind to get a newer gen Ody, but the reliability has been horrendous apparently from what I was reading. I would probably get another used 2010 model and let it go.. although I had a Kia Sedona rental and I thought it was kind of cool.. I'd wonder if I would go outside the box and find a 2015 sedona for a comparable price. Siennas although are great I'm not in love with the interior, seating, or the drive. Some of my other family have the newer body style and suspension bits etc seem to get worn out faster. Sadly if I get a 2010 it won't be any different than my 2006. When I hit over 200k on my 2001 and changed to a 2006 it was a nice upgrade.. I think a little change might just be nice. We tried a 3 row SUV and no passengers liked it. The drive was pretty good, but in reality it's about transporting people.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Seats were pretty nice stitching and patterns.. They were ventilated, the dash was different and infotainment not bad at all. It was a rental but it was pleasantly different in a little bit more of a luxury way? I'd go shopping for used and see how it holds up of course, so I might change my mind once I see a well used one..

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
536 Posts
Seats were pretty nice stitching and patterns.. They were ventilated, the dash was different and infotainment not bad at all. It was a rental but it was pleasantly different in a little bit more of a luxury way? I'd go shopping for used and see how it holds up of course, so I might change my mind once I see a well used one..
Hyundai and Kia have come a VERY long way, especially in terms of interior quality and materials quality. Mechanically, IMO, they've surpassed some Japanese brands like Nissan, which admittedly, has been on the decline. The Sedonas don't seem to have many transmission complaints, either. There are two things that concern me - one is their overall quality control, especially regarding their engines. In the 4 cylinder Sonatas (and I think Elantras), there are a number of complaints of engines not being machined properly from the factory and self-destructing around 100K miles. Interestingly, I haven't heard this on the 3.8L or 3.5L in the older Sedonas, but I'm not convinced that the quality control of the Koreans have reached a Toyota or Honda level. The other concern is regarding electronics... a common problem in the older Hyundais was the airbag wiring and sensors malfunctioning, which would disable the airbag system. These types of problems were too common for my comfort. I considered buying a used 2006+ Sedona before buying my Odyssey, and I still think they are an extremely good value, especially if you are buying new and get the 10 year warranty, but I was willing to pay a tiny bit more for Honda quality and safety as I was buying used.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I think what rocks the boat is... Honda and Toyota are NOT as reliable as they used to be. I hear more and more issues with the cars, consumer reports also see them sliding. My friends/family have experienced varying issues with their Toyota and Honda's from radios/infotainment dying, weird electrical issues, and plenty of recalls. Although I admit, I only know TWO people that have Kia's as personal vehicles, but none of them have mentioned a single problem. (Admittedly one has a 1 yr old Niro plug in hybrid that had a few engine lights but was told it was no big deal and then go in to get a few regular maintenance things done) The biggest complaint is lack of Kia dealers and/or service centers. I myself had not so great of a time with my local Honda dealer (so I never went back) And my neighbor had enough of their pilot to return it and go away to a Chevy Traverse.

99ody22"rims I totally was looking at the Stinger seriously a year ago but was on the fence with a couple German choices. I ended up getting another BMW though, but mainly because the "sports cars" were too low for my recently hurt back.

·
Registered
2007 Odyssey EX-L
536 Posts
True that Toyota and Honda are not as reliable as they used to be... but I think that has to do with the fact that they have gotten more complex more than their quality control has gone down, just my personal opinion. I'm weary of the new technologies from all manufacturers, especially the 8+ speed transmissions that nobody seems to have perfected yet. I've heard of infotainment screens being laggy and unfriendly to use, especially on Toyotas, but I'm not as concerned that it would impact the long-term reliability of the car itself.

For me, I'd much rather deal with a shitty but somewhat functional infotainment system, even when a car is new, than deal with a much higher possibility of engine failure 10 years down the road. Like you, though, I'm skeptical of the reliability of the newest Odyssey, and I don't have much faith in the Sienna's 8 speed transmission either. If I was forced to buy a new 2020 model 3 row vehicle, it would be a Pilot LX with the 6 speed automatic.

One of my close family friends bought a 2012 Sonata brand new. At the time, I thought it was an unbeatable value and a great deal. Five years later, the car went for its first inspection in NJ, just rolling over 100K miles so out of warranty. It failed for the ECU not being able to be read. He took it back to the dealer a number of times before giving up and trading it on a 2016 CX-5. This guy typically keeps cars a very long time, he had a 2003 MDX bought new that he kept to 300K miles. Anecdotal, but I don't know... not exactly confidence inspiring.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought my 2010 Odyssey DX for CA$36k OTR. The cheapest 2021 trim in Canada is the EX-RES for MSRP CA$50.6k OTR, so a little under CA$50k after discounts. Yikes!

My 2010 has less than 90k miles on it and it has been very reliable overall, so I'm doing whatever I can to try to get another 10 years out of it. Rust here in Canada has been the biggest challenge. After the Odyssey has been driven to the ground, the kids will all be grown up and moved away, so we can get a 2nd sedan instead of a new minivan.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Thanks!
Rice
I sold my 2005 Touring In 2016 after it was totaled by hail damage and bought a used 2011 EX-L. With RES, eight seater with 96000 miles on it . hI love it. I have put 50000 miles on it already. I changed the struts, shocks, spark plugs shortly after I got it. I had the timing belt/ water pump/ belt tensioner changed at 11000 miles for $950. The tires on it are Michelin’s that we’re on it when I got it, so they have 50000 miles on them. I get over 20 mpg around town and over 30 mpg highway. I love the carrying capacity.
damage

·
Registered
14 Posts
I’ve got a 2005 EX-L with 170k miles now. Treated us very well. Only thing that ever went bad was the axles at 150k. We are the 2nd owner since 92k. I’m seriously planning on upgrading to a 2021 Toyota Sienna. I really want the hybrid mpg and Toyota’s are quieter and more plush on the inside which I prefer.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts