Honda Odyssey Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just replaced both my axles, and i am running into an issue. The driver side went fine and i finished the job by torquing down the axle nut to 180ft-lbs. the passenger side is giving me issues. when i torque down the nut with my hand the rotor stops moving freely. i am somehow binding the wheel hub and the axle, causing it to not turn. i am lost and am not sure how to finish this job. This passenger side was a NIGHTMARE to work on and i don't want to have to take it all apart.

suggestions?

·
Registered
174 Posts
When doing the trans drain/fill a month or so ago, I *think* I remember the driver's side wheel moving freely with the trans in park and the other wheel on the ground (?) I *think* I remember that seeming strange. If your left wheel is on the ground, then the passenger side probably won't be able to rotate freely, as you describe because the axle is in the diff and unable to turn.

Does that make any sense at all? I'm just postulating that the lockup you describe is what I would expect in that scenario. I would torque the axle nut down, have both wheels in the air (safely with jack stands) put in in D with your foot firmly on the brake, and I *think* it would be correctly completed.

Sorry for my second guessing myself, I can't imagine what's occuring for any other reason.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I understand what you mean. I am not able to freely move the rotor, and can only move it one way about 1" and the other direction the same. This is just the play from the trans that the axles are connected too. So when i leave the nut loose, they move freely, and when i torque it down then the little back and forth play is not possible. I hope this makes it more clear on my side

1 - 3 of 3 Posts